Should G@G have a new category for "approaching"?

Approaching someone to ask them out is not the same as dating. Dating is the next phase that comes after that but many people can't or struggle to even reach that phase.

Do you think it should be a separate category?

• Yes, it should.
  • No, it should not.

Most Helpful Guy

• Plus, not everyone believes in standard dating, but we all need to overcome the psychological obstacles to starting an informal conversation/ asking out for a quick coffee kind of encounter, even if we aren't into 'dating.'

• 15d

People who think it's unnecessary think that we are all still into standard dating. Ugh. I pay for everything and she plays the field? I gave up on that when I was 17.

Approaching is a separate category when you don't go in for standard dating! I'd say more than half the US population has opted out of standard dating now.

It could be lumped into flirting, since that's what is mainly happening now. But I have often approached girls without any real intention of starting any relationship; I'm not flirting, I'm looking for a friend.

This was often true even in my single days, it's not just because I'm married. Friendship is more important in the long run than getting something on...

So , thanks for the MHO, and to those who like the idea. I hope the Gag admins will consider it. Personally, I think there shouldn't be separate behavior categories. THOSE should be folded into flirting, imao.

• 15d

Well said.

What Girls Said 11

• No, it is still in the Category of Flirting. xx

• 23d

You can't flirt unless you approach the person.

• 23d

Yes, true, and by the way, cool pix for you, but still, Gag would Put it in this category of flirting.. But I like your New idea. xxoo

• 23d

Thank you for the Like, and maybe honey will see this and comply. xx

• While I do not think this should be a separate category, I do think it is a very common topic.

I think categories should be very general and not specific, even if a topic is very common.

And while it may not fit the current categories accurately, the current categories should be sufficient for them decide where they should post their question.

• Yeah. There should be this topic😎

• it s just a sub group of dating
    doesn t make any sense of making a topic just for that honestly.

• I don't feel like it needs a whole category

• Why not, good idea!

• I think that falls under flirting...

• No, that is unnecessary.

• nope

• I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea.

• that is a good one actually

What Guys Said 8

• 1|1
    • 24d

You flirt after you have approached so not exactly.

• 22d

Sexual health and behaviour could kind of be molded together too but they're separate. Any confusion from this will be only temporary.

• 22d

Not exactly. But girls' behaviour and guys' behaviour could have been names as just behaviours. Etc.

• I think it can be covered in the "Dating" or "Flirting" topics - I find most topics on GaG are wide ranging and anyone interested in that type of question would pay attention to that group of topics - Anyway too narrow a topic could lead to a samey feel about questions, see the "How Do I Look" topic and the way some people perceive it,

• 24d

Well I don't have a problem with the HDIL topic since I have blocked it. Even if I come across it I only troll lol
      The same could be applied here - wouldn't hurt to have it. But if you didn't like it, you could just not follow it.

• Yeah, I have that issue really bad. Sometime I ask questions with shitty answers, or not many answers

• like @Nuala said i think approaching can fall under the flirting category

• 24d

• 23d

the approach is part of the flirtation. i mean what would the guidance on literally approaching someone be? "walk up to them" right? so i think if he is asking how do you approach the real question is how do yo walk up to them and begin talking. i would call that flirting or fall under the branch of flirting

• The question is: what would be asked in there that could not be asked in flirting or dating? I'm afraid it could be a rather empty category :o

• 24d

You could ask what how to approach in order to actually start flirting or dating.

• 23d

Yeah I see... I'm not certain if it would be a popular category though.
      Maybe a category "trolling" which would burst with posts hahaha :o

• No.

That's such a waste of time.

Approaching isn't something to discuss or talk about. You just go and do it. If you even pause to think about it, then you're taking too long.

• 24d

For many it is a worthwhile topic. Me included.

• 24d

But do you want all that extra competition?

• 24d

That is of little issue. What matters is helping a bro/sis out.

• It might be useful

• Yes :D