Do you think there should be a restriction on hate speech here?

I notice that between the trolls and the ideologie extremists that there is a lot of insulting venemous speach towards innocent questions... Problem is this speech doesn't rely on logic it's just angry rhetoric. Everyone's blown up before but some people are far too consistent

Most Helpful Girl

• There is a restriction on hate speech, the issue is just that the community rules in general aren't exactly fully enforced, probably just due to the sheer number of posts and the administration's inability to review them all. From the GaG faq: "GirlsAskGuys reserves the right to edit content to ensure quality and to remove content that is inappropriate or abusive. We will remove content that breaks the law, is indecent or obscene, which defames anyone based on race, religion, disability, etc, or which is otherwise viewed as offensive by contemporary community standards."

Most Helpful Guy

• But who decides? Maybe I am a passionate supporter of the First Amendment, and I find your question, 'offensive' questioning my right to say what I think! (Just an example, ok? Not attacking you, personally, but offering a contrary position, to your question.)
    I've had a lot of ignorant haters just trashing on me for saying something, or for correcting their ideas about things that just don't make sense. But they have the right to assert their stupid, unfounded moronic opinion!! And I should have the right to tell them, in a dignified way, that they are idiots!
    If you don't like what they post, don't answer, or block them. If it is overtly racist, and abusive, report it, and the moderators usually delete it rather quickly!
    Just think about what you are asking, though: As soon as you restrict speech, and the Freedom of Expression, you limit yourself, as well!!
    I ABSOLUTELY HATE what some say, but they have that RIGHT, in the US, and I think they should have that, on the internet, as well!! If you don't like it, don't answer or read it. If this site is too offensive to you, find another. There are MILLIONS out there!!
    Nobody, an individual, or even special-interest groups, should have the right to say that someone cannot say what they think, when nobody is forcing you to listen!!
    Make the choice for yourself, and leave our Freedoms alone.

For a "passionate supporter of the First Amendment" you sure don't know much about it. You are aware that the first amendment and the constitution as a whole do not matter one bit in this conversation? In fact it's within the website's freedoms to implement whatever policies on hate speech or any speech for that matter they damn well please.

Well, they're not for me. The issue is that I need to know what facts I can use to argue with. If you're complaining about laws, are you complaining that you don't like the policies or that they're unconstitutional. Because they are two entirely separate issues.

It's different from the first because the second amendment is a far less strongly protected freedom than the first amendment is. And yes, there can be more and less protected freedoms, the supreme court has actually pretty firmly established that. And honestly just the fact that the second amendment was only incorporated to the states in 2010, versus the first in 1925 (well, freedom of speech in any case. The other parts followed with in the 30s and 40s, with one part left until 1963.). And just generally, the first amendment and freedom of speech in particular have many times been held to be exceptionally special and important freedoms.

Also if you want I can provide a more judicial perspective type of analysis, but be warned that that would be a lot longer.

What Girls Said 6

• No I'm all for free speech. The problem with limiting speech based on hate is it's so personal what people consider hate speech.
    And you can say almost anythingvand someone will have a problem with it.
    I say be honest and people will see you for who you really are.

• I've had several of my opinions removed (curiously, only by women men I think don't care what someone says ) for telling it like it is, and yet the person who has petitioned to have my posts removed has openly sworn at me calling me a plethora of groundbreaking slurs. It exists for the purpose of those who are emotionally weak. If you have no further interest in reading what someone says don't. it's simple. Sadly people feel the need to assure the internet carries them around in a basket.

• I don't see how they would be able to filter that. Even if the created a button to let people pick if they want to see cuse words or not.

It's not even about swearing though. I don't mind swears (read half my answers) and I don't mind derogatory stuff. But people do it with no logic. Like if you tell someone to kill themselves your comment can get removed. But if you give a bs rant to imflame people it's fine

Then you really can't restrict that because of the fact that a lot of words would be marked out as bad.

In this case you have to be the better person, try to block, or ignore them.

Guess your right.

• nah, let me at em' i'll give it to their asses. if they want free speech, here it is. some people need a lesson when they abuse that right, and censoring them is not the way, but silencing them with wisdom, and everything else they lack.

See you can't win because they can't use logic

@cipher42 hopefully, sometimes you never know haha. nice talking with you :)

Yeah true. And same to you ^_^

• Yes I do. Some people are pretty nasty and there's no call for it sometimes. I agree, angry rhetoric. If they have a point that's one thing but mostly it seems like misdirected anger.

• No, free-speech only works if there are no waivers. This isn't kindergarten where "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all". Not that I agree with hateful rhetoric but you can't cherry-pick what people say.

What Guys Said 9

• Website owners have to develop guidelines that both protect their members from abuse, but also aren't so strict as to seem like they're the thought/police or censoring unpopular opinions. It's not easy to do (I run an online community of about 23k people). If your rules aren't strict enough, people complain about all the abuse on the site. If they're too strict, people accuse you of not valuing free speech... if it's nearly perfect, you still get people on both sides complaining because they'd like it to be more extreme on one side or the other.

• I agree with freedom of speech but would love to stop offensive stuff - Total dilemma for me, who decides what is offensive.

• So long as it isn't direct insulting, no speech should be restricted. If you have a problem with what someone says, then simply don't read it. Offense is absolutely always taken, never given.

It is directly insulting though

I'm just explaining why I'm still talking when you tell me you've explained yourself. What is your native language then? Since this is essentially all about understanding different words and whatnot.

@cipher42 it says on my profile.

• No, but there should be on harassment. I'm for free speech, but you shouldn't be allowed to continuously harass an individual.

• No. No limits. Don't like? Don't read.

You do realize there are in fact limits? Gag does have rules in place governing what you can and can't say on the site, they just don't enforce them super strictly.

@cipher42

Yes, thanks for missing the point. I was responding to the OP with the tender, easily hurt butt, in a way that I hoped would trigger 'him'.

Oh okay so you were just being an asshole. Understood.

• You could always just ignore it.

• I like the site rules as they are

• If leftists did it, the restriction would be there asap. But as long as conservatives do it, 1st Amendment rules.

• There are. However where the line is drawn is up to the moderats etc. And their views might differ from yours.