Why do so many people stick to just being anonymous all the time?

I see so many people just staying anonymous for even non controversial opinions or questions so I am wondering is there some kind of reason? What's the point of being anonymous when no one knows who you are on this site anyways?

Would like some insight, thanks :).

Most Helpful Girl

• I noticed yr post about IP blocking on another thread. I just wanted to correct some misconceptions there -- because there are, indeed, potentially major problems with IP address blocking.

Both kinds of problems, actually:

1)
    The IP block might not actually be able to block the person you want to block,

2)
    The IP block might potentially block LOTS of *other* (innocent) people.

__

Some specific examples of issues:

__

PHONES:
    Lots of people use this site from phones.

If anyone uses the site from a phone whose network assigns dynamic IP addresses, IP blocking can't stop them (problem type #1 above).

Also, some wireless networks assign fixed IP addresses to specific cell towers -- meaning, blocking that IP address would prevent anyone connected to that particular cell tower from using the site (problem type #2).

__

WI-FI HOTSPOTS:

Every Wi-Fi hotspot has a different public IP address. This creates both problems #1 and #2 -- you can probably see why.

__

MOST SIGNIFICANTLY...

LARGE NETWORKS:

Lots of large networks assign the same public IP address to *huge* numbers of devices connected to the same LAN or Wi-Fi network.

For instance, all the networked devices in an entire large university dorm -- or even ALL the networked devices at AN ENTIRE UNIVERSITY (depending on when the school's block (s) of IP addresses were assigned) -- might actually show the same public IP address.

In fact, this is going to sound like I'm bullshitting, but there have even been instances in which entire COUNTRIES have connected to the internet with the same public IP address.
    Yep.
    Entire countries.
    For instance, in 2007 the entire nation of Qatar was banned from posting on Wikipedia for a day or so, because THE WHOLE COUNTRY HAD A SINGLE PUBLIC IP ADDRESS... which happened to be exceeding the number of edits that Wikipedia used as the cutoff for "vandalism".
    Lol.
    I shit you not:
    http://news.BBC.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6224677.stm

I don't think it's quite so stark anymore... but, consider that single-IP bans have literally shut out entire countries before, and you'll see that that solution is FAR from perfect.

• 10d

I don't know about all the tech nerd stuff, but I know that I was told that IP blocking doesn't work because of "dynamic" IP addresses as opposed to "static" ones. They can also block email addresses. We all know how easy that is to get around.

My personal stalker here (so I'm told) - has used multiple devices, IP addresses, and email addresses to create several new accounts in a day or week.

But it still annoys me that we can't get an OPTIONAL filter to filter out anon questions and comments if we are not in the mood to see them, etc.

You can post a question without allowing anon replies, why can't we filter them out of our live feed?

• 9d

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone at GAG is looking at you through your webcam right now.

• 6d

Tx for the MHLuv <3

What Girls Said 16

• Exactly, I don't get it!
    If it's controversial, I don't really care. But considering this website is ALREADY anonymous, and mods can see it, I don't see the point.
    But I see someone ask on anonymous "What's your favourite ice cream flavour". Like, what's the point?

• Because they want to troll or have had issues with harassment.

• 10d

Isn't there a block function on this website?

• 10d

That's the same thing I've thought as well. I really think they should do at least *something*.

• 10d

100% agree...

• I tend to only do it for certain types of personal stuff. Where it might be TMI (both the question or what I'm commenting with).

• I think it's just force of habit. They're so used to it, that they can't post questions/answers without using the anonymous feature.
    The reason why they are anonymous is because they don't want to have questions/opinions associated to their account. Or they feel don't feel comfortable with sharing certain things.

• Some people don't want their usernames out there. They just want to answer questions and leave it at that, not making friends or anything. Some people are just that worried about revealing their identity as well.

• They're scared of being judged and becoming an outcast for their opinions.

They could also be doing it for trolling purposes or to just let the fact they're annon drive others crazy.

• i don't know, maybe they don't want people to judge them based on their age or profile picture even. some people even check out the other questions they ask before answering the question.

i mean I'm 13, i go anonymous because of my age.

• I go anonymous to answer sexual things so people don't message me about it

• For me, it depends on the question. :)

• Im never anonymous

• 10d

Same... I just don't care enough to be anon I guess.

• Only 1 anon question which was about my private life
    I hate being anon

• Maybe they don't want people to see their user name

• 1. Because I want to.
    2. Because I do not wish to converse with people or make friends.
    3. Because I've heard plenty of stuff about people getting doxxed.
    4. Because I do not want anyone to associate the information I share here with my personal identity.
    5. Because the option is there. If it bothers you so much, then don't read anon questions/answers.

• 9d

Seems like you're a little bit defensive. I never said I was against anons in my whole question. I was just wondering why.

• I just feel more comfortable that way. I do not like to be contacted.

• Because when I made a question about when I was raped, some guy flooded my inbox with dick pics and called me a damaged lying whore who should be flogged and stoned, and he just kept doing that (with new accounts) until I deactivated and started a new one myself.

• 10d

You coud've probably gotten a moderator to block his IP or something.

• 10d

People suck
      Sorry

• 10d

Seriously... I'm very sorry for that. I understand why you'd remain anonymous. Thanks for the reply and very sorry for what has happened.

• Being anonymous is so lame. I dont know why people do it

What Guys Said 12

• Some people don't want to be followed or fear for their privacy regardless and want an extra measure to protect their identity.

• I think people get into the habit of doing it

• Maybe they don't want people following them based upon their opinion on a particular topic.

• I go annonymous when i talk about my humiliating fetishes

• I don't know. I only go anonymoous when saying really racy stuff.

• Becuase the internet took away our freedom of speech

• they're cowards and pussies.

• Because I dont want people to know I fucked my hot little teenage cousins.

• Not sure.

• Fu2.

• It's probably because of stalkers and going to extra measures to protect their privacy. Even if you block someone, they can still harass you by making a new account. Maybe they like to stay unknown and hidden in the community. I only go anonymous whenever there is something I don't want associated with my username (like this opinion).

• I really hate anon users too. They are a bunch of betas.