What Are Your Thoughts On The Editor Changing The Title Of Someones MyTake?

I don't usually mind it but one time it bothered me other than that I'm cool with it

21d @madhatters4 @WhiteSteve @OlderandWiser @Dipsy @Likes2drive @abc3643 @lightbulb27 @HorrorFan @Zorax @cosytoasty @NexAngelus @tenchu11 @HaveNoName @Empatheticlady @datgirl @nala_rawr @Paris13
19d When the editor changes the title he usually means well

What Girls Said 4

• I hate that because usually they misunderstood my point. So my title ends up being something I don't really agree with and is not the point I was trying to make. It doesn't help that some people just judge the my take based on the title and don't read it. And then I end having to defend my own my take because someone changed the title.

• 21d

It only got me mad one time he did it but one time I made a mistake on my MyTake title he fixed it so I appreciate him doing that because it was a dumb mistake

• 21d

I can't even remember a time when I altered any of your titles.

• 21d

In point of fact, I rarely see the need to alter any of your Takes. I like them. :)

• Well, it's not MY take anymore. I posted the way I did for a reason, to achieve a certain affect.

• 21d

Well he doesn't do it for every MyTake

• 21d

I don't recall looking at any of your myTakes and if I did edit them, I sent you a message explaining any additions or changes. Your Take history doesn't seem to show many recent Takes...

• 21d

That last one was posted as anon within the last 2 months.

• Not a fan of my Takes being changed.

• I like it

What Guys Said 10

• myTakes are only edited for grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. No thoughts are ever changed.

Most people add pictures and media these days so I don't really have to do that too much anymore but if I do, the writer gets a message asking if the new additions are okay. Editors should be aware of the process by now, so they won't always get a PM.

As for titles, they're absolutely critical and the majority of headlines just don't cut it. Nobody will click on them as they are and as we want your Takes to be READ, it's important to have a decent title. Even so, most titles sport only minor changes, like adding the number of "reasons" or whatever, or just reworking awkward wording. If there's a significant change, again, the author gets a message explaining the change and asks if they want to change it.

This has been the case for most of 2016 and the process hasn't really changed. Seems to work well. :)

• 21d

I like when you changed the title of my Shows of the 1990s list because I made a mistake with the title so I'm thankful you changed it (:

• 21d

No problem! And let's not forget that English isn't everyone's first language around here, and they sometimes need a little help. They have good ideas that I think people should read, but when we can't publish them as they are (too many grammar issues, a confusing or inaccurate title, etc.), we polish them up so they can get some exposure.

Same goes for young writers, especially those still in school. They all tend to be very protective of their work - as all young writers are who haven't yet learned humility :P - but it still isn't quite up to snuff, so we just refine it a little so they can get their message out there. Many blossoming writers, especially those who want to work in the digital content field one day, have found it very helpful.

• The admin who does that has journalism experience and is simply trying to enhance the title to draw in more readers and get greater exposure for your myTake. However, I also believe that you can contact this Admin and he is receptive to listening to your concerns and perhaps returning the title to its original wording.

It is intended to be helpful so approach the topic with that understanding.

• 21d

I actually talked to him he's a cool dude he told me why he does that he contacted me about a month ago

• 21d

Yes, please approach me with any concerns or questions. Don't turn a private issue into a public one; come to me first and I'm sure we can resolve any issues related with your myTakes. :)

• I didn't know this site did that. If I ever write a take, I would not want ANYTHING changed for any reason without my permission. If they change it without my permission, then it is no longer mine and I don't want my name attached to it.

I also don't like the idea of forcing people to use an image. If I want an image I'll use one.

This site tends to take way too many liberties sometimes.

• I absolutely hate it. I don't even rite myTakes here, but still it destroys creative freedom.

• 21d

It only bothered me once but actually one time it came in handy when he changed it because I made a mistake with the title so I'm happy he changed it

• 21d

Correcting mistakes with spelling or grammar is fine, but changing the title? That's ridiculous.

• 21d

He only changes it a tiny bit usually not too much change

• they didn't change my title but they added photos to mine which i found annoying.

• It would be better if fathoms asked before actually doing it. Especially since half the time, he doesn't even read the tales anyways and the title ends up misleading people

• 19d

Just to clarify, I don't mind it getting changed but Id like to sign off on it. I like to be somewhat creative with the titles and sometimes they end up just sounding bland

• I didn't know they could even do that and have yet to even write a might take , I could see them fixing the grammar or spelling I guess that would be OK

• I really dont like it. I feel like it destroys creativity and what we worked hard to write about.

• Usually it doesn't but the two I posted yesterday It did

• I consider the very idea of "My Takes" useless the way GAG wants it to be. I never do a GAG My Take.

• 21d

Why would you consider it useless it shows ones opinion on something

• 21d

Well, it should be an option. Not mandatory. I get the feeling that GAG my takes need to be really flashy and almost like an article from a magazine. I rarher twist a Mytake into a queation and post it as a question.

• 21d

Actually if you want I think you can just use a video I think but I personally just use pictures because I don't know how to do links to videos (: