Why do people on g@g get "triggered" so easily?

I asked a question about teenage boys and why some of them are immature and so many people were geninely offended. Like people were telling me "fuck you" and "but what about teenage girls tho" and blah blah blah. One guy even reported me for it. Are you kidding me? I even apologized and people were still mad. I found it funny, because people talk about feminists getting triggered but guys can get triggered easily as well. I see it a lot on here. Everyone complains about something, even me.

So, why do you get triggered? Are you triggered easily? Does it annoy you at how easily someone, man or woman, gets offended these days?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 43

• Thank you, young lady 😊

1. It's not just GAG, that's how we all are
    2. For what did you even apologise? 🤔
    3. It's evident that we are animals but with the ability to change ourselves or control even if not change. Nature has made us that way.
    4. Like I mentioned in that question its not about teenagers, there are people (gender immaterial) my age & older that are this way.
    5. Why are you so bothered when people write crass? Just report them without retorting, matter ends.
    6. When you ask certain questions
    6.1. Expect this to happen
    6.2. Go anon when asking
    6.3. Disallow anon opinions
    This is what I'd do 😊

• Emotional intelligence and the ability to take corrective criticism are somethings that are flying out the window as our world becomes increasingly sensitive to EVERYTHING. You can thank all our social media outlets (FB, Instagram, Snapchat, GaG, etc.) they give EVERYONE a voice. Including the increasingly sensitive and sometimes those people who base their opinions in some fairytale land (not reality based stuff).
    I don't let myself get triggered so easily. Its something that comes with age (in most cases), both knowing who i am, how to detach myself from the words being used, or realizing where the person might be right and wrong are important.
    I wouldn't have escaped my "Whoa was me, I'm such a nice guy and girls only love assholes" phase without questioning some of my ideas and principles. I was a passive aggressive prick who tip toed around telling females I wanted them and expected them to read my mind even turned down getting laid because I wasn't confident in MYSELF and still blamed women. And some people DONT like to think their wrong (possible childhood issues).

• many people seem to be very sensitive about their opinions and any questioning or challenge of those opinions

• My God, you did nothing wrong! Never apolige for something you didn't do. I've only been on here for 5 days. I have read a lot of comments by the men and there are a ton of neanderthals on the site. They are like little boys who never grew up. They get off on being rude, crude and just plain mean. These guys are the reason so many girls are so self concious and insecure. Don't reply to those idiots. That's what they want. Their intention is to upset and hurt you and the satisfaction they get is your reaction. Always consider the source before you allow it to affect you. Those who wonder why you didn't include girls in your question are not very bright either. It's really simple, you are a young woman and you wanted to know what guys think.

• I wish we could retire the word "triggered." This is real life. Not everyone agrees on everything, and we all just have to deal with that. With precious few exceptions, no one should be getting "triggered" by much of anything. Agree to disagree, or take a swing at someone if you're that offended. It's worked that way for a long time, but the last 5-10 years we somehow decided that simply hearing a differing opinion amounts to some kind of assault. I'm a pretty liberal guy, I know it's usually Trump voters you hear with this spiel, but I'm just a guy who, while still being socially progressive, thinks the world has a whole lot of toughening up to do.

• i3.kym-cdn.com/.../9d8.gif

I'm triggered right now

http://img.memecdn.com/triggered_o_6289201.jpg

because a man got PTSD from shooting a rifle. . . unbelievable. I'm offended because we don't even get guns in this country so I'm the one who's oppressed here not no feminists

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

• 28d

seriously though did you hear about that story. He pulled the trigger got scared then he had to go back to his safe space for a good cry?

Sometimes I can't even. . .

I just think I need a greencard, I'll swap places with that guy

• Whenever someone says "why do all (or most) _____ do this" people get offended since they feel if they're part of that group that you're attacking them directly.
    I'm sure you're not.

Them responding in an immature way just proves your thesis.

Don't apologize if you're not wrong.

• It seems that being "triggered" is being misused a defense against any criticism or disagreement.

Omg, he/she didn't like my answer, I must have triggered them! The issue with words like this being adopted on a massive scale is that idiots acquire them and it stifles discourse. People can't have an honest conversation with themselves or others because there is word justifying them in some way.

Are some people immature? Sure. Were they "triggered"? Possibly. Two years ago, they werent triggered, they just disagreed and you actually had to reflect on what you said.

• Because it's GAG, most people here have never had their ideas challenged cause they make little contact with people in the real world.
    This kind of site attracts these kind of people, because they're free to say whatever they want without facing any consequences. It's what happens all over the Internet, really.

Bitterness is very present around GAG, plus, those who get offended, do so for a reason. Having a stranger online tell you what you don't want to admit to yourself can be quite difficult for some.

• Some have little more in their lives to be proud of than their own opinions. When people build their identity around their opinions, to argue with them makes them feel like they are being attacked. If they don't know how to cope with it, they might lash out.

• I confirm the myth :o
    Certain subjects are delicate and seem to have "lobbies" that get triggered when you talk about them.
    Talk about free arms possession or about Trump and you'll get reactions with a political smell :-(

• So many sensitive ass dudes on this website, the pansiness is appalling! :-/

• I just want you to remember all these guys here (make a list or something) who are talking who are like"so many sensitive jerks" or "they're are immature" etc like they are really blaming others. And then compare it later with guys on your questions that offend them. You will surprise yourself ☺

• Because they were never raised properly by good parents. They never had good enough parents, and they do not have the maturity that they need to live in society properly.

• It's not just GaG it's everywhere on the internet lol, don't mind them.

• If u can't let your anger out IRL where else u gonna do it?

I don't know I'm guessing lol

• how dare say that it offends me as a jewish christain muslim bisexual , trisexual , transgender sjw feminist black Asian guy

• Because they be sensitive and emotional

• Not easy to trigger me. Unless you talk about something that I'm angry about, but they're very few things (and I don't even remember seeing questions about them on here).

• Was i offended? I wasn't. Sorry if it seemed like that.

• There is never a point to asking why certain people are triggered at every little thing. They just are. Nothing more to it. Perhaps they gain a sense of victimhood.

• 28d

No science behind it?

• 28d

I just copied most of what I said on your previous question lol. But I do think it applies here.

But well to be honest, it depends on upbringing. The triggered generation is a product of both parents being off to work and then coming home to never give them attention. But when they do, they pamper them. So the result is a sense of entitlement - that somehow your feelings matter when in reality no one's feelings do or should matter.

• I dont know why people are that way. How could they get offended about teenage boys? XD I can tell you teenage boys are nothing but problems and just want sex cuz its the truth xD

• Not saying you specifically, but a lot of people write really antagonistic subject lines for their questions. People have already rolled their eyes and come into the question ready for a fight, regardless of what the body of the question actually is.

• I think every group has trigger words - What triggers me, loaded questions - Most of the time I just detour around a debacle if I see a big you said/I said opinion stream.

• Well, with guys, I think it's because they just get sick of females downing everything about them all the time. I'm not saying you were necessarily doing that, but it's pretty redundant on GaG for girls to talk about everything they think is wrong with guys. They pretend they don't do that even though they really do, and if a guy talks about females he gets all manner of hate as well.

• It sucks because they might be so pissed that they don't give you the reason or want to solve the issue and just ignore you or block you lol

• I still am unsure where the line is when being triggered or calling someone out of just getting angry is?

• 28d

Even when you provide a trigger warning, people will still
      Find a reason to bitch

• "Yeah, you should know already I'm not talking about ALL teenage boys"
    you wrote this in the detail section, so it's not your fault they can't understand English

i didn't get triggered at all because you didn't mean all teenagers, Yes I'm super sensitive for example i get so sad when i say Hi to someone and they don't reply my greetings, and yes it annoys me if they're too sensitive like me.

and I'm sorry for what happened :(

• Something about being able to think aloud on the Internet.

• I used to get "triggered" easily. When I was a feminist, and when I was an anti-feminist. Now, I don't care and avoid talking about gender politics as much as I can. I only end up harming myself when I give a shit about that kind of stuff.

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 30

• Because they likely don't have much going on in their lives, and there are people out there who feel that to represent a movement or an opinion (instead of, you know, supporting it by actually partaking in it, donating to the causes they bitch about, attending rallies, etc) they have to bitch on the internet like it's somehow going to make a difference.

Shit all triggers me because I don't give a damn.

• 28d

Exactly like why are you mad though

• 28d

Like people always say that girls are always triggered but I've seen some guys get triggered on here too. I have depression, but I'm nowhere near as triggered as some of these people.

• 28d

A lot of people feel that the only way to defend or represent something is to lose their shit on the internet unfortunately.

• There's a lot of easily triggered men, meat eaters, conservatives etc yet they claim that it's only women, vegans, liberals etc who get offended.

Let me piss them off, just for the fuck of it:
    -"nice guys" are the biggest hypocrites. You can't expect your kindness only to get her panties dripping and then get mad and become a misogynist and still claim that you're "nice".
    -meat literally is one of the worst things you can do to the environment. It pollutes water, pollutes the air, takes up so much land, requires so much water. And this isn't even taking into account all the animals that die for our selfish consumption, not to mention the horrible conditions they are in. Also, for western meat eaters, it's hypocritical af to call Asians monsters or barbaric for eating dog meat, yet we eat cows, pigs, chickens etc and cows are sacred in other cultures.
    -You shouldn't be required to stand up for the national anthem or be required to stand up for the pledge of allegiance. Especially not kids. That's just blind nationalism and pretty much indoctrination. We used to criticize nazis for doing it yet now we do the same.

• everyone has something which would trigger them... people doing that on petty things are just over sensitive I guess

• If it is Someone who doesn't like a Certain Subject, it's a Sore Subject to them, @RaibowFanGirl. such as Religion and Politics.
    Times like this, I feel on here, dear, Best from the Rest for Anyone, Including Myself, to Go Blue or Pink ANON.
    It's helped me Get Master.
    Good luck and Great question, Thank you again for the Invite. xx

• 1.bp.blogspot.com/.../rustled-jimmies-9.jpg

hehe.

- They take it super personally, don't like the idea someone else might be right, etc, etc.

• Most take things too personally.

• Your question was objectively asked because it was based on experience but I guess the reactions you got were subjective, thus the criticisms about the "general" notions about teenage boys. Hence, "triggered."

Feminists? I thought they are for equality for both men and women?

• 28d

You ever been on YouTube? People always make fun of people for being triggered. That's what I was talking about. I don't think triggered is that right word though. But yeah, so many people were geninely upset with me, even when I apologized. I don't understand it.

• 28d

Yes, I visit YouTube almost everyday but I don't really watch videos containing highly opinionated stuff.

Those people were probably upset with you because they're incapable of recognizing the fact that you have your own stand.

If they accepted your apology, they should've understood you and respected you instead-- but they didn't. That is clearly not good.

• Yes, haha. All the butthurt babies act like they're tough to the bone, but so many were #triggered when I created my "how much of a feminist are you" question.

• People like to nitpick. That's the term I'll use to answer why people got upset or bothered by your question and ones like it. I guess they assume that you're picking on one gender and completely disregarding the issues of the opposite sex that wasn't mentioned.

In other cases, people just like to troll and make fools of themselves. :P

• Because many of the people who will leave an opinion on such posts feel courageous enough to speak up only through online mediums like GaG. They're quiet as a mouse in rl, so are doubly loud/obnoxious online to compensate. 😩

• I think they think its enjoyment or funny to do when it just makes them look like a ass to other people.

• People are immature, and have nothing better to do with their lives.
    I don't think labelling them sensitive is right though, because I'm relatively sensitive but I don't get triggered on here (well, not really, and generally it's when people pick a fight lmao).

• 28d

Me either unless hey are blatantly hateful with their words. = I'll admit I was triggered too

• 28d

Agreed, there are some people that are asking for a fight, or others that are just so toxic that they trigger people too.

• your too sensetive. Forget get those internet weridos even exists.

• People who are easily triggered, they tend to assume and presume rather than seek facts or seek to understand others' motivations or the bigger picture. A practical or logical approach about issues that come up may not be used, because their first and foremost goal is to eliminate the pain they feel when triggered into feeling offended. They often believe lashing out is the quickest, most effective way to ease the pain. Possible short- and long-term consequences of this action are not considered

• 28d

Also don't apologise because someone threw their toys out of the pram.

• This site attracts some very sensitive and unstable people. Especially men, I have to say.

It's like these days you have to specifically say that you don't mean to say 'all xyz' or 'only xyz does this'. Some people don't have the common sense to recognise that you don't mean to generalise, so they get instantly defensive.

• That's how guys do it... It's sad... but that's how it is - because they're frustrated and need to take that out on someone...

• I am sure those guys have nothing better to do with their live. Maybe they got tired of complaining about some girl who didn't want to sleep with them.

• We live in a society where people need to grow up and stop making everything about them. Being triggered is supposed to be for people who have been legitimately traumatized not assholes who don't like being called assholes.

• Because people get a high from arguing with others. A lot of people aren't on here to genuinely answer question but rather to start a conflict.

• because they can't handle stuffs or were having a bad day

• I don't get offended easily I just kinda brush everything off. Everyone's different but try to ignore them to be honest. I love you Girly some people are so rude. :-*

• Yes I can't stand easily offended people these days.. you can't say anything without someone being offended. America, home of the brave and the offended.

• Because they like to make a big deal out of nothing and make everything dramatic for no reason, probably out of boredom and because they're behind a computer screen and face no repercussion

• people are sensitive

• cause they re over sensitive pussies
    let them be

• People here are sensitive

• Tell me about it. This site is full of them!

• Because some people need to get out of their houses more often.

• The world is too sensitive. I don't get triggered easily.

• Everyone gets offended over everything now. Pretty sad world to live in huh? Its probably gonna get worse. Dont sweat it though, some people just need to put on their big boy or big girl panties and deal with things instead of crying all the time.