Should the downvote button be brought back?

I've never understood why the downvote button got removed, I heard that there was a take on it but we haven't heard anything since. I believe the lack of a downvote button hampers our free speech and silences one side of the argument, like we're not allowed to disagree.

• Yes
  • No
- - - - -- --
- - -- - - -

Most Helpful Girl

• I think not having a button like that forces people to openly discuss why they disagree and exchange thought instead of passive aggressively clicking a button. If we weren’t allowed to disagree then there wouldn’t be a “reply” button at the end of every answer.

Most Helpful Guy

• Clicking a button is not speech, free or otherwise.
    You want to disagree? Have a thought, write it down, and post it as an opinion.

What Girls Said 16

• Yes, I think so. I like seeing whether people agree with me or not and people are more likely to use the upvote/downvote system than actually tell me I'm talking shit :P

• I didn't really care about it either way to be honest. One thing I do like though, is that now if people want to express disagreement they leave a comment and say why.

• Last time I was here they said it was coming back because people wanted it, but it never did... they lied!

• Absolutely. Some people now feel free to spread their ignorance and hate without getting any downvotes, only upvotes from the hateful ignorant people who are just like them, which makes them think what they believe in is right and okay. When in reality, if the downvotes still existed, those morons would get downvoted into oblivion.

That's what bothers me about the absence of the downvote button.

• Yes it should. 😭

• I never used it, so I'm not bothered by it. I know many users want it back, though.

• Yes... just like they said they would 😒

• I don't want it back

• Yeah I stopped giving a fuck after like a day of GAG removing it. Lmao

• Without the down vote the up vote should be taken away also

• Yes I'd like that

• People are going to express their opinions anyways so it will not change anything

• Yes. I get to down vote you and tell you your talking out of your ass. BRING IT BACK

• Nah, the world could use a little less negativity.

• Yes. If they're worried people will abuse it again, maybe they could have it so you can only downvote a certain amount of times a day. It's like that on another site I belong to. People won't want to waste all their downvotes if that is the case, and then you won't have someone downvote every single opinion for the hell of it, or downvote someone just because they hate them.

• Yes please!

What Guys Said 16

• How many downvotes I got was a source of pride to me. Now when I post, it just feels empty. :(

• Never really got into the habit of using it so in absolute fairness I would not notice if it was there or not.

• No. If you disagree with someone, you should have to articulate why. You may end up learning something, the other person may end up learning something, or the audience may end up learning something. That can't happen if you can just mash a button, and metaphorically stick your fingers in your ears and yell "NONONONO, I can't HEAR YOU, I'M NOT EVEN LISTENING!!"

• Honestly, it's been so long I don't even care.

I liked collecting down votes like some kind of trophy. It means "yes, my opinion has affected some people so deeply that they're unwilling to accept it"

• No. There's already enough passive aggressive pussies on this damn website

• No please. The downvote brings no good, it goes against the site's purpose.

• Yes, not because I like it, no it's the opposite... I'm happy it's gone. But people wanted it back and they promised to do so. But it seems like they just said it to make people shut up

• I used to want it so I posted a question that day but @jwit convinced me that its better to not have it.
    Its better now that you actually have to explain why you disagree not just say yes no

• i kinda like that its gone. It forces people to either speak up or shut up if they disagree with your point of view

• yes! this way i always need to comment why i disagree xD too much work...

• Yeah I definitely think it should be brought back.

• There was one? Please bring it back 😬

• I think this site was far more interesting when it had the downvote.

• Then they should bring it back because some bullshit here deserves downvotes

• Hell yah

• I dont think there should be any voting buttons at all to be honest

• I would get annoyed and leave the site if I would get frequently downvoted... my uneducated guess is that a quite a few people would also