What's with all the ad hominem and logical fallacies?

It's almost like a few gaggers took the same English class recently and can't resist using these phrases.

I keep seeing it, "You're using ad hominem and logical fallacies to blah blah blah." It's hilarious. Every time I see it, it's like someone's attempt to sound smarter or better than whoever they're arguing with. It's even funnier when what they're saying doesn't even apply.

I've never seen people on here talk like that until recently, but when I do it's like they all have the same go to sentence when they want to appear superior. Is anyone else amused by this or is it just me? Thoughts?

What Guys Said 9

• I suspect that it is just one or two guys doing most of those posts. Ever time I see it, it is an anonymous guy trying to sound important.

• Arguments and topics do seem to follow trends here. It's like one kid hears a bad word and now all the other kids want to say it all the time, too.

Those terms are best reserved for more intelligent discourse, which shouldn't be what you come here expecting.

• I totally agree with that "You are using the strawman argument" etc - These phrases strike me as things used by people who like to hear the sound of their own voices.

• Some times I do say that because its true. After arguing for awhile and they keep repeating the same logical fallacy I do point out that it is illogical, that its not a rational argument so please stick to a logical argument. I find I get frustrated with people who argue poorly more then anything else, I don't mind difference of opinion but at least be logical. Though I have seen people use these inaccurately, I don't think that its funny so much as sad.

• I haven't noticed this yet, but it doesn't surprise me. And yes--you are absolutely right to find it hilarious!

• An ad hominem attack is attacking the person and no the argument. I dont think its weird to point this out? If a debate is being derailed it needs to get back on track.

• 26d

Usually when they say this it's within their attempts to attack the other person not the other way around.

• 26d

I know what an ad hominem is, often times they say this when a personal attack didn't even happen or even when they themselves has personally attacked the other person.

• 26d

Never seen it.

• Welcome to the internet

• 26d

Usually, they're the losers who're soft and can't take an insult or make a point while simultaneously getting made fun of so they resort to that instead of dishing out some blows. But then other times, some people do just insult without making a point... but it's not like they don't deserve it some of the time... there are a bunch of people with stupid opinions that I wouldn't say deserve a logical response

And I've seen it on here for a while cause it usually happens to me. Fearless banana didn't like how condescending I was (while he was the same person who made a takes and questions literally making fun of others)

• Bruh I don't even know what that stuff means

• Ad hominem comes from Latin meaning "to/towards the man" basically instead of attacking the argument you just insult them personally. Like, "You are so stupid/retarded/moronic etc." As I have noticed there is a ton of that on GAG especially since the election is drawing so close. That is why you see a lot of "ad hominem" because everyone is freaking insulting each other! If they use it any other way though, they are misusing it.

What Girls Said 1