Should the GAG community be able to petition to have a mod's status removed if they consistently prove to be unworthy of the title?

This is our community so shouldn't we have a say in who's elected to moderate and have some level of authority and power? If there is a moderator or two who constantly shows that they are not at a certain level maturity wise and intellectually to uphold a position of authority, should the GAG community be able to petition to have their mod status removed?

• Yes.
  • No.
2mo Say there was an open public poll written by Admin, left open for a week maybe, where GAG members simply either vote yes or no on the mods to gain a fair, reasonable public perspective of who should be trusted with authority and who should not. If people would like to disclose why they are voting yes or no, then they can do so with a private answer where they detail why they have made their choice. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I know Moderators who come on my opinion or comment
    to Antagonize post / questions well i reported one to the Administrator
    but he never got back to me and i messaged him personally they can
    care less and i agree with your post we should be able to petition to
    have their Moderator status removed.

Most Helpful Girl

• No lol, this isn't a democracy. The site is owned and operated by someone and the mods work for that person. Just like you don't have a say in who your boss hires or promotes, you don't have a say here.

What you're suggesting is also bullying. There should not be a public poll or vote posted for everyone to see with a mods name on it asking if you think they're worthy. Plus, there's too many trolls on this site anyway to take that poll seriously. Mods don't work for you lol, and it's not like they're getting paid, either.

That's not necessarily true. If GAG members truly had no say here, then our opinions and ideas would not have been constantly asked for, recommended, and consulted with in order to make constant updates to this website for more than the past year.

What I’m suggesting is not bullying, but to simply put an end to mods who abuse their authority. The mods who are consistent with being respectful of users here and do not abuse their authority should have nothing to worry about in a situation with a poll. There are more people here with authentic intentions than there are trolls. Mods may not work for me, but that doesn’t mean myself or other users have to tolerate any shady, sneaky, unjust, unfair behavior from them. They’re not getting paid so no loss, right? :)

First, I didn't say you didn't have a say in the site, I said you don't have a say in who gets a promotion, including here. Which is 100% true.

And it is bullying. Anything put out there for the public to vote on about one individual is bullying. So if you're at work and you keep messing up, how would you feel if you boss put up a big poster with your name and picture on it asking your co-workers and customers (if you have customers) should you keep your job based on the things you do? It's up for several days. You'd be mad. That's not a mature way to approach a mod not doing their job, not to mention you'd have absolutely no evidence that a mod is not doing their job.

If you think that way about the mods, go to a different forum. Or, better yet, become a mod instead of posting whiney questions like this one. Make a difference that way. I was a mod and it's not hard to become one.

I'm not saying that we should have a say in promotion. I am saying that if there are users who continue to have experiences with mods who fail to uphold their behavior to a certain standard and consistently behave in the ways that the report options list, then we as a community should have a better, more competent authoritative leader around here.

There are unintentional accidents and then there is outright abuse of power and disregard for the way you treat those who experience your work. The mods I'm referring to are not just "making mistakes" and "messing up" repeatedly: they are knowingly, intentionally choosing to do the wrong thing.

Don't tell me what to do: I nor anyone else should have to leave because some mods are sincerely unequipped to be doing the job. Perhaps the fact that you used to be a mod is why you have such a defensive tone with me. My question isn't whiny but if you're going to dismiss it as so then Ill make sure you no longer participate.

What Guys Said 11

• How would we prove they are abusing their power or objectively determine whether or not they "deserve" the authority?

There are a couple of mods I would definitely vote to impeach but thats just because I dont like them as peole and think they are full of themselves. However, I can't prove any of them abuse their power or that they shouldn't be mods. I just dont like them, and I feel like thats how most people would vote. It would just be a popularity contest.

• if you have a specific issue with a moderator contact administration and copy and paste of screen shot the issues.

moderators are routinely evaluated and there are consequences for violating terms of the job. so that is your power. if there issues present them to admins

• nah this isn't a democracy. its a private site, so the power lays on the admins and tolga. besides i dont think anyone would bother with it

• @fathoms77 pisses me off

Why is that?

Wow, that's even worse. Perhaps this isn't the place for me if even the admin are shady.

I know.

• My only change is a private poll - We don't want witch hunts or popularity contests - So if you got a private petition together with support of other users, you could privately give it to admin

• No, let YouTube hero stay that way and let the administrators stay the way are.

• No. While there can be immature mods, if it was up to the site population who got to be mods, it would be very easy for the opinionated majority to get who they want the status of moderator and use it to abuse the opposing minority on the site. For example: conservative users are the majority. They use their majority to get conservative moderators. They then abuse that power to treat liberal users unfairly.

• A democracy on this site would be so shit. People would fuck over mods because they do one little thing they don't like. Trust me I don't like what some mods do either but I would rather not have it that way.

• Most people blame the wrong mods anyways, anytime someone debates with me but they start to attack and insult me, their post gets removed by another mod and they blame me.

I can see how they might mistake that and how it'd annoy you. But surely if this petition was put up, and people provided their reasons, admins would at least KNOW that it wasn't you right and the reasoning for the petition to have you removed, is not actually just?

I don't know, there'd have to be more to it to work out. So people that are fair and just like yourself (perhaps, I have no idea if you are! lol), don't get mistakenly accused.

True, this is why I'm not an admin of some website (among many other reasons). Just how to keep it fair for everyone would be hard and some people get the short straw still in the end.

Some mods around here are already impacting their own reputations.

• I don't think it's worth the discussion

• How would we know?
    All mods might always post anonymously to be safe, which I think is good though. Anonymous ftw

What Girls Said 5

• I hate to be the legal eagle here, but this is not 'your community,' in the sense that you have any say in making or dictating its rules. Any time you sign up for any kind of social media site or paid service, you sign a little contract that says, you agree to follow our rules, or you leave.

In this case, you aren't paying to be on GaG, nothing is holding you here, so you may complain, but you have the right to walk away if you hate the way the system is or whomever is in charge of the system and they have the rght to boot you. This is not a democracy. When we do voice opinions or vote on things, it's things the mods/admins, etc. want your voice on, and even then, they may not listen as is there prerogative.

Basically this is the risk you take when you sign those contracts and agree to rules and a system or people in that system you may personally dislike. If anything, get some friends together, create your own thing, and you can rule anyway you want... but of course you do realize no matter how you rule, some people are going to hate you too.

Actually, yes, it is "our community" in the sense that without us as members, this website cannot flourish. The admin cannot make their money without the members here who create a community. And if it's not a "community" then you should tell that to admin seeing as they continuously refer to it as one.

Unless admin comes in here and tells us all that this is not a democracy, as far as I'm concerned, that's just some parroted, meaningless verbiage. If it were a dictatorship, the way you try to make it sound, then I don't think GAG admin would have put such emphasis on what the people want to make major changes to this site.

So, don't ask you questions, just agree I take it because if I don't, that means I don't care, I'm passive, or whatever you say has to be right because you simply said it... or if I do ask questions, or state information about GaG, I'm obsessively badgering you and trying to force my will onto you despite you having free will and me never actually saying you shouldn't or can't do what you want...

They are just questions, opinions, thoughts. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no need for you to get worked up over them and tell me how you don't have to proof anything to anyone. It's not an after school special, lol. :)

No offense but you seem to be overanalyzing and exaggerating how important this talk is and how significant what you say is when it comes to what I think on this topic. You're free to feel how you please but you cannot and will not change my mind on this due to VARIOUS stories I have heard.

I'm not worked up; just assertive when someone has worn out their welcome matt with excessive, uninteresting talking. You assumed that I don't have proof. Do you think you know everything? Because this isn't the first time you went ahead and spoke as if you do. Me showing my proof publicly just to appease your nosiness would be foolish and give said mods a chance to retract or change what they did so sorry honey, your nosey prying will not be obliged on this one. And your attitude problem won't help you get anywhere deeper when it comes to the proof I've gathered with others.

• I don't think that that's a bad idea but perhaps in practice, people would just vote off mods they personally dislike rather than ones that are genuinely bad mods.

• Yes, why Not?
    It should be a Privilege like our Own Opinion Here, Dear To... Vote for this.
    You are Not the First to Complain, so it Seems Mods are More irritating These days.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• If you are having an issue, contact the admins and share exactly why you believe the mod is abusing his or her title. Give as much proof as you can to support your claim.

@RedRain may be able to help you.

• Don't let mods get to you. I think you need to take a break from gag, you are taking it too seriously, just report them