Why can't we downvote questions?

The Asker can downvote to their hearts content but if we dislike a question we cannot respond in kind. Is this fair?

Most Helpful Girl

• Good point. I was in the camp of not bringing back the down vote anyway. Most of the whiners had stopped complaining about not having it anyway.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 4

• It doesn't really bother me to be honest, but I see your point. The same does go for myTakes. I guess you can just ignore the question or comment and say you dislike it for whatever reason, though.

• You can *comment* if you dislike it so much. Many people seem to have zero problem with that as it is.

the same about opinions, people still cried for months about it

true, but your first comment still applies for opinions. people could have just commented but instead they were crying for months to get the downvotes back

@Yumix Because peoples comments serve a different function than questions in the community.

• i'd just ignore it

• It doesn't really bother me tbh.

What Guys Said 5

• Why do people even need to downvote stuff? When you're talking to someone in person do you downvote what he's saying if you don't like it?

When I was a kid, we used a thumb up to show someone was our friend, and we used a thumb down to show the friendship was over... this was in elementary school.
    All these people wanting to downvote stuff remind me of little kids.

• Fair? That's a place you go once a year to get cotton candy.

• People might just skip commenting if they could just like and dislike which would kill a lot of traffic on the site.

• Because Mark Zuckerburg probably owns this site too. That's one of the reasons I quit Facebook, can't dislike or hate anything.

• why can't we downvote life?