Should we be able to downvote myTakes that don't allow comments?

I feel like we should because how else should we show disagreement? A lot of them are a complete load of baloney.

• Yes, we should.
  • No, we shouldn't.
  • I am Indifferent, show me the results.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure, that might not be a bad idea. However, if GaG does start permitting downvotes on mytakes, they shouldn't permit that without any comments. Otherwise, there'd be way too many people being lazy af and downvoting just because they don't agree with a mytake's point. (Similar to comments. Like why in the fuck do I get 10 downvotes on a post where all I put is confirming that I was born and raised in Canada?)

If people continue to be allowed to downvote without having to explain their distaste, this site will become an even bigger bait to people who are bitter af and too lazy to simply discuss differing opinions.

You are right. I don't even understand why was it necessary to allow comment disabling.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most editors would allow comments. And most MyTakes wouldn't be promoted if comments weren't allowed. I don't entirely understand what the point of writing a MyTake and disabling comments is. You said your piece, now let other people say theirs.

Compulsive blockers are just as bad in my eyes. Blocking somebody just because they disagree with you is ridiculous.

But I've clicked on so many MyTakes on the front page, read it and got to the bottom and realised that I can't share a comment...
      Totally agree with you by the way.

@Luci92 almost every article has Facebook plugin tho

@YourFutureEx True, but I don't know what you're getting at, because I still want to be able to share comments on Takes on here.

What Girls Said 15

• Bologna.

But honestly I don't see a point, either way, you can't express much.

• I've never been much of a fan of the down vote, but I think if you're going to allow "likes" for Takes AND Questions, they should also allow for down votes on BOTH.

• We should be able to downvote questions and mytakes in general :P

• Makes sense... but honestly, I don't really care that much...

• I agree with you!

• Yes, both mytakes and questions.

• I agree.

I agree with your agreement.

Forsooth my dear fellow!

I like sounding fancy too xD

But it works better for you since you're from the UK. :P

I'm pretty sure I would get evil looks trying to sound that way. XD

• I think we should just be allowed to give down votes on everything...

• *generally* I manage to stay remotely calm in my opinions, but takes that don't alow comments actually get me really mad, generally because a) they're full of shit, b) the poster doesn't want to deal with the shit (what a wimp) and c) I want to tell them that what they've written is shit.
    I've even got a group message from Fathoms to editors saying he'd recommend not disallowing comments too, so I don't think the actual admins are super keen on it either.

• I'm not against it. I see no reason why someone can't allow opinions. If they don't want to see the opinions, then don't scroll down. However, the content here should be interactive.

• Yupp

• What does that solve?

It destroys the illusion that the information thats presented is credible. You and I are aware the myTakes are only personal opinions, put pages from here pop up on Google so non-users can read them too, and they shouldn't be misled.

that explains it all..

• I don't think I've come across a take that doesn't allow opinions lol.
    But if they don't allow opinions, the writer should know if we generally liked it or not.

• Some times I think we should be able to vote on them.

• I don't bother reading myTakes that don't allow comments.

Same but sometimes I notice when I am done reading and I reach the bottom.

I like like well structured papers. Whenever a myTake has titles I read those first and if they are interesting enough I read the whole thing. That has allowed me to see if comments are allowed or not. But reading the whole myTake and realizing you can't comment would be really frustrating.

What Guys Said 9

• I know who you are talking about - There is an anon girl throwing grenades then you get to bottom, no comments allowed. Not downvoting but just a warning that this is a self centred rant at the top.

You are right, a warning would be nice, or at least a disclaimer that the information posted is not credible.

• seems legit

• Yeeesss!

• Yeah we should be able to downvote them! I have only came across 2 but they were both stupid.

• I personally think opinions should never be disabled.

• I don't see why not.

• While I pushed for the downvotes to be brought back, I don't take a lot of interest in myTakes. I don't think this is a high priority.

• Yes we should, that's a great idea.

• I've reported them