Has anyone noticed that "Asker" and "Opinion Owner" have been replaced by their usernames in comment threads now?

It's confusing. It's way easier to read comment threads when the asker and op owner can be identified apart from others who jump in on the conversation.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and it sucks. I liked the old way better. Made it easier to know whom you're referring to.

Most Helpful Girl

• I like it WAY better with actual usernames attached. Tbh, I just get confused between "asker" and "opinion owner", especially if both are repeatedly commenting on the same thread.

(Full disclosure: I'm biased, because I just don't follow abstract titles well in general.
    If I'm reading/hearing a story about "my cousin" or "my friend" or "the guy from the bar", I have to make up names for these people -- and think about them by those names -- before I'll be able to follow the story.)

__

It would be easy enough to just put an "Asker" or "Opinion Owner" badge NEXT to the person's username -- in the same way as moderator badges, Editor badges, etc.
    Not sure why this wasn't implemented at the same time as the change. It seems pretty obvious to me.

What Guys Said 11

• Why do we have to choose? They are both useful.
    If I were designing it, I'd start with the person's handle, which can be clicked on, just like it is now, but then, if they are an opinion owner or an asker, then you can put those role names in brackets next to the name (either to the right or below, depending on layout constraints). The words 'opinion owner' or 'asker' can even be hyperlinked to relevant 'opinion' or 'question' so you can refresh your memory with a single click.

• Yes, it's a big i[rvement. When several people start commenting, I had to scroll u to remind myself who the heck is 'asker'. And 'opinion owner' before this update

I think it may just be a glitch, actually. Although I can see your point. Perhaps placing an icon or something next to the Asker's name in the comments will help identify them as such.

It's better to have their doggone names. Even 'anonymous' has been replaced by 'someone.'
      DAmn the IPad, it's a big IMPROVEMENT to have the actual user names!!

• I like it. It actually makes it easier for me to keep track of who is saying what.

• Is it so? I didn't notice that.

• I had remarled the same so our findings confirm each other!
    I don't mind, but indeed it looks like a change. Noticed it today for the first time.

• No, but a lot goes over my head.

On this comment, it should say "Asker" where my username currently is.

Hmmmmm
      I think that I like this change. As you said to @lizziepooh03 correct identification can avoid confusion.

They can keep it as long as there is a way to identify the asker and the opinion owner. Maybe with an icon or a different colour comment box or something.

Although, this may just be a glitch in the site, as I've looked at a few other questions where this wasn't happening.

• I'm noot a fan but I'll try to deal

• I like this way better. Sometimes i dont even know whocimctalking to.

• yes, i suppose its fair

• Yes...

• yes. old school is better.

What Girls Said 13

• Yes, this was a new update we launched yesterday. In addition to that, there were a couple of other updates as well.

- We added the new notification setting for those who do not want to receive question invites. This is located under the Conversations section and it says: "You are invited to share your opinion"
    - There is a new "Liked" section on profiles. This will show all of the Questions, myTakes, and Opinions that you like on the site and it is private, so only you will see it.
    - We put a link to user Privacy Settings right on your Private Messages page in the top right corner. Some users don't know they can change their messaging settings so this should make it easier for everyone to control who they receive messages from, if they want to.

• I just noticed this but I thought is was a fluk! This is awesome if they made this switch. I am quite pleased with it. :)

For me, it's better if the original question asker can be identified, especially in comment discussions that get quite lengthy and sometimes heated.

It may be possible that they have the option to show both asker and username but I highly doubt that it is probable that they can do both. I think this is a one or the other scenario: asker or username.

I prefer username. I will always vote for that since I will always be on the side of clarity. It is hard enough to determine what someone means so why make it more difficult to determine who said what when?

Change is hard. It always is. But I do think this change is worth it. You gain much more than you lose, I believe.

All I ask is, give it time to give it a fair shot. :)

7 1/2 years on this site? That is awesome. :)

If you ever feel inclined, I would love to hear your thoughts on what you learned most from your time here.

Nice meeting you. :)

• Yeah, you're right.
    I thought it was someone else commenting only to realize it was that user.

• OH yeah! I just noticed now! I'm use to the old way, but i don't think that this new way would be an issue in getting use too :)

• Yeah, I don't like it much :/

• Yes, and it is confusing! It'll take a while to get used to.

• Yep I noticed that yesterday.

• I think that if we nagged hard enough, they'll change it to (insert username here)/Asker. And (insert username here)/opinion owner.

...

I find it confusing as well.

• Yup. Kinda confusing

• Yea. I noticed and it's kinda confusing now.

• I noticed also.

• I have and it's confusing as fuck. Like how do I tell if I'm not talking to the asker

• yes its really confusing