Why do we even see posts by people who have blocked us?

I just saw a take and I had written a long reply, expressing my opinions about it and being generally interested in the subject matter, but after all of that effort I pressed submit and, surprise, surprise, I'm blocked. I'm not questioning why was I blocked, how should I know? I'm question why does GAG make these takes and questions show up in my feed if there is no way I can interact with them at all? I wouldn't like to be given the chance to test drive a car and after deciding to buy it, be told that there are none that can be sold and never have been. What good does it do me then? @girlsaskguys @xHoneyxBeex @Fathoms77

@cinderelli @YourFutureEx @Mistnigqa808 @CHARismatic110 @mooky06 @Chief16 @Kastinis @MaLifeBeLikeOooAaah @EmpatheticLady @chintita @phoenix2000 @RainbowFanGirl @archiz @doobie345621
*I'm questioning

Most Helpful Guy

• There are a few reasons for that :-
    ●A person can block you and talk shit behind you, about you. In that case, you'd not be able to see their posts and report them effectually. You need to be informed.
    ●The above point is more reasonable if you are a mod. It's your job to scrutinise every thread.
    ●If you really don't want to see someone's post, you have an option to block them (back).

PS: I believe the developers should add 🚫 symbol in front of the usernames of the users who have blocked us to tackle the issue (just like we have a symbol for the people we are following, alongside their username). What do you think @GirlsAskGuys?

What Girls Said 12

• lmao yes that sucks actually, writing a reply just to be told you can't post it. I do hate that

With seeing stuff people who have blocked you say, that's not really a problem on its own... Like, they blocked you, you didn't block them. If you don't wanna see their stuff, you can block them back. It only becomes a problem when you waste a good 30 minutes of your life on a big reply

On tumblr if you block someone, they can't reblog your posts. If you try and reblog the post of someone who blocked you it'll say something very anonymous like 'post cannot be reblogged' - because tumblr is a broken mess of a website and this happens all the time anyway, you dont always immediately realize its becaue they blocked you. It's a nice little way of doing things. It also happens BEFORE the text box pops up, so you dont waste all that time writing something you can never post.

GAG should probably not let you even write the reply. I know its sort of bad manners to let the other person know they're blocked too blatantly, but they could implement somthing like: if I view a question/take by someone who has blocked me, it appears closed for me, even though its open. I don't know if there are problems with that but I feel like thats a good solution...

• Also a decent solution. And the reason I don't block is because I don't want to stoop to that.

• I wasn't bein hostile! I suggest you visit a masseuse!

• Thank you for the suggestion, but I'll decline. I have no reason to visit such an establishment.

• This sounds less like a site suggestion and more like a complaining and attempting to shame someone for blocking me post.

• For fuck's sakes, how does it come off as shaming? Did I dis her anywhere? Did you miss the "I'm not questioning why was I blocked"? Pull the stick out, lady.

• reported for antagonistic.

• Aren't you the one that keeps a list of users who have blocked you?

Why are you so mad that someone blocked you? I thought you liked it.

• Did you even read the question? I never said I'm mad that I'm blocked. I only dislike the fact that I wasted time on writing a reply that didn't even submit.

• @YourFutureEx pull the other one, love.

• lmfaaaaooooooo

• I like how some people here are aggressively trying to slander and accuse OP of shaming said user, even though the accusations are all completely baseless nonsense.

To answer OP’s question. I’m guessing that the purpose of the ‘block’ feature isn’t so much to do with preventing one from viewing content, but to avoid abusive users from harassing others on this website. In short, abusive users should still be allowed to view any content, but that doesn’t override the act of harassing others.

• I can agree that that may be it. But not all blocked users are harassers, and not all blocked user, like me, block in return for blocking. I only block when I absolutely need to, not out of spite, or to block back someone who blocked me. There have been a few others before who blocked me but then changed their minds - if I were to have blocked them, we could have never reestablished contact.

But again, thank you for being sensible. I was afraid of having to brace for another argument as soon as I saw the pink colour.

• Certainly not every blocked person is guilty of harassment, but I think the block function was probably created particularly to curb amount of harassment on this website, since it's not too feasible for the mods to look into every case of harassment <~Tho, I don't claim to speak for the admins and I'm just guessing. It has it's flip sides.
      I too, avoid blocking people. I don't think I would block anyone for everything, ever. With the exception of harassment and threats.

Welcome!

• That issue could be solved if we just got notifications when someone blocks us just as when we get a new follow. Of course, that would cause some users to create butt hurt related drama.

While I see your point, and I realize that tags don't work when you're blocked, I still think it was unnecessary to name the user in question. You could haveven made the same point by saying "a user".

To be honest, this borders on "member post" to me - but I'm sure the admins will make that call since you tagged some of them. ✌

• You may have a point, but a member post is only when you refer to someone negatively. I did no such thing.

• I see that the admins removed the user's name and reposted this question. Well done GaG admins. I think that was the right and fair thing to do. :)

• And you had to put her name because?

• To add a personal factor for the sake of garnering more attention to this question - a tactic that succeeded. No ill will towards her personally.

• Yeah, I understand the confusion here. Maybe they still think it'd be nice for you to read the myTake or ponder the questions posted by users who have blocked you. It just stinks when you go to leave a comment and realize you've wasted time doing so.

• When qw try to message someone who has blocked us... we see a notification that we can't send a message.. I think it would be helpful if we see a similar notification when we try to comment or give an opinion to a post where we're blocked

• It happens.. unfortunately. If you were to block the person, you'd not be able to see them around on GaG, which is nice.

• There's an option to block those you have blocked,
    That way you won't see it and won't feel mocked,
    When someone says you're being a little surly,
    By making a post about an annoying girly.

• I don't want to start blocking people just to get back at them. A few people who have blocked me before changed their minds later.
      I didn't make the post about her, but about not having been informed that I'm writing on a post written by someone I can't interact anyway. Even I tend to forget the people on my list.

• It's good because if they talk behind your back then you can know that.
    And thanks for the mention😊

• I guess because they haven't put much thought into developing a feature that doesn't allow blocked people to comment on my takes written by users that blocked them.

And also, more people would need to push this and ask more questions about this in order for them to take some kind of action and develop a plan.

What Guys Said 12

• I don't block anyone for the very same reason. But I think its only fair that you're notified that someone blocks you.
    And its also very childish and immature that someone blocks you for the part that they can't see eye to eye. Other than when they're being genuinely creeped and stalked or harassed.

• I get what you mean. And don't bother arguing with that ex mod there. Its only a waste of your time.

• I know, I have come to realise that myself.

• I hate when I see am interesting question or take, write a long ass reply, only to discover that I've been blocked. Some people I don't even remember why I've been blocked so there's literally no way to keep track. A notification of who blocked me would be nice. Gone me a little heads up. And a thing like when you follow someone should be in place so you know who blocked you. I don't block people because I'm not a pussy and I'm going to forget why I blocked you anyways. And 1 argument isn't and shouldn't be enough to block someone. And people on this site either forget they blocked some people and forget why, too, and never bother to unblock that person. And you could mutually block them, but that solves nothing cause it causes both parties to just be mutually butthurt

• You should be informed if you are blocked by someone.

• Also good idea.

• Check the ones I'm arguing with.

• Might be some feminist who has blocked me.

• Yeah simply hiding content would be good or a little icon as suggested already.

While we're here can we please block anons and the entire account behind them? If they troll at least they should at least have to make multiple accounts.

• Well last time I checked, you can block anons from posting on your question.

• That has always been a flaw in the system - It has happened me a few times - Really frustrating after typing a long opinion.

• Because oversights are kinky.

• I kind of wondered about that lol I've been blocked by someone and I laugh when I see his posts. Half the times his responses are inaccurate or dumb funny lol

• to remember how annoying these people are.

• i was wondering the same thing.. if i block somebody, i never want to seee any of their shit

• And you don't. At least not in the feed. The issue here is seeing someone who has blocked you, not someone you have blocked.

• Lmfaoo dang son , that's a haymaker right there

• that's what u get for stalking her lol

• It could be its a little challenge to make some tweak in their system that caters for specific selective blocking