Should Editor's be allowed to enter the writing contests?

I was looking over the entries for the writing contest and someone of them, actually multiple entries, are written by the willful "Editors". For popularity contests like this one that is completely ridiculous but setting that aside as a major flaw in general shouldn't choosing that role inhibit you from entering the contests?

The reason I am asking is because doesn't that naturally deter people from entering the contests? 18 out of 43 of the entries do not have editor tags, of these 5 are anonymous, but among the 43 entries only 21 individuals actually entered which means that on average over half of the entries are duplicates and only one non-editor entered twice. Not including the anon-entries, there's only 9 non-Editor entrants which is again less than half.

Someone inform me what this is supposed to promote? The people who are Editors benefit most from these contests... I mean maybe that's the plan, to get the Editors to spew more, that's fine, but at least be open about it I guess. I just did a quick analysis of the situation and by far those who are already established and winning, it's not really a competition, but then again you sort of mock-hired them to produce content and even have a quota for these individuals to maintain the little bubble thing by their names.

Something seems off here. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's like hiring a famous poet and putting him in a junior mic night and "wondering" who is going to win.

I might just be old. Ignore me as I take a nap.

Most Helpful Girl

• The contests are for everyone, not just editors and not just those who aren't editors. It isn't the editors fault if the people who aren't, aren't entering. They have the option to if they want but they just don't. It isn't supposed to "promote" anything besides the GAG site itself. That's why its #seemywork to get more views.

@fathoms77 seems like someone is trying to read into something that isn't there

Oh Jesus, not him...

Maybe he's smart enough not to...

Fingers crossed! :D

Just ignore him. He's inexplicably mad about a everything and nothing all at the same time.

Good point. Of course editors are going to join in, they write loads which is why they have editor badges! I didn't choose to be an editor, it just saves the admins time promoting my stuff all the time.

Most Helpful Guy

• Getting FEATURED is what will get Takes by far the most views; being merely Promoted gives you little to no edge in a contest where overall views are being counted. We select what to Feature from the Promoted list and don't even look to see if the Promoted piece is from an Editor.

And no, the Editor tag isn't merely handed out at random and while you can apply, the overwhelming majority of Editors were given such status based on their performance over a span of time at GaG.

And no, nothing is "rigged." What incentive would there be for us to rig anything? Whoever wins, wins.

That's all fine and good but I have a question actually regarding professional matters.

Are you the only one who decides what gets featured? Admin wise?

What Girls Said 8

• Mock hired?

Bruh we just write things and if the articles we write get enough positive feedback and contain good content, then they give us the editor title.

We don't ask for it. We earn it, just like literally anyone on this website can.

www.girlsaskguys.com/content/editor-application

You apply for it. You do actually ask for it.

Thats unlikely then. It's apparently harder to become one now.

Well maybe Fathoms is good for something after all. Time will tell.

• Where are you getting the statistics of who's winning? I've not heard anything about the runnings or who even won the first contest.

But anyway, I think the admins take all of this into consideration. Not everything an editor writes is going to be perfect or amazing and our stuff can be demoted at any time. We're just like anyone else, but enjoy writing.

Just look at the upvotes on the thing. It's uh... public. XD

You can keep track of the score as the contest develops. For all I know the number of entries for instance may have changed since I posted this and obviously the spreadsheets will need updating if that is true. I have a lot of interest in the results for my own reasons.

There's one guy who isn't an editor who has loads of comments.
      We also have no chance because one editor has submitted like 8 myTakes. I only thought we could submit only one, otherwise it'd be unfair. I've written loads of myTakes since this contest but not tagged them all in the contest.

• Dude, anyone can be an Editor. There's not really much of a difference between an Editor and a non-Editor. I don't see why it should be forbidden for Editors to enter those contests.

• It's open to all users, including editors. Many of them are asked to be given that title and do not apply for it as well.

• I'm an editor and I do not enter writing contests. Most of them seem rigged anyways

I agree they seem rigged. I just don't know what the end result of that would be. Why bother rigging a contest like this?

What viewer feature? I still can't see my views?

It's not been implemented yet user side.

• I was an editor on my last account. It was a very easy tag to earn and didn't get me any special powers.

• Not everyone is a writer here but the users with editor tag seems passionate about writing than most

• Yes. Some editors write very interesting content. Also, not all editors are well liked.

What Guys Said 5

• When these competitions come up - There always seems to be a flaw in the system as you say it could be an editor in a take competition or the sort that favours ordinary posts. I won a few competitions as a master on my old account and I became paranoid, was it my entries or the sorting system that always put my entry at top that led to me winning.
    I was thinking for competitions of having genderless anon usernames until comp is over then popularity, gender, rank etc can not be touted as the reason you won. If system wants it can put usernames on afterwards.
    To the title "Editor" I have no qualms about it, if you are fairly prolific producer of good takes it is fair enough to give you the title.

• Yeah I think the editors automatically have their takes either featured so that does give them a pretty big advantage.

Yeah, that's my point, they instantly get a huge number of perks, features takes, their posts are "towards the top" meaning they get first-say and first exposure, and they get "paid" in XPer for writing the stupid things to begin with no matter how they turn out. This means that just writing the Take to enter the contest nets them 50 xper, which is whatever, but no one else gets that as an entrant.

They just have more incentive.

they're automatically promoted, which means they'll show up on the live feed but thats it.
      they get featured if theyre worthy (which means theyll show up on the home page)

They get promoted instantly, not featured. Rarely do mine get featured.

• I think it's fair game.

Have you actually looked at your uh... odds?

Yes I have. The odds are a bit lower because you don't get an instant promote. But if you're work is submitted during a week day and it's a good take compared to what most editors write then you still stand a chance against editors. it takes time and thinking to come up with a good plan.

• I have nothing against editors competing...

All it means is that they've been a member for a long duration and have remained active on a daily bases. This place awards them out like candy.

• Editors tend to be the most skilled writers so regardless they'd win the contest.