Is it normal to feel depressed from social media?

I've been exercising and staying active, but I still manage to feel sad and depressed for some reason on my social media, including G@G at times. I don't know what it is but sometimes I have trouble staying happy. I know some of you are going to be like "it's just a website go do something instead of moping", but I want to know if anybody else has ever felt this way about social media. It can be any social media: Facebook, Twitter, or even G@G.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, of course it's normal. :) My field is computer science, so it's my job to know the usefulness of computer systems --- including the Internet and how it can connect people --- but you have to know their limitations and pitfalls too.

One of the ways that we were taught to think about this technology is that it's like the ancient "gift of fire": computer tech, the Internet, social media, etc. can be immensely powerful/useful, but also very dangerous if people don't use it correctly or go about it properly and protect themselves from its dangers. They can provide you with a lot of information and news, but also a lot of misinformation and lies that get inside people's heads. They can connect you to good people, but also a LOT of bad people. You can download useful programs... or get stuck with a virus or other malware.

The Internet/social media is a place that often enables trashy people and trashy opinions to proliferate; it's just the current nature of the medium. Kids and teens today suffer from bullying that older people never had to go through, because of social media. In the old days, if you were bullied at school, you could escape it at the end of the school day and go home. But now, with everyone so connected online all the time, sometimes there is no escape 24/7.

My advice to you is indeed to take a breather away from social media when you can. Remember that, for how far we've come, social media and the Internet are still a VIRTUAL reality; we as people need something more substantial and real and physical in our lives than that. Social media and Internet can really distort your sense of reality. I've noticed that coming across good and kind people in real life, in person, takes away a lot of the discouragement that I sometimes get from seeing the trash that is posted online. :) So indeed, try to do something else if you need to. Hope this helps. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Social media ( all forms) is toxic. And yes its about convincing people to accept something or push a certain lifestyle. Like the whole Bodybuilding trend right now. You either feel jealous, angey, worthless, less than, not up to par.
    Thats why you limit the time your own social media outlets.

What Guys Said 17

• Very normal. In fact, studies are starting to prove that the more someone uses social media, the less happy they tend to be.

• Whenever I feel it getting to me I just take a break - A few minutes/hours/days/weeks, at some stage you miss it and want to come back.

• Best is to limit your time on there to max 30 to 60 min a day, longer does indeed have that effect.
    I felt the same and have hit the brake.
    Now I still enjoy being on GAG but not too long at a time :D
    Sometimes I take a day without and I'm fine with it :D

• I barely use facebook since I have pretty much nothing to share there, hence why it would be kind of depressing to use. That's why I prefer GAG - it's just interaction and not sharing - the main reason I like it so much.

• Not in a decade. It's becoming easier and easier to ignore pricks, so that's what I do. People say I'm weird on LOL for instantly pressing the ignore button at any hint of potential irritation, but then that prevents any bad things from happening. I haven't had an incident in LOL for over two years because of this.

• No, you shouldn't give a dying duck about what's said on the internet.

• Yes that is normal especially with algorithms dictating what you see on your newsfeeds. Oddly enough facebook seems to be trying to set me and my freind up. No matter what her new posts are always in my news feed.

• social media makes you envy, jealous, hate, afraid and all these things that enslave your life for the worse.

yes people are better with it. since 2008, the rise of ig, snachat and other narcissist supporting apps has made a lot of these girls undateable and out of touch with reality.

people are more disconnected than ever despite how many foloowers they have.

no good and few see this truth

it's ironic that social media is meant to help people stay connected

@ChromAzonyx108 its did the opposite.

people have less real connections but lots of follwers, network machines but tight with a couple...

they say social media is actually disconnecting people from real relationships and reality

• I felt like that before with Facebook and left for a few months. Sometimes you just need a break from social media.

• The things some people post is depressing :v
    But do what I do... stop giving a fuck about things you can't change... change the things you can. ;)

• Just bored and annoyed. Thats why I only had that shit for maybe a year.

• Nah. I think it's vacuous so it's not where I look for fulfillment, I could understand people feeling like shit if they're plugged into it a lot.

• yes its totally normal

• It can be depressing.

• social media is s***storm of misguided politics, insane reasoning, and incessant trolling. How anyone doesn't get depressed from social media I don't know. Long since deleted my twitter and facebook due to it.

• It's happened to me too lol😂mostly because all I see is pictures of my "friends never inviting me anywhere and only seeing pictures of them. I deleted my Facebook, I haven't looked back since and it feels so liberating 😊

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 17

• Yes it's actually quite common. Studies have shown that most depression or anxiety stems from social media such as facebook or Instagram. Reason being is because people love to compare their own lifestyles to everyone else's and like to make it seem they have a productive, fulfilling life. I recently got facebook last year and over the past 6 months I feel like I've become more depressed. I actually posted a question on here asking everyone is their self-worth and value is represented by the amount of likes on facebook and to my surprise some people actually care about the amount of likes on facebook (http://www. girlsaskguys. com/social-relationships/q2011099-do-you-think-the-amount-of-likes-you-get-on-facebook-defines-your) . It's sad to see that people connect their self-worth and value over some stupid button, over a website. To me, if you value yourself and know your self-worth you don't need validation from anyone else. The only person you need to impress is yourself :)

• I do believe it is possible to get depressed from social media because you see images of people having fun etc and your life might not be going to well. You compare yourself to those people which brings you down. However, you need to realise not everything is what it seems. Nobody is perfect no matter how happy they look in pictures.

Try to stay off social media and be grateful for what you have cause guess what?

There's someone looking at you or your life and wishing they had it x

• A lot of people have reported feeling sad after being on social media because they see what everyone else is doing and feel as if they're missing out. What you have to keep in mind is that many people also exaggerate on those sites.

• I hate social media actually. If I hadn't started my cupcake business Instagram page to promote it, I wouldn't even have social media. G@G, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, dating sites... they all are parasites in my opinion.

• Not a good idea to be asking advice about this stuff on here, I know you didn't mean harm by it, but some individuals have a high condescending attitude. What you should do in my opinion, is major in some kind of literacy course and write articles for a company, or just write and publish a book. Something to do with writing.

Try to stay off the Internet as much as you can, I would only use it for homework, just don't comment as much on sites where you may encounter trolls.

why do you look familiar? Do you have a twin on this site?

I hate how mean some people are on here, so I tend to come on only to post myTakes.

Be mean back to them, don't ever let anyone get away with hurting you. If someone is rude to you and you haven't done them wrong, call them out on it first, and then tell them to kindly beat it.

These people are not smart for trolling you or anyone else, as they seem to think they are.

• I sometimes have to take a social media vacation. Social media can be pretty depressing sometimes and I'm normally pretty upbeat.

• then get off of it till u feel better

• Yep I have in the past-- especially if I'm feeling down on myself.

• Oh yeah especially on GAG its like throwing your opinions into air. Nobody really reads them. I mean i guess they do but probably forget about it moments later. All people care about is expressing themselves, giving their opinions, releasing their insecurities & doubts. But I don't think your opinion is really heard.

• I think everyone feels that way at times

• Very normal fam

• Aw don't be depressed over stupid social media.

• I think it's normal.

• This is excluding g@g but social media does that to me, too. It's just not my style so I feel more out of place. Like, I don't belong in something so many people seem to be a part of.

• Some of it makes me want to hurt stupid people. Physically hurt them. Same with a lot of answers on these forums.

• I feel the same way. Especially when ignorant, immature, idiots on here start insulting me for no reason. It brings up my blood pressure.

• Yess, especially as a single, black girl. Seeing some of the stuff on relationships can make me feel sad. Also, black beauty isn't appreciated on here so that also makes you feel less than you are. In addition looking at other people who are very attractive (lol y
    I don't use Instagram much) can hurt-no matter how attractive you are. So determine how much social media is good for you and keep on keeping on ✌🏾️