Does it ever shock you when you look at a sexual post, and you realize the asker is under 16?

seriously. when i was 13 years old, i barely paid attention to the opposite sex. and as i got older, the idea of having sex with someone wasn't even a consideration. it's amazing how much the world has changed. does it ever shock anyone else?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it does. But in a way it doesn't, based on the way our society has been becoming as of the last several years. Because parents don't keep enough tabs on their kids' internet activity, they are vulnerable to see things that they shouldn't see yet (if ever). If parents weren't familiar with computers (and smartphones) enough, then they shouldn't have gotten one in the first place instead of giving one to their kids "automatically" and not taking the time to discuss them (computers) with them (kids)

What Guys Said 15

• On GAG, it does not shock me at all. I was very curious about and anxious to have sex in my early teens. However, there are some questions I just won't answer. A 15yo asking for advice on how to give blowjobs… I'm all for being sex positive, but I just can't bring myself to answer that. It's not as if it doesn't get asked a dozen times a day anyway, and there are plenty of other websites that discuss it. Then again, it's easy to make an account and lie about your age, so I'm sure I have already answered a sexual post for someone that young or younger.

• No, it doesn't, but it does immediately invalidate that question in terms of whether or not I'd provide an answer. I remember being 13 very differently -- being 11 for that matter. I remember being constantly erect, constantly thinking about sex, and what not. And the thing is, I had no outlet or way to get my questions answered. I remember being being 11 and in sixth grade and sneaking a sex book to the top floor of the library because I was so consumed with sex that I was worried I was a sexual predator. I was so shocked when the book said that my feelings were normal, but I still didn't believe it. I mean, how can it be normal if no one talks about this (including my friends)?

But I also remember understanding that it was hormonal because you'd see a random girl at school and think "God damn, Julie's thighs are so hot!" but the next day, I wouldn't think twice about her. Given that it was so uneven, I knew that the feelings were driven by biological forces.

I know it's a tl;dr response, but I'm glad that 13 year olds have an outlet for their questions so that they won't have to wonder what's wrong with them. Come to think of it... maybe I shouldn't avoid their questions...

i guess i can see your point about the outlet part. so it is good that they have a way to get their questions answered. the part that i find disturbing is when they are 13, or so, and they're talking about who they've slept with or having a f*ck buddy.

You know, I admit, I did nothing like that as a child and knew of no one who had sex at 13... HOWEVER... I realized some things as I traveled for work in my post-college days. In New York City, if a 14 year old gets pregnant, it makes the news! I mean, 14 years old, right? Well, you go to rural towns and it happens all the time and no one writes about it because it's so normal, but in self-centered big cities this is big news! This girl I dated post-college lost her virginity at 12. She of course lived in a small town in Eastern Tennessee. You and I just had different upbringings...

yeah, i get it.

• Definitely the internet has sexualised the modern world for kids.

• Kind of, but not really. My daughter immunized me against the shock of a lot of this kind of stuff when she was going through puberty and dating.

• totally not. if the internet had been around when i was that age, i would have been up in there asking this shit too !

• Actually that is the age range one would expect to be asking for relationship advice on here.

• I really wasn't all that interested in sex when I was 13... and that was only 6 years ago.

• Yeah it surprises me and makes me feel sad for the world. Kids are too eager to engage in adult behavior but not actually become an adult (hence all these 20 something year olds living at home).

• Age bothers me less than how senseless many people seem to be.
    The risks that they take just to have fun. It's astounding to me.

I've been interested in girls since I was 6 or 7 years old.
    But thanks to having decent sense, that never got me into trouble.

• I had 1-2 freshman that were pregnant when I was in HS, my senior year. I graduated in 2011, and now all i can say is that its a different generation. At least they're asking for advice and not going out and getting themselves preggers...

• When i was 13 there were no site likes this amd sex was more taboo.

• Not in the slightest.

• it does a bit, more the point you have to consider whether it is right to reply or not

• no, since it's normal. don't project your prudish onto others.

• The average age of first sex has gone up, not down, in North America in the last 20 years or so.

While I wasn't having sex at 16 its far from uncommon.

What Girls Said 10

• Its the same. And I started puberty early, non of that crossed my mind, nor was it my focus. But its normal even before 10, this was why marriageable age was at 13 at one point in history. Then 16 and now legally 18, but 16 with parental consent. Thankfully I didn't have friends who saw the need for that, and were only thinking about our futures. But its not a shock. The moment I entered Kindergarden, they were talking about sex back then too.

• Yes all the time, when I was around that age the only thing that was on my mind was buying more dolls for my collection and things like that.

• When I was 13 i think i wanted a boyfriend but had no idea how to go about doing it and thought all boys weren't good enough to be my boyfriend. And I didn't think about sex. I knew what it was but thought it was disgusting. And I remember this kid who had a crush on me brought condoms to school once... and I didn't know what he was talking about

• Nope.
    When I was 13 I was interested in the opposite sex so.. Doesn't surprise me.
    But people didn't start getting into sexy stuff until they were 14/15 if that makes any difference.

• I'm not shocked. The media throws so much nudity and sexual stuff for everyone to see, minors included. I'm not surprised

• At an age of 13, in the world, there are children
    * who holds guns,
    * who married with an old man
    * who takes drugs and smokes weeds
    * who suicides
    So, nothing gives me a shock but sadness

• It doesn't shock me at all.

• Teenage years is when sexual feelings begin to develop, so I don't see the problem.

• Nope my friends we're having sex at 13 I was doing other things

Wow, I'm 20 years old no and I haven't done any of these things.

Nothing to worry about. That stuff just happens.

Ok... I guess...

• I'm only 15 and it still surprises me, even though sometimes I'm the one asking those questions. In this day and age, people are able to get a lot of exposure to nudity and pornography. It is very easy to find something that "only adults should see." When I was 8, I watched porn for the first time, because I had access to a computer when nobody else was around. If you're a bored teenager and you own a private laptop/computer, it is very likely that you'll find yourself wandering into chat rooms full of grown men. I did. I regret it, but I still enjoyed doing it, and I've learned a lot of things that nobody my age should know.

If the thoughts of a 13 year old asking sexual questions surprises you, think back to the time period when it was normal for people to get married during puberty. Since the life expectancy was so short, developing teenagers were forced to marry adults and give birth soon after. It was normal, then, for children to be sexually active. Perhaps we're slowly going back to our old ways of life.

ok. i think the issue i have is the ones talking about having a f*ck buddy. i can understand the interest in sex. however, that doesn't mean they should actually be having it.

People are curious as teenagers. They want to experience the things they see online.

i understand. it's just when i was growing up, you would actually get your @ss whooped for stuff like that.