Why do GaG notifications not get marked as "read" when I'm on Linux?

It happens when I'm on Windows or Mac but I have to do it manually on Linux, which sucks because I prefer Linux :/

I also use the same browser on all of them and have desktop notifications turned off.

Most Helpful Guy

• because GAG sucks. This bug exists since December (!), I reported it instantly after their shitty update that caused it but I got after a few minutes a reply that they apparently can't reproduce it... my ass, they didn't even try.

Yeah I doubt if they care lol

I was able to reproduce the problem on a VM running the live CD you sent.
      Tried to debug it with no results whatsoever. At the forst time, it seemed like some browser optimization cause it loaded the page too fast, like just partially updating the content. But just by visiting a link should remove the notification, which does not happen.

I couldn't find any relevant request made on my machine that wasn't present in there, and the only difference was of course the web-agent of the requests (may be that, if they check for a specific string? (which I doubt))

I can think of an easy workaround though: the ajax request to mark as viewed clearly works, so you can just create a simple extension that makes that request with the question id (which is present in every link) at the beginning of every page load.

Since they won't fix it, cause it works good on the most popular linuxes, I'd do the extension if I were you. It should be small anyway...

@mikemx55 thanks for MHO :p

Most Helpful Girl

• Hi! You mean that the "Mark all as read" on the Notifications tab doesn't work on Linux?

That works. I can even mark them individually, but it needs to be done manually. It doesn't automatically get marked once I see the post

Oh ok, thanks for reporting it, we'll look into the issue :)

What Guys Said 5

• Unfortunately, Linux is underrated by most of the online companies, they just don't care about programing the sites for Linux.

it has nothing to do with "programming sites for Linux"

if they follow the standards and there are no bugs, then the site runs fine on every operating system / browser

@Yumix You mean that problem is in the standards, or just bugs?

• i sometimes had this problem on linux too but it was because i was logged in on my phone and on computer at the same time. which OS are you using btw? i am on ubuntu.

• Lmao only you would use Linux while you eat babies 😝

• Happens on my cellphone a bunch of times as well. Some days it's fine, others it's not. Usually when I clear my browser cookies, cache and history it goes away.

• What's game developing like?

@LadyTerror

What Girls Said 1

• I doubt Gag cares too much about fixing they're site on Linux. :(

I know :(

It works on linux. Of course there's hundreds of botched versions of that thing. It's your responsibility to pick a good one, knowing that you're gonna live with its perks.