Blocking an anonymous user?

I don't think there is an option to do this, but i think it should somehow be implemented here. I don't think it's right that just because someone is too much of a coward to identify themselves, it gives them an excuse to be an a-hole and gives them protection from being blocked.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can block individual anonymous users for that post only. Just hover over where it says "Anonymous" on the screen and you should see a pop-up message asking if you would like to block the user.

I am unable to. Maybe it's because the anonymous person happens to be the Asker as well? When i hover over his name, nothing happens. But when i hover over any non-anonymous user, i do have the option to block them.

Being an admin, is it possible for you to suggest or implement an option where we can block anonymous users so we never have to deal with them in the same way we can non-anonymous users? I don't even care about knowing their identity, i just don't want to come into contact with them at all, not just for one post.

ok, thanks.

Again, If you could consider the complete block of an anonymous user (whether they choose to go anonymous or non-anonymous in the future) that would be appreciated :)

I will bring it up to the rest of the admin team. :)

What Guys Said 8

• I don't think anonymous users can be blocked outright, but you can disable them from posting opinions on your questions

• You are doing the same thing just now...

• The combination of anonymous and blocking is often abused here.

• i think you can if you click the three dots on the right side of their post. There should be a block option

no, the only option if you click that is to report the post.

• You can disable anonymous users from sharing their opinions.

i don't mean blocking any anonymous users and i don't mean it only when i ask a question here. I mean blocking that particular user, who happened to go anonymous. The same way you block non anonymous users regularly, i think that option should exist for anonymous posters as well.

But then how would you be able to unblock them?

why would I want to unblock them? especially if i don't know who i blocked? i just dont want to deal with them anymore on this site, and i am not able to do that just because they went anonymous

• Yeah but how can someone block an anon? there's plenty of anon

• You just don't have to look at comments that shatter your reality...

As far as abuse goes, there's a report option for mods

• You can disable anonymous opinions, you know. Just uncheck it.

no, i mean blocking that particular user, not all anonymous opinions. And this is not referring if i ask a question on here, but just in general blocking a particular user who has chosen to go anonymous.

I don't even care whether I can see who it is that i blocked or want to know their identity, i just want to block them, i don't see why that option can't be enabled. It's like it gives them protection to be an ass to you and you can't block them for it.

Well you can't have your cake and eat it too. You get one or the other. It just doesn't work that way.

What Girls Said 1

• You can block an anonymous user on one post, but that doesn't mean it will block the user behind it for all future questions. However, to block one specific anonymous user on one specific question, just hover their "Anonymous" username. A little box will appear, asking if you want to block him or her. Select "yes" and you should be good to go.