What's the point of going anonymous?

I certainly understand if you're answering or asking a personal or embarrassing question. Perhaps something that's controversial and you don't want it to be linked to your account. I get that people can have a mob mentality on here, and wanting to protect yourself from constant scrutiny makes sense, but what is the point of going anonymous on every single question?

Having a made up username and a random picture that could literally be whatever you want is already pretty anonymous. What is the point in going anonymous on everything you do here?

Most Helpful Guy

• There's anonymity on the internet, yes, but not so much here. Yes, people don't know your real name or anything else like that, but we're still a part of a community. People still recognize you here. Sometimes, you don't want to be recognized or known when you're asking for personal advice.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, while there is anonymity in having a random username and a random picture, there's an added level of anonymity in that you absolutely cannot be reached or followed. The reason I choose to be anonymous is because I only want things to be on my terms --if I want to reply to a question, then it's on my terms (obviously). If someone replies to a comment I made, I also want it to be on my term whether or not I want to reply back. Also, I want no part in getting messages from horny men who want to know what I get turned on by, or what I think of their dick. (For the record, I know that there are account settings for this too (i. e. I can choose not to receive any messages or follows, etc.)).

For me, I so often choose to go anonymous because I like being in control of things, which includes not having to worry about anyone having any possibility of reaching out to me.

I don't give a fuck whether that makes me a coward, a pussy, or whatever it is that people think about anonymous posters.

What Guys Said 17

• Honestly speaking there is no point because even your username is just for this site, nobody will ever know your real identity unless you yourself reveal to them. Hence there is actually no point in going anonymous. It looks illogical to me at least

• To troll, i can't think why else lol. If you dont want attention, you just don't put a pic up or only accept PM's from followers.

• Some people just like to stay out of the public eye - I know a few who go anon on every question

• I know a lot of the girls on here get a lot of creeps. I don't know about the guys.

• The only thing that comes to mind as to why any one would go anon is to bash someone or troll another's question , or ask a question without being embarrassed about it.

• I do my trolling out in the open with reckless abandon, the same cannot be said of other users, they're scared their little digital profile on gag will get a bad rep among people they'll never meet. lol

• Too much paranoia xD

• if the opportunity is given, it will be used and sometimes even abused

• I don't understand it, I think it's overused by a lot of people. We're already anonymous in the main.

• It's the only way they can be pussies and not get permanently blocked by someone

• i hav asked only a few anon questions. after that i tought this same thing and stopped doing that.

• some masters and gurus or the pop members of gag need it...

• So you can argue with users you follow or DM without them knowing?

• Well you see people on this site can't seem to handle difference in opinion and go out of there way to get people banned if they dislike their views.

• I do it because my family is very unnaccepting of me being transgender (Not a chick with a dick, other way around) and if they found my account here very bad things would happen. It almost happened to me before with my Yahoo answers account, you've never known fear until someone calls asking to speak to your fake name's parents. I might end up homeless if they find out, that is if they don't throw me into conversion therapy first.

• I hate anonymous posters.

Get a life you phaggots!

• I do it so I can troll without being blocked.

What Girls Said 10

• Some like to troll. Some just want to be that "anonymous" user. I do agree with your suggestion of having a random username and photo would be the same thing basically. Maybe some users don't feel like restarting now after figuring that out however.

• well, there have been a few weirdos on here who have asked me to marry them within only a couple of seconds of talking to me. that's why i had to change usernames. maybe that's a part of it?

• I don't always go anonymous but on some questions and opinions I do once in a while so that I don't get any hate

• I've been wondering this myself.

• I honestly have no idea, I never do it anymore. And this is a great question also.

• People are pussies.

• Cuz some people are cats (p word, yes I am a child)

• I just don't want to get unwanted private messages any more. It's not like I say anything rude or disrespectful, but I've gotten some pretty terrible DMs. I don't want to see it, I'd rather just give my opinion or hopefully some good advice to the question. I'm not here for popularity either. To each their own, though.

• Who knows

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more