Why are so many people anonymous here?

I don't really understand it, just own who you are and be yourself! I'll bare it all, anything and everything, its not like I actually know anyone here!

So if you do it, why is that?

Most Helpful Girl

• Very Seldom do I go Incognito, @BryanMoore, however, there are a Few times when I Feel it's a Better deal to go 'Anonymous here,' dear because people many times get a Sour Ball and All in what Another says, and Sometimes it's Best from the Best to Avoid... Conflict or even More, after the Fact.
    Anyone who goes Anon on Gag, have their own Reasons. I have seen where they will Say it is to 'Avoid conflict' or even so they don't have to deal with these people in the future again, by either Blocking them or just To.. Try and Avoid them altogether if all possible. And yes, they just do not want to show who they are, and that's their own Privilege given to them.
    It's a Shame that a person is cannot be Entitled to their Own Opinion and that Someone may have Something Sassy to Say.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• See there are people who grown up with web 1.0.

Being anonymous is an equalizer of the greatest level on the internet.

It's where mature teenagers become indistinguishable from phd graduates and both can have a mutual conversation without stigma/stereotypes/assumptions of the person getting in the way.

Additionally being 'who you are' isn't the best way to 'bare it all' when unpopular opinions will likely get you hunted down.

I am certain some people will doxx me if they knew my contact information.

What Girls Said 11

• I started here a long time ago. Within my first 2 weeks I noticed a whole bunch of drama going on. Within a month I noticed how many people gossip so much about people as if this is their real life. So many on here have nothing better to do than trying to make online friendships, gossiping as if this is all real, creating drama between these dumb groups and just being dumb.
    So I decided my name wouldn't become well known, I decided when I got my guru and master badges, they wouldn't mean anything or hold any weight on my opinions, I decided to not become involved in the online drama and online cliques because this is not real life and this is not high school, I decided I didn't want random people "recognizing" my name, I didn't want the creepy pervs who messaged me in my first month to message me anymore.
    Many reasons really, but I've just about always been anonymous.
    At the end of the day, online, username or not, we're all still anonymous, I just decide to have no username.

• Some people aren't as open as others and do not like sharing such personal information with people online where their usernames are attached. Some people go anonymous to troll. Others just like the anonymity and being able to answer and ask questions without getting to know others here.

• Some people don't want to have their opinions or their questions associated to their account, so they post it anonymously.
    Sometimes they are sharing personal information, so they don't want to reveal their identity.
    Others are so used to post anonymously, that they are not able to post without using this feature.
    And there are also the trolls.

• Sometimes people go anon to talk shit because they know what they're saying is wrong and don't want people to know how they really are. Some may want to save their reputation and have their views neutralized. Many people look the name instead of the post as it is. And if it's a personal topic it might be embarrassing for others to have it on their profiles. Also it's a good way to avoid being blocked.

• No one usually likes to be judged by appearance, and that's what happens if the asker/opinionees don't like their answer/question/opinion. I go anon sometimes if it's a personal answer I'm giving, don't want that shit on my profile lel >.>

• It's because they are afraid to express their opinions

Because they can't troll with their username because they do not want to be permanently blocked by users.

• Gag questions come up easily in a Google search.

Some people ask serious personal questions and are embarrassed to do so. A lot of people use this place as therapy, a place to vent, or confess.

Why risk someone you actually know coming across your embarrassing questions?

It's easier to be anon. Besides sometimes people send personal attacks in your inbox

• Most people are scared to stand alongside their opinion, just like life offline.

• They are ashamed of themselves. They don't want to tarnish their GAG rep

• People start messaging you all the time.

• Why do you care if people go anonymous or not? It doesn't affect you in any way. I'm not insecure, shy nor ugly. I just love going anonymous. I don't always go anonymous though but it's fun so , stop with these questions. Our opinion still matters just as much.

What Guys Said 13

• Because anonymity allows ones opinion to be judged without any link to the person. The opinion is judged and nothing else. Its greatly beneficial - especially when it comes to controversial topics.

Additionally anonymity is appreciated based on privacy. Thats why my profile has no information but the country I am from. I don't want anyone who wants to dig shit up be able to do so. There have been tons of cases where online profiles have backfired at people for ridiculous things.

• I am not sure but it seems to be a draw for a lot of people leaving aside trolls and sensitive posts - Even on questions like "What is your favourite colour?" you will get a few Anons.

• So that they don't get blocked of course. Many people are very trigger happy.

• because you can't talk about something controversial you did sexually without being hated or harassed.

• Because they can, because they have blocked many users are blocked by many users and don't receive enough answers under their opinions or they simply can't answer a question unless the blocked person posts anonymously.

• Cuz they're cowards, obvz.

• Oh no! People I don't know will see who I am online!!! Lmao

• U mad brah?

• Yea Fuck Anon Faggots. Bryan Moore you do your thing you god like creature

• Because a lot of times people are more interested in who said something, instead of what was actually said.

Posting anonymously help others who have this issue pay attention better and stay focused on the message rather than the messenger.

I don't have to be pretty for my statements to be valid, or popular for my ideas to have merit.

• Yeah people who go anonymous are a bunch of pussies bro.

• So bare it all then. The ladies are waiting lol

• Thats just how i roll