Do u agree with the n-word (with the -er) being censored on GaG?

I posted an opinion with the word n*gger in it, and GaG censored it by substituting "n**" in my post.

Do u think that the word n*gger with the "-er" should continue to be censored on GaG?

• Yes, the n-word with the "-er", should continue to be censored on GaG
  • No, the n-word with thr "-er", shouldn't be censored on GaG at all!

Most Helpful Girl

• As a black woman, although both words are equally ignorant niggerr, and nigga...

Other races need to understand that black people do not call themselves n**. That sounds really racist when it comes out your mouth... There are some words when said in a sentence in Spanish that sounds offensive. . .

It has become a slang. However the (Nigerr) isn't used...

If you said nigga nobody would care, and if they do so what as long as you know you weren't trying to offend someone.

But saying nigerr you might as well say "shut up slave." It makes it seem as if you support that movement...

PS. I am not on a pity potty for slavery just calling it how I see it

Well said, Missy. I don't understand the urge for nonblack people wanting to use any form of the N-word in the first place. *shrugs*

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah, they give us xper which we can exchange for amazon gift cards, in return they ensure quality content, yes its through censorship but its not like we can't respectfully speak our minds on here. if you are going to allow that kind of language you will attract that kind of people. and thats not what GAG is for.

What Girls Said 18

• uuuuuhhhhh. I don't know.

You know on 4chan for a long time they used to automatically change it to the word "roody poo" and since then I have always avoided saying "roody poo" as if it was actually an offensive slur. I feel weird typing it, even, like I am transgressing some awful boundry. Over "roody poo!" (They also changed faggot to Candy Ass, which is really funny) (Apparently both 'roody poo' and 'candy ass' come from Dwayne the Rock Johnson - I found that out because I had to double check it actually wasn't some weird slur - see how paranoid it made me!)

Anyway, my initial reaction as a white lady communist is: hell yea! no tolerance for racists! throw them in the gulag! But a more nuanced view is necessary, I guess. So I will think about it like this: I am a trans woman and a lesbian. How would I feel if 'tr*nny', 'f*ggot' or 'd*ke' were censored? (I'm self-censoring them here just incase, lol) If I was brand new to the website I might feel a little relieved, I might think 'thank goodness, homophobia isn't tolerated here!' or whatever.

But there are still some problems - first of all, I think there's a sort of unspoken assumption in censoring those words: say, f*g or d*ke is a slur for homosexuals. Straight people shouldn't say those slurs, so we'll censor them. There is a tacit admission that the website isn't for homosexuals, who have no problem saying those words, infact its pretty regular (like, *really* regular, lmao). It tells you the website is intended for straight people.

Second of all: there can be such admissions in its implementation. For example, most websites that censor slurs do not censor 'd*ke', while they do censor 'f*g'. I have never, in my whole life, seen a website censor 'tr*nny'. It tells you a little bit about who they think is worth protecting. Another example, actually from this website: 'f*g' used to be auto-changed to homosexual. That annoyed me for two reasons: 1. homosexual isn't a great word either honestly lmfao. Have you ever heard someone talk about 'homosexuals' in a non-homophobc way, seriously? 2. 'f*ggot' is also a slur for trans women. You hear that word the *most* as a trans woman, 10x more than 'tr*nny'. Auto-correcting it to 'homosexual' is taking that identification away from trans women, to whom it is often important.

Runescape was the worst: it censored words like 'gay' and 'lesbian'!

There is also another doubt, re: okay, they censor the word. But what are they (continued below...)

doing to actually combat the homophobia on their website? And usually the answer is, y'know, nothing. Especially with an auto-correct feature, it's usually more likely to cover the evidence than create a non-homophobic enviornemnt. I'd rather use a website that specifically considered LGBT people as part of its community and ensured homophobia could not ossify.

Back in terms of antiblackness and GAG - is GAG censoring the n-word a tacit admission that the website isn't for black people? I don't know for sure but I think its worth asking. I understand with a lot of black people there s a difference between the -er and -a words and no one should use the -er nomatter what. So in that way it's not necessarily robbing black people of a way of communicating in the way censoring 'dyke' would for lesbians. I don't know though...

As for what *else* are they doing - are they combating racism - I'd have to say,

not really, at all, lmfao. GAG has for the past few years become a white suprmeacist level almost on the level of stormfront or /pol/ and the admins dont seem like they ever cared before. Infact they consciously promote racist, antiblack asks and takes in order to stir up controversy and traffick. Why do they now, all of a sudden, care about black people? I guess I'd be suspicious.

Maybe it's a step in the right direction, but only if its not the *only* step. GAG needs to do a lot of restructuring and reorienting if it wants to combat the antiblackness thats all over its website.

Sorry for the really, really long answer ><

• Haha, I do what I like. If I want to say the 'N word' with 'er' GaG can't stop me
    NER NER NER NER NER

• well it isn't my place to say. i think it's more the place of the black community to decide on whether it's a word they're okay with saying to each other or hearing from each other. however, it could also be a word they really dont want to hear.

• I don't agree with censorship as a general rule, but there aren't a lot of instances where you'd need to use that word in the first place...

I answered an opinion about a white Miss Teen USA contestant using that word on social media, so my use was relevant and not hateful. ; )

P. S. I'm a black guy

Well then that's one of the few instances that makes sense to me.

• I don't really know, I guess it's up to black people to decide. If it offends them, then yeah (although I don't see how n*gger with and "er" would be considered offensve but not nig without and "er"? LOL if it's offensive, then both are the same right?)
    I just never use words that may start conflicts, what's wrong with saying "Black"?

• I don't mind it if it's not censored, but people need to understand that saying N*gga isn't much better if at all better than saying n*gger

• yes.

• Having anything censored is dumb.

• that's I think something that's more for black people to daside if they wanna hear that word be said by others or if they only wanna use it them selves

• Why would you post it in the first place?

I answered a question about a white Miss Teen USA contestant, possibly having her title stripped for using the word "n*gger" on social media.

No need to be upset. 👍💜

Oh alright, I can understand within the context

• n** is, nigga isn't :P

I noticed that too on my post, nigga is used amongst blacks as a synonym to homie/dude... but I know YOU already know that. :)

Maybe that's why the "-a" version is allowed but the "-er" version is blipped out.

yeah, figured as much

• No, everyone knows what you meant anyway. Censorship is just a form of sugar coating shit

• I think it shouldn't be used so yes, if you must use it then it should be censored

• Mine was removed too. It sucks

• I bet the word honky wouldn't be censored! Lol and guess what it wasn't! Honky meaning white person.

• I don't say that word

• Why censor that when they dont censor so many other derogatory/offensive words...

I thought that too - they actually USED to censor all of them, and they took away all the censorship at some point (I think reflecting its change from a forum-like website to a social media-like website), but honestly you just dont *see* those other words get thrown around that often here, despite the awfulness of a lot of people here. That being said I haven't really seen the n word used a lot either? Maybe those sorts of posts just get removed. But if thats the case, why bother with censoring it if its gonna get removed anyway? Maybe its really a compromise in the opposite direction - they are going to start leaving all the racist posts up, and take away the abilityto report 'offensive' posts, and they can say its okay because they censor it, etc... They want to increase the racial hostility, not decrease it. Well, maybe I'm being too cynical!

Actually you see a lot of post on here using words like faggot and retard all the time...

oh really? huh. Maybe I'm just desensitised. Or lucky. I'll keep an eye out :/

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 16

• Though it has an ugly history, it's nonetheless merely a word. IMHO the more it's used, the less meaningful it will become. I despise censorship.

• No, I don't think use of the full word should be censored. It's a vile and despicable word for sure. But although it's unlikely to happen, what if someone wanted to discuss a passage from "Huckleberry Finn" that contained that word? That classic book has been the target of would-be censors for a long time, out of the mistaken notion that somehow Samuel Clemens was endorsing racism by using the word in some of his characters' dialogue.

• Considering the amount of hate black people get around the world, usually for no fault of theirs, I think that word should be banned altogether, instead of just being censored. We have enough racists already, black people deserve better.

• I look at it this way. My great grandma was a WAAF at RAF Scampton, and was with 617 squadron. She worked in the ops room, but in her spare time, she used to walk Guy Gibson's dog. The one that got run over. It was a black dog, and had the name N****r.

I don't really see why this dog's name should be censored, bearing in mind some of the heroic sorties 617 did.

Incidentally, she met my great grandad there.

• Not really, the vast majority of black people I've conversed with on here and even in real life honestly don't care.

Honestly none black people care about the matter/subject more then actual black people. As long as it's not used in a racist or demeaning way most don't care.

• I don't think the word Nigg with er is a censorship really on gag. I think it's just a word that goes against the 'antagonizing' rule on GAG because if you think about it... I'd say 98.788% of the time, if that word is to be used. Most likely in a antagonizing way, to totally offend the person.

The word itself is actually blipped out when u post your opinion!

• No I think people should be able to say whatever they want on here. I don't fucking care if I trigger people. If it fits the context then I will say it. I literally say nigga in from of my black friends all the time. Just as my black friends will call me white boy. It's fucking banter and the only people that seem to have a problem with it are overly sensitive social justice warriors.

• I don't really see the point. It's not like you don't see what word is meant.

• Censoring of any word is ridiculous.

• I don't think they should censor anything

• n**

EL BASTARDOS

• im all for speach freedom, and i hate censorship on any platform.

• I think censorship is cuntish.

• Not sure if srs. Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should.

• I dont know but the girl below Laura_Marxist who compared gag with "White supremacist sites" is an absolute SJW liberal whackjob that belongs in a padded cell.

• no.. i think black people should grow up and stop being controlled by a word... if you can let a word make you act like a dam fool, then you're too weak minded...

plus, black people have no right to 'monopolize'' the word; its either everybody can say it, or nobody can.