Why do such rude, hateful myTakes get promoted and featured?

Hi y'all. :) So, over the past couple of days I've noticed these negative, and quite frankly, hateful myTakes getting promoted, and I wanted to know why?

Of course, everyone is allowed to express their own opinion, whether hateful or not, but I was wondering why it's encouraged around here, and often praised.

I don't want to specify which myTakes I am referring to for the sake of the individuals, but just look around in the myTake section, and you will see.

I'm just confused as to why this hateful behavior behavior is praised, and even encouraged by featuring such takes. I've heard G@G say time and time again that they wanted a positive user environment, and praising this hateful takes is doing the exact opposite.

No hate, just genuinely confused.

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally, I haven't noticed this. In fact, many myTakes are, I feel, well-intended and well-written. There are some very talented writers in this community. @Stacyzee and @zombiebabe are the first ones who come to mind.

The problem I have with the idea of getting rid of myTakes is that there are people here, myself included, have things that they want to say, but can't say them fully or properly in a regular post. They might have an important story to tell about themselves and their experiences that would be helpful for other people in similar situations.

Personally though, I'm sure that some things could be done differently regarding how myTakes get featured. I don't think that they should be automatically featured just because someone has the "Editor" tab.

I see what you're saying, but it's one of those "is it better for ten guilty men to go free or one innocent man to be imprisoned" things.

• One thing that they should not do is feature these takes that are passive aggressive and condescending. A slew of takes like these have gotten featured. I guess they just like stirring the pot.

• <3 Thanks. That means a lot to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because they encourage site traffic and hits. I have a problem with it too, it just shows that GAG values increasing site popularity over maintaining a positive and hate-free user experience.

• Yeah, I guess it has to be that way. It is so messed up. G@G should not encourage this type of behavior.

What Guys Said 10

• Everything is considered hateful these days, there is no possible way to make everybody think everything on the website is positive.

But people who feel the need to make posts about how they don't like some of the content are the main problem and yes, I am talking about you. It's the internet, people say everything under the sun here, when I was under 18 people either said something back or they just moved on with their life, they didn't stomp their feet and whine about how something was offensive and want it censored.

• I'm allowed to express concern.

Things that are considered "offensive" literally go against the site's guidelines, yet they allow racist and gender-hating things to stay up.

Also again G@G has stressed themselves that they wanted to encourage a positive and friendly user environment and causing shitstorms don't do that.

I am not saying that you should be censored when did I even say that? You're allowed to express your opinion no matter how hateful and ignorant all I am saying is that g@g is being a bit hypocritical with what it promotes and features.

• Things you think are racist are not racist, that is why they are not removed.

The problem is not with what is said in 99.9% of posts on this website, it's with the hypersensitive crybabies that don't like what is said in those posts.

• Takes are the worst thing to ever happen to this site.

It's a Q&A site. It's in the freaking name. Are there not enough websites already out there that provide narcissistic assholes with a soapbox to stand on? Do we really need another one?

• Well they go create more website traffic. That's why takes were added in.

• Yes, the worst, and even more so than the Articles that used to exist because now people can write shitty takes and stay Anonymous too.

• Because of the most fundamental parts of human psychology.
    Watch this video, it will answer all of your questions. If you still have questions after the video, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

• you sure cause I say a ton of hateful things all the time
    cause im allowed to disagree and think it's stupid

• They are not hateful. You just don't agree with them.

• But g@g has said itself that they wanted to encourage a positive user environment. Peoole are allowed to express their opinion while ignorant, but these takes are just not positive. They should be allowed to post them but they should not be encouraged by featuring and promoting.

• Do you realise that we cannot discuss with you about that when you don't give us just ONE example of what you find so hateful and negative?

• Blame the admins

• Because they are well written regardless of being hate filled bullshit lies half the time.

• freedom of speech.

• You guys aren't even reading my question. -_-

"course, everyone is allowed to express their own opinion, whether hateful or not, but I was wondering why it's encouraged around here, and often praised. "

• there's so many different people on this site, some with similar opinions, some with different.

• I doubt it's employees of gag promoting them rather it's an algorithm that promotes them based on likes and responses.

I'll assume you're talking about the political ones from right wing fascists who want to compare liberals to nazis. That one was absolutely ridiculous.

• Actually that was one of them. Also there was one about skinny shaming that just hated on fat people, and there was one about race being genetic. Also there was one that was just hateful to women that was about why people shouldn't get married. I thought all of these were ridiculous.

• the ones from the nuts and idiots that are the most shocking or ridiculous are going to get the most attention and hence promoted by their algorithm.

Frankly they should at least eliminate the political propaganda intended to inflame and antagonize. This isn't a political site.

• They shouldn't be. ridiculous shit like that should not be promoted.

• I looked over the last few days worth and I'm not seeing what I'd call hate. It would help if you could give at least one example and why it is hate in your view.

I mean I see things I disagree with and things expressed in a way I'd call rude, ignorant or just idiotic but that's not the same thing as hateful.

• Thanks for your clarification. I do not want to mention the takes, but just look at the ignorant stuff that is getting featured around here lately.

• The takes that I were talking about where a take about skinny shaming that instead fat shames, a take on why race is genetic, a take on why women ruin marriages and a take comparing liberal ideology to be nazi party.

• I didn't read the one on skinny shaming or women ruining marriages and only skimmed the ones on Nazism and race. I didn't get what I'd call hate out of them. The guy comparing Nazis and liberals was just not examining the question very completely. He up-voted people who disagreed with him if they made a real argument. Hard to see that as hateful. The guy talking about race also seemed to be just not thinking clearly. I prefer to see people question orthodoxies they don't understand than blindly accept them. I'd much rather discuss with someone who is trying but failing to understand and is willing to say so than someone who doesn't really understand but blindly follows someone else's conclusions. I prefer people who think for themselves even if I disagree with them.

What Girls Said 12

• I have yet to see too many myTakes that are flat out rude and hateful. They may have opinions or views different than what is considered 'pc-friendly', but that doesn't mean they're completely rude. The difference between freedom of speech and being pig-headed/offensive seems to have become almost overly blurred these days.

• Now that you mention it, this is confusing me as well.

The obvious answer would but that hateful posts create more talk, more buzz, and therefore, more views. You'll notice this is exactly what's happening with the US elections.

But I'm guessing if enough of us start mentioning the fact that this isn't the community we want to be in, maybe the moderators might do something about it.

• Yes. We have to speak up about this. I wish these hateful takes wouldn't show up every time I log in. I find myself getting genuinely pissed off when I log in now. I wish it wasn't encouraged. I don't care how well written these takes are. It's just so anger-inducing.

• The moderators don't have the power to do anything about it. If you want real change, take it up with the admins.

http://www.girlsaskguys.com/contact

• Well I don't want to mention which takes for the sake of privacy, but just look at some of the content that has been getting featured and promoted lately.

• I stay away from myTakes entirely.

Why are some awful ones promoted? Probably because they get more attention from people. The more controversial it is, the more attention it will get, with people either raging about it or gleefully agreeing.

• I would, but I just can't. My curiosity gets the best of me. I end up getting pissed off as well. The slew of negative bs that is getting promoted is getting the best of me.

• I get it, but it's a waste of time. Too much bullshit, and not worth the time to read and respond. Just try to dive past into the questions instead.

• I agree with TheFlak38 Maybe you think only the myTakes that correspond to your views and opinions are "positive" and thus should be encouraged and promoted.

A random example. Nowadays, many people believe that far-leftist ideology is "progressive" and should be encouraged (if you disagree you are a bigot, racist, sexist, misogynist, etc). Well, I think it's actually "regressive" and detestable but I will not whine and complain "Shut Them Down!"

We have freedom of speech, so all opinions and ideas should be expressed freely. All of them. I don't care if you find them hateful.

• I didn't say you weren't allowed to post them lol I just don't get why it's encouraged to spew hate and other things around here.

But g@g itself has said that they wanted to encourage a positive user environment and promoted takes that cause shitstorms aren't going to do that.

Why is it encouraged to be racist and bigoted around here?

• Me either. I didn't say that they should ban all takes like that. All I am saying is that they should stop encouraging it.

• Then the myTakes that promote ideas different from such controversial myTAkes shouldn't be promoted either.

• for drama to increase website traffic

• Makes sense. I guess they do it to piss off people wondering the Internet, to get them pissed off and to make an account so that they can comment.

• Cause the average content quality of GAG has fallen steeply lately. So the Adkins are grappling for every controversial take or question that could bring traffic. It's all about the money, money, money...

• So true. I literally just read a take on why it's okay to be racist

• Yep. Happens every time.

• People who cry "freedom of speech" just want to be able to say ignorant bullshit without consequences.

• Because this is gag.. Why are you even surprised lol

• I think everyone has to vent...

• But does it deserve to get featured and promoted? That is the question.

• I guess that is up to the people at GAG. If they thought it wasn't ok... they would delete the post.

• I believe that the thinking is "controversial" topics will increase circulation, which thus increases profits. I also think it's indicative of the culture of the website as well.

• The culture? What do you mean?

• That's horrible. I will. There is this blatant racist guy who says the most offensive stuff about blacks and other races. His posts are reported, but the only thing done about him was that he got a warning. The stuff he says is so offensive too.

• Yeah, I know. And most of the content people create about women is just downright hateful. If you don't want anything to do with women, that's fine. But don't tear people down needlessly because that doesn't really help anyone.

• It's always been that way. It just happens more now

• I wish it didn't. I just read a hateful myTake on race a couple of hours or so ago.

• There is no telling what the admins on GAG are up to.

• If they only featured the non hateful stuff I guess that wouldn't leave much left to feature.