Why do people block people?

I realized that I'm randomly blocked by some people. When I go to respond to their question, it says I'm blocked.
I have blocked people too.. But it was because they were creeps. Why would someone block a user just cause they don't like their opinion? Isn't that what this site is for?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because losers feel threatened by an opinion they dislike. They probably think we will go to their home or something xD
    I've been blocked by a LOT of people for stupid reasons, like saying I'm a meat eater, or saying that cheating shouldn't be condemned. Explain me why would anyone block someone for this xD It just shows the kind of people that we have in GAG.
    I've also been blocked by people I never even know existed.

I don't know what's the point of being in a site like this if you're gonna block those that disagree with you :/

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to try to never block people here but I gave up.

It's funny how many people think that they get blocked because the blocker has been "butt hurt" or you "won' or they're "baby" etc etc. I'm sure that happens sometimes, but less than most people think.

The fact is, almost NEVER do people on GaG show any respect for an opposing view, much less actually consider changing their own mind about an issue. Very few people here are as open-minded as they think they are. Internet arguing is the most wasteful time fuck that I can think of.

What good does it do to go back and forth insulting each other when no one will ever acquiesce?

I'll get down voted for this, which proves my point. Most people that have fooled themselves into believing they can "win" or change the mind of someone with a 180 degree opposite point of view will argue all day about how people that block have some sort of insecurity issues etc etc.

These are the same people that get pissed off when they get blocked after going on and on and on until the other person finally tires of it, or better yet, realizes that it's never going to get anywhere. They're also usually "gotta get the last word" people.

I ain't got no time fo dat.

So, if I block a user, and it makes them feel better to believe that they "won" or "butt hurt" me, I usually let em think what they want. It makes no fucks to me, because I refuse to invest any emotional energy on an Internet stranger.

I've been blocked by people simply because they didn't pick up on my sarcasm and thought I was serious. The way I look at it, their loss.

Oh well. Bring on the down votes. 🙋

What Guys Said 36

• Well, that's because some people deserve to be blocked. There can be many reasons as to why people block people.

1. They were very annoying, like constantly messaging or passing annoying comments, using vulgar language every second or third word.

2. They were very judgmental by nature.

3. Arrogance and egoistic and hence may be it was not possible for the other to speak to them or have a good, healthy conversation.

There can be many more reasons

• Blocking is a strange phenomenon - As you say you can block unwanted attention, I sometimes block people who want to argue with me but I say several times that I don't want to argue but if they persist, obviously abuse. That is reasonable blocking but a once of block of someone who disagrees with you, no not very reasonable.

• Some people harass members on here. Its just easier to block them. Like that one Bobby dude that was all up in your opinions calling you sexist lol

• Overwhelming majority of people block because they don't agree with an opinion of someone else and/or don't want to (or are too dumb; or both) try to find reasonable arguments for a debate in order to prove their point.

To them it's a lot easier to just block someone and pretend as if they've "won" an argument, instead of having an intellectual discussion, because they're not intelligent/educated enough to win the debate.

Basically, they're pro-censorship sore losers. They are afraid to stand their ground and just want to prevent anyone even a bit more smarter than them from speaking.

They are even more pathetic when they reply and then instantly block. you from responding.

In case you're wondering, I'm probably blocked by at least a hundred people in here.

• And you're blocked by over a hundred people because you're so much smarter than them and they just can't handle it I suppose...

That must be it. Yep.

I mean hell... who doesn't have all day to go back and forth with some Internet stranger trying to "prove a point" so that they can feel intellectually superior?

Seems like time well spent. 👍

• I understand when you black legit harassers but when you block those who simply disagree with you then you are just being pathetic. Many of the people on my profile list are exactly like that.

• I'm sure they had their reasons for blocking you, maybe you blocked them first, they thought you were creepy, or maybe they think you're a troll. Just because you don't consider yourself to be any of those doesn't mean someone else can't see you in that light.

• Why would anyone block you of all people lol?

Let me guess, you probably stated an opinion or preference somewhere they disagreed with and decided to block you for it.

• Exactly! Lol i don't say anything mean... I just state my opinion. It probably had to do something with politics because i support trump. But still, I wouldn't block someone just because they supported Clinton

• I never know

This is the Net, hence lots of trolls and people whose only intent is to upset others. Also, full of others who are so easily offended and threatened by people who do not give two shits on here.

So, you merely humour their pathetic nature

On the flip side, i can understand why women on here block people

• The ostrich algorithm.
    When ostrich sees danger, it digs it's head in the ground..
    If you ignore the problem , maybe the problem will ignore you.

Sadly only stupid people think that works.

People are so stupid that they get offended by some stranger's opinion on something. If you dont like it don't buy it. Why is their a need to block unless someone is harassing you? I am sure 80% of people reading this are getting offended atm.

• Apparently they thought you're a creep

Or they just don't want to hear differing opinions. I've seen level 2 people who had me blocked, apparently my opinions are too... Dividing?

• I only block those who block me.

• Many reasons. Ill block someone who is racist, or makes hate comments. I don't care if its someones opinion. It's my right not to read that trash.

• Because why not?
    When I read an exceedingly dumb opinion or something I completely disagree with, I block the author.

You are allowed to have a different opinion, but I don't have any desire to hear it.
    Simple as that.

• They don't like your opinion. Honestly I'm glad they do that instead of whining 24/7, it makes everyone's day easier.

• same.

they have personal issues. just imagine how immature and psychotic itd look if someone eves dropped in on you, or had a disagreement with you and completely ignores you after that. that person is the one who has mental issue.

there's an exception of trolls, and antagonizing people but if its respetful back and forth and you're just stating your opinions or facts, its really something thats on them.

• I know, right? One of my biggest pet peevs is when someone pulls a hit-and-run and replies or comments to me and blocks me before I can respond. And when someone blocks me soleley for disagreeing with them.

• Good point, there afraid you'll point out the weak spots in their argument. Although that would help to strengthen the debate.

• Well, I've been blocked by a person once because she was not interested in keeping the conversation with me [She was pro-gun and I am against, that's the reason]. That's not a big deal, it's not like we share our house.

• They are butthurt OP

• the power goes to their head.

• i have no idea, i am blocked by people that i have never even spoken to on this site.

• I've never blocked anyone because I really don't care if you disagree with my views. I don't think anyone has blocked me... yet. lol

• Because they can't handle the truth.

• i usually dont block anybody unless its an absolute must,, an absolute must would be if he/she is following me around on all my posts and won't stop harrassing me,, but if its like an argument, ill keep them around

• They just get ask butthurt and its like pouting, haha.

• They just find you annoying and want nothing to do with you. That's all.

• You must be offended them or hurt their feelings

• maybe they bother them

• It depends. Some people are so immature that they block people for ridiculous reasons. Some people are so mature that they block people for reasonable reasons.

• Blocked

• More from Guys
    6

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 16

• For me, it is Mostly, @Puppylove94, when Someone is Either very Snotty and Rude and Crude about a Sore Subject, or they don't Like something I May Say and Block me First out of the Blue so I go ahead... And Block You.
    Many Gaggers here, dear, have their own Reason for the Season for Blocking. And with so many Unkind Comments, for I feel it is a Good Deal that we are ALL Entitled to our Own Opinions, is why so many are ANON as Well, I can Tell.
    lol I have not Blocked you, way too cute and a Great Gal on Gag.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• I'm all for having a difference of opinions, but if you show me that you cannot have a debate like an adult then you're gonna get blocked. There are people that I've had crazy arguments with here and they aren't blocked. Like I said in another question, I don't have the patience to keep having the same arguments over and over again.

• This site is for opinions, but that doesn't mean everyone accepts them or will even tolerate them. That's why some people get blocked, including you potentially.

• When I first joined I was like super chill and blocked nobody for the first couple of months. But then people started getting really annoying and now I just block cause I really have no interest in ignorance and arguments. And I realized I've also been blocked randomly by people.

Those types of people are very very sad I must say.

• i think girls base who they block on how others make them feel. not because they do seomthing out of line or wrong.

• Based on opinion no one is blocked because GAG is a forum which invites views. Your question has a reply in it. The basis on which you block others can be applied to all. It is indecent, rude, inappropriate and out of ethical bound opinion which compels to block.

• I have no idea... I only block people who are assholes to me.

• How funny is that, I went to comment on a recent question and realized I was blocked by the user. I've never even spoke to him before!! 😂

• @helloeveryone100 well asking if I was a whore was pretty "true" dont ya think?

• i dont know that lol sounds like he's an asshole.

• they realise they can't argue with you further or they just posted a dumb opinion with no meaning maybe even and offending opinion, that's what i think

• join the club... they can't stand that you are right so they rather block you

• exactly. i use to get blocked all the time becaues i was right. sure you dont win the person by winning the argument but i cite my research !

• oh tell me about it. i have the best comeback and caught them lying. then i right a nice paragraph and bam!! thread stopped with their last word. lmfao

• @helloeveryone100 lol never fails

• They have a low self-esteem

• They won't stop bugging me, sexually (usually) or otherwise

• Imagine that. People with opinions who can't stand that others have them as well, i'm shocked lol

• they do that sometimes when they dont like their opinion

• Because people are too uptight and have a stick up their ass.

• I haven't blocked anyone and I don't think I will. People will block creeps, people who harass them and people who they don't like. I never blocked a person because I didn't like their opinion but I would block them off a question or take if they are getting antagonistic and annoying. I'm always anonymous by the way.

• I don't know, maybe they saw your answers and make a judgement call on what you say who knows and what does it matter it's their choice just block them back.

• I've not blocked anyone nor have i been blocked by anyone so i dont know...