Why do questions related to suicide get taken down?

It's like the 2nd or 3rd one taken down from my experience, doesn't make much sense to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Suicide is a very sensitive topic that should be handled by trained professionals. This is why posts can be removed for that reason, as you can see in our posting guidelines here. http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/posts#9

When the post is removed, the user is sent a help message with links to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and the phone number where they can reach out to get help.

What Girls Said 5

• I think it's pathetic how they're taken down. I really wanna help someone and then the mods take it down. Why mods?

• Admins think its triggering or some shit.
    I think people should be able to help others if they post something like that on here.

• Makes sense to me. People can be dicks, and if someone is having a real problem, the last thing they need is some insensitive comment or some trolling asshole to push them over the edge. They need to speak to someone trained in dealing with desperate people, not an internet QA forum with dumb people.

I mean in a way yes, but that person's question where she said she is sure to kill herself. I doubt she is going to be seeking any legal counselling it seems. Kinda sad that no one can help her here or in real life I am guessing.

She does. But she needs it from someone trained to give it.

Well sadly if she already made up her mind, I doubt she will go to anyone. Hopefully she maybe changes her mind or it was just a big cry for help and maybe it's a bluff. Who knows...

• Could it be against the rules.

• I reported the last one, it was 30min ago maybe? I lose track of time pretty easily
    but come to think about it there are a lot of trolls on this site and the people with suicidal tendencies are vulnerable, they need real help from people who actually care about them and not everyone on here is nice... 😕

No they aren't but they also make the choice to go on a website where people want to ask questions (including controversial ones). And some people get triggered by abuse, should all people asking for advise on abusive relationships be taken down. God, what about rape questions? I see your point, but that's not a good enoguh reason to take it down. It's a good reason to remove some comments that people make. And if a question is asked in a rude way then sure.

What Guys Said 6

• There is a number of reasons not to do it
    (1) The question is removed and links to help sites are given
    (2) If question left up and people encourage people to do it, is site liable?
    (3) Could suicide pacts develop?
    (4) Trolls - Do it loser
    (5) Attention seekers and hoaxes - The genuine cries for help would be swamped
    (6) The God complex - Talk to me, I have no experience or training to deal in a situation like this
    (7) Linked to 5, if too many appear we get fed up and lose our compassion

• If I remembered correctly it is against the policies and terms of this website. They don't want any "legal" liabilities associated with it in case someone did take their own life for real and then relatives, family or even friends of the suicide victim turns around and hold the website accountable for being involved and facilitating a suicide and caused it to happen for real. I think it's like that in many websites since there are laws and regulations against it or something.

• Because of legal liability and the possibility of lawsuits.

Keep me up to speed, how can someone sue by asking a question on this site. It leaves the owner of this site somehow legally obligated or involved?

Everything that we write on this site legally becomes the property of the owners of the site. If someone says something that might be interpreted as facilitating a suicide (like cyberbullying), then the owners become legally culpable as being complicit in this. This exposes the owners to a wrongful death civil lawsuits by the suicide victim's family and possibly criminal charges as in criminal negligence from not acting.

This may explain it better...
      www.ericgoldman.org/.../websiteliabilityalert.htm

WEBSITE PROVIDER LIABILITY FOR USER CONTENT AND ACTIONS

• They think it encourages other people to commit suicide.

Actually, a good point. It's a reason why news doesn't really report suicides or are very careful about it, because there's statistical evidence that when it gets a lot of coverage, the number of suicides spike dramatically.

Social proof at work

@TiffyPuff
      Yeah, it does kinda make sense.

• Their much better off not asking here since theirs a lot of trolls and we're not trained therapists just random people.

• it's a reportable topic

I find that stupid, yes let's report someone for a possible cry of help. I mean really... I can see why it may be report able but it's stupid.

it's reportable because, gag does not want to be responsible for assisted suicide