Would You Care If A G@G User Killed Themselves Because Of An Insult You Said?

I just noticed that some of the insults on G@G are becoming ridiculous, especially among the women population, but the guys do it, too. And I think people underestimate the power cyber bullying can have on some people and forget that if someone kills themselves over something you do or say that you can be held liable, even if you don't know them personally.

So would it bother you if you said something to a G@G user and found out the things you said on here about and to them helped sway the individual to commit suicide?

• Yes, I'd feel bad
  • No, that's not my problem
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• If a GaG user would kill himself because of an insult I said - he was a ticking timebomb to begin with and if it wouldn't have been my insult, it would have been someone elses.

Yes, I would feel bad - but I would be fully aware that it's not my fault nor blame for it since that person had way deeper lying and bigger issues than my insult.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd feel absolutely horrible. I was thinking about this actually a couple days ago and I was thinking how I'd never be able to forgive myself.

What Guys Said 32

• Any normal person would feel bad if someone did something terrible like that. But that doesn't mean they were responsible for it. There are all kinds of people on the Internet. Some of them are mentally unstable. You can't expect everyone who comments to be a psychiatrist. It's not a commenters fault if someone has mental issues.

Who decides what is "bullying" and what is not? Some people call any opinions that doesn't agree with theirs "bullying. " The only way to keep speech free is to defend OFFENSIVE speech. That's what the First Amendment is about. If speech isn't offensive it doesn't need any protection. If you are going to participate in debates on the Internet with people who you don't know, you have to be able to take what comes. If you can't then find something else to do. That's the nature of free speech. You can't expect everyone's speech to be limited and intimidated because there are some people who have mental problems and keep coming back for more when they are unable to take it. There are enough places where your speech is limited. Leave the Internet alone. It's the only place left where free speech is allowed.

• I got here by accident on a Google search, originally. After just a few minutes looking at what was here, I was appalled. I ended up creating an account. Why? To give one person a decent answer when she was receiving insulting answers. It wasn't even a controversial or provocative question but everyone was being incredibly awful. I've wanted to give up a few times because the general mean spiritedness here is bad, as is the lack of gratitude to people who put effort into real answers. I'm not saying I've rescued anyone from the Internet, but the few genuine connections I've made, even with anons, kinda make it worth it.

To answer your question, of course. I voted yes. But can say with a clear conscience that I haven't said anything to spur someone to suicide. I have probably made people feel insulted, but it was for their own good… like telling them the unvarnished truth about themselves.

• I honestly would love to see some asshole go to prison after someone killed themselves because of some shit that asshole said. I just hate trolls and losers and cowards who would never be anything but nice and friendly in real life, but online they act like the real piece of shit they are.

• Yes and no. It's disappointing that people have not grown thicker skin, after the 20+ year existence of the internet. While I'd feel bad for insulting them (I very seldom insult people), committing suicide is something that THEY chose to do. They could have gotten help to deal with the problem (s) they were having. No way would my insults be the reason that a person kills themselves. They VERY, VERY likely had other issues already before I would ever insult them. If I do insult someone, it's a rather soft insult. But as I mentioned already, I very very seldom insult people.

I never said it was the main reason. I said it helped sway them to the decision.

Yeah, I would care because I try to be nice to people and offer them the best advice I can give them regarding anything. I hardly insult people anymore.

• of course I would, sometimes ya I am mean to some people who kind of deserve it but I am never too mean in a sense, I don't really do personal attacks or harass them, and etc. But if someone actually killed themselves from something I said, I would probably have a panic attack and feel a sadness that I hope to never feel.

I guess these are the things you have to think about when you say something to someone online...

• I can't say I insult anyone but the flip side to this is the amount of precious types on here that take offence to anything

• if someone doesn't feel guilty because someone killed themselves as a result insults directed by them then they are probably sociopaths

• id feel bad yes. i try not to insult people even though my opinions and replies to opinions are deleted on a weekly basis.

• People need to start realizing that everyone is human and the less negativity put out into the world the better it will be.

• I don't insult people so wouldn't happen
    And if it did yes I'd feel bad

• I wouldn't feel responsible in every situation. If a person is mentally unstable already, anything could trigger them. It's not my fault that they decided to take the step.

• Of course.
    I've bene suicidal and attempted twice

• care? i'd kill myself, i can't hurt anyone. even if i hurt someone's feelings unintentionally i get depressed and very sad, and i feel like im gonna kill myself, because hurting someone is not even the last thing i want to do to anyone. i can't think of hurting anyone, and your saying killing? thats a worst nightmare for me

• id' probably feel something yeah

• I'd suggest they were a bit overly sensitive!

• If someone killed them self over an insult, then there was many more issues beforehand that already brought them that close to the edge already..

So what's your answer?

It wouldn't have to say your username, just the comment and police do go through personal things like computers and they could go through your G@G account. If G@G is subpoenaed and asked to provide log in information and account information, they can find out who you are what happened on the internet. That happens all the time.

You missed out on the helpful part of my comment..

• I have insulted many on here BUT within merit of the dumbass questions THEY posted to begin with... I wonder how many have been pushing up daisies?

• It'd be devastating to me. But that's why I watch what I say to the degree that I do.

• If someone successfully commits suicide as a result of being bullied on the internet, then that person had some serious issues to begin with, rendering it not liable for living life. I call it natural selection.

It would have been the best if that person wouldn't be involved with electronic devices in the first place.

• i doubt anything i say on here to anyone would drive someone to kill themselves, im actually naturally nice to everyone here. and if someone can't take an honest truth, or advice. than im sorry, thats their problem. i voted A tho. id definitely feel bad especially if someone got the wrong idea.

• Hah! Ofcourse not..

• The female users who are are referring to probably won't post an opinion.

Probably not. But women do it way more than the guys do by far. One says something intentionally mean then another fires back, then other women jump in the convo and it always results in a big ass cat fight.

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about.

• You are bound to feel really guilty

• in that case that person had much bigger problems than my little insult

• Yes. i would feel bad but I'm not mean with people and i know where my place is i treat people with love and respect.

• Man, that'd be an embarrassing way to die.

• That would suck...

• Of course and I would weep until to the very end of every last of my atom dissipates.

• How would I even know?

• In all honesty I don't think much would care. I'm not trying to be rude, it just seems that way

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 7

• I most certainly don't** think I'd ever be the reason why a certain gag user would kill themselves. I'm hardly ever mean. Saying something that will result someone to end their life is the last thing that'll happen. For this reason I voted for 'other'. I wouldn't feel guilty because no such thing would ever happen.

• AHAHA AHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

no.

to downvoters: I've been insulted a million times on the internet. I've been bullied and name called in the real life. and here I am.

If i insult anyone on the internet, that I usually don't even when I get insulted, and the person goes and commits suicide, that means he or she had serious issues for a long time before I said anything. If he/she says I'm responsible he's is simply lying. suicide isn't a choice made in 1 minute. and i don't need to take any responsibility for what he or she has been through to made him/her suicidal, and for his/her final choice.

an insult is never expected to cause someone suicidal. there is no obligation that a person should feel responsible for the over-sensitivity of another person.

especially on the internet.

no. surviving hardship is pretty natural. committing suicide because of one or two internet insults? now that needs a medal.

The downvoters just don't like the ideology of nazism and national social democracy worker parties. What else can I say :P?

• Yea I'd feel bad.

• Pretty doubtful that would ever happen. I see some users killing themselves because they're 'angry at the world', or 'bitter and frustrated' or believe they're 'misunderstood'...
    Not because of any honesty I say... And people shouldn't apologize for being honest.

I was talking more about insults.

• Yes. But I'm not an offensive person in general, I'm very diplomatic and yet not "Politically correct", so I share my idea and point of view without insulting and offending, I'm sure this will never happen to me.

• I would feel quite bad, but the person must have other issues to go that deep and kill him/herself just for some insults on gag. But i would still feel very bad.

I try my best not insult someone. Even though i come out rude sometimes it`s not on purpose, unless the person is being mean

• Yes, I would feel bad.