Do you think the way females vote people up or down on GaG is silly?

A woman and I were just talking about this, lol. I just think it's interesting. Just kind of a funny social observation of a group type thing. I notice the females try to vote up the opinions they agree with to go against the person they don't agree with, especially if it's a guy, or a girl with a view they think is "male." They seem to think rallying around the few people they can agree with will make them right as females or something, or as if voting someone down a bunch of times is gonna make that person wrong, lol. Some people here said it's called hive-mind, or something like that? I've seen guys do the same things too but I don't think they care as much. I never do the downvoting thing, and pretty much the only time I vote anyone up is when I think that person gave a pretty good answer to one of my questions or Takes. I like to show friendliness in that.

Sometimes the females genuinely do vote with a fair, correct balance, but for the most part I generally see it done out of a goofy kind of strength-in-numbers logic. It really just ends up looking like they're bothered by something somebody said, so they have to agree with the people against it too as if it makes a difference, lol.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 15

• I've noticed a similar thing, but I see it just as often among guys who downvote more "female" answers en masse, particularly if it's anything even remotely feminist lol.

I mostly just upvote, but if people want to downvote an answer they disagree with - well that's their prerogative, and one of the functions they're free to take advantage of on this site.

• Exhibit A is about to take place on one of my recent answers lol.

• Right, but I don't think it matters as much to guys.

• We'll just have to agree to disagree there, I think.

• I think that's more kinda the point of the downvote? If there's a bunch of female downvotes, it's probably not about 'oh, let's downvote so we can outnumber those stupid men lol', it's more that they genuinely disagree with the opinion. Meh, even if it was a case of 'let's downvote something we consider male', you can see that guys do the same thing if you go into an 'are you a feminist' question :P I doubt it's a gendered thing.

• I did state that I've seen the guys do it too, but generally not as much. And I do think there probably is a competitive 'let's try to outnumber the guys' type thing. I've seen that where it really was not even necessary.

• "I notice the females try to vote up the opinions they agree with to go against the person they don't agree with"
    uh yeah, that's pretty much what downvoting and upvoting involves, shocking right?

• But there's a difference between disagreeing, and just doing it because you think it'll make the other person wrong. Basically what I'm saying is: a person isn't going to be wrong just because a slew of female voters think they are.

• You're so fucking biased lol
    I get a shit ton of male dvs all the damn time.

For:
    -saying that the age of consent shouldn't be lowered because it's wrong to fuck children. (Oh no! Like 5 blue dvs)
    -Saying the only man I'd get on my knees is for God and to blow him (oh no! 2 blue dvs!)
    -saying that men and women cheat about equally.
    -saying I prefer uncircumcised dicks
    -saying that BLM isn't racist (I usually get a good number of blue dvs for that, a few pinks too)
    -saying that I don't think Affirmative action should be done with YET as there's still improvements that minority communities to make (I'll get like a bunch of blue dvs for that, a lot of men here really, really hate Affirmative action for some reason).

Besides, the whole point of the upvote and downvote is to express agreement or disagreement. If using it is silly, then I guess guys are too

I do notice that there is "herd/hive" mentality. The more votes you get, the more they'll be used by others

• I said that I've seen guys do it too, but it doesn't seem to be as to the degree it is with females.

The guys who downvote you for BLM and affirmative action are all the racists, which I'm surprised to find out there are a lot more of them here than I thought.

Not comfortable with you wanting to blow God either, lol.

I do think men and women cheat about equally so I don't know why they'd downvote you for that.

You prefer uncircumsized dicks? Weird.

The very last sentence is exactly what I'm saying.

• @Jager66 and haha yea. Literally, this ALWAYS happens! I mention how I get dvs for something and then nobody dv me! It's like wtf lol

• No I sometimes get weird down votes from both genders. One guy down voted my book recommendation to an OP for instance like WTF. Why do we get hive-mind accusations when men do the same thing? If a lot of women dislike an opinion a lot of women do not like it.

• Yeah, I've had guys downvote me for pretty weird things too, but I'm saying that you generally see it a lot more with the females here. I don't remember who called it hive-minded but it was an interesting description.

• Just an observation like I said in the details. I do think that small behaviors can be indicative of things even on a broader scale though, yeah.

• Perhaps but I think just as often it is its not.

• lel I have noticed that on some questions and mytakes.

• I find this down voting feature quite useless. Why would I want to down vote someone? It's their opinion and they're allowed to have one. I don't get people who do this.

• Well voting is there for a reason. Maybe there's a psychological reason why women use it more. Maybe it's because women are more expressive then men?

• I "up-vote" opinions with which I agree.
    I don't usually "down-vote" anyone simply because I disagree.
    However, I do "down-vote" opinions I find to be hateful, stupid, and/or lazy.
    How other females have voted has zero influence on how I decide (if at all) to vote.

The one area where women do tend to vote as a "block" so to speak are usually in response to misogynistic opinions, which are pretty common on this site.

• They also block vote on misandric opinions on this site.

• There is far more Misandry then misogyny and what is block voting.

• @bobbyxx Yes. The females here usually pretend that their gender isn't misandric while training themselves to notice everything they feel or perceive is misogynist.

• I don't pay much attention to that to be honest.

• Okay? What does it matter to be honest. I upvote generously and downvote when someone is stupid or mean

• That's what upvoting and downvoting is for? Would you rather pinks don't disagree?

• LOL! No, no, no, it doesn't matter to me if they do or don't, I'm just saying it seems goofy in HOW they do it. I think it was pointless to bring the downvote back, for anybody.

• I am just curious... How can you tell if the way they are up-voting or down-voting is silly or not? How can you even tell the thought process behind it? It's not something you can actually guess, unless the other person openly discusses the reason why they up-voted or down-voted the particular opinion.

• Let me use an example: some time ago I'd given some kind of comment where 3 girls and 14 guys voted it up. For the record I really didn't care cuz votes don't mean anything and don't add to your Xper. So I noticed over the next few days that comment kept getting increasing downvotes by other females who I guess took it as "misogynist." Once their downvote count outnumbered the upvotes, no more came in.

That's just an example though. You can just tell depending on what the opinion or subject is how the other people are deciding how to vote on it.

• Huh?

People downvote opinions they don't agree with and upvote opinions they do agree with. You're implying that only "male" opinions can be correct and they get downvoted as some weird telepathic show of female solidarity. When its simplest to realize the answers are simply unpopular.

• A lot of said "guy" answers getting mass downvoted tend to offensive insults to women.

• No, I'm not implying that male opinions can be correct. I'm saying that I don't think it matters as much to guys to try to vote somebody up or down to counter somebody. I have seen it sometimes, but generally it's like it goes on a lot more vice versa.

• I think if someone doesn't like the user, then they're doe voted a lot

What Guys Said 12

• I got like 8 downvotes from girls for saying push up bras shouldn't exist so yeah I think your point is quite fair.

• normally speaking the up vote/down vote system was created as a form of content quality control. the most popular opinions will be most upvoted and the least popular ones will be downvoted. the most up voted will be at the top of the page. this causes people to change their views to fit them more to the popular opinions so they can get more up votes. this cancels out all the weird crap comments but also diverse opinions.

but GAG is not like this at all, they have an alternate form of quality control, they use a unique system of MHO percentage. to create a hierarchy of opinions. in fact GAG supports diverse opinions. but it goes deeper than MHO im guessing but i dont really know how it works. i like GAG better because here you can state your opinion even if its not a popular one and at the same time there is still quality content on the website.

sometimes they delete your opinions but thats OK for me because you get xper which you can trade in for amazon gift cards which is awesome.

i have browsed other websites where they dont delete anything as long as its legal, this is done in the name of free speech but you are left with entire pages of shitposting and just cancer. at least on gag you can state your opinion and get quality content at the same time. i really like the community here too.

• Yeah, I noticed that about the MHO thing. The people with the most MHO% are at the top of the page when it should be the people who have the most votes.

• Hm. I've never seen mine be at the top. Or maybe I never noticed.

• i haven't seen mine there either, i have only 7% MHO, but i dont care either way im cool with it.

• The feminists carry a ot of weight and manyUS females follow their lead, which is usually leading to disaster.

• Considering that many 'pinks' should actually be 'blue'. I doubt it. Don't get me wrong. We have many silly women here, but guys still take the cream of the crop for crazy.

• Do they? Or that's just how most people would rather write the guys off as?

• Or "women are crazy, useless bitches"?

• Crazy is not a gender issue... wtf is wrong with some people.

• I don't think I understand what you're saying. To me it sounds like you're saying it's silly that girls up vote opinions that they like or agree with and down vote opinions that they dislike or disagree with. But than, that can't be right. I mean that seems to make perfect sense to thumb up what you like and not what you don't like.
    And I think any noticeable correlation between women up voting other women's opinions is more likely to have to do with them having a similar perspective than an attempt to gang up on men.
    I also think the opposite will most likely hold true as well, that is men being more likely to agree and up vote other men's opinions. However, I think some men have a tendency to agree with women partly, at least, because they're women.

• No, no, no. I'm saying that it seems like a lot of times the females are either agreeing with people in mass or disagreeing just to get at the guys. It's similar to 'solidarity' as a female friend of mine here was saying once: that women tend to agree with each other just because they're all women, even if they're wrong. It seems to make sense.

I'm not saying guys NEVER do the same thing, I'm just saying I don't think it matters to guys as much. Your very last sentence I definitely agree with, that guys have a tendency to agree with women because they're women. But then I think that's the case with most people anyway. We're taught that a woman must be right about what she's saying just because she's a woman.

• If that's the case I think you need more than just thumbs up to make that observation. Not saying that you're wrong, you certainly may be correct on this. Just saying thumbs up alone don't show motivation for the thumbs up.
      Though it is interesting that women are more likely to solve problems utilizing social means, like grouping together. Where as men are more likely to solve problems with individual effort. That would seem to support your hypothesis.

• It's similar to the way girls try to get people on their side with people they don't like. If you've ever had experience with that you should be able to get it. When a female doesn't like somebody, she'll often try to poison her friends and other people into disliking that person too. And on the Internet, she'll run around to her circles trying to get her friends to help her bully somebody she doesn't like, flag them, or put them down. I've been both a victim of that and also sadly a contributor to it out of ignorance.

Men usually don't need other people to help them fight their battles, and don't care how many people are against them or not.

• I enjoy liberal use of the Up/Down vote system, it's fun because you can contribute in a tiny way even when you can't be bothered to type out a lengthy response.

Like someone could say:
    "Only Racists disagree with BLM!"
    Now responding to that, in a contradictory manor, is going to be an epic amount of work, because who ever said that is obviously unwilling to consider anyone else's point of view, or any information that would contradict their position. So it's best to just down vote and move on, choose your battles.

Said person will likely disregard any down votes as Racists but they would have done that even if you explained things to them, so whats the point? After a while you get a pretty good idea who is willing to have a chat and who is simply going to Name call, insult, act like a child etc...

• I've been on gag since 2014 and i've upvoted/downvoted today for the first time

I always forget about the option..

Same situation with facebook/youtube and other sites that have the option

Been on facebook since 2009, i've maybe "liked" 3 times lol

• Yes very true. Came to this question to laugh at the butthurt women protesting rather than just admitting. They would be taken more seriously if they would just admit when they were in the wrong.

• in the wrong about what exactly? downvoting? lmao

• Lel
      Your entire point is a non-issue.

• I down vote if I see an opinion that is opposite of my belief, usually when that opinion is also not fact based. Or when someone is just plain stupid.

• I don't downvote an opinion if someone has a valid defense of that point.

• Makes me wonder what the point was in the 2 people who voted you down on this. I may not have to agree with you, but it'd be a waste of time for me to downvote you being honest like those 2 did.

• No more silly than the reason they vote for other stuff.

• honestly, i could care less about up votes or down votes

• meh just downvote anything you dont like , thats downvote for and no i dont think its a gender thing