Do you feel like down votes are sort of weak?

So despite all my sarcasm... I have some pretty bold opinions in general, and I always articulate reasons as to why I think the way I do. Example being, I'll respond in opposition to someones take and get a lot of up votes as well as down votes. It's a very rare occurrence that someone will actually post an opinion below trying to articulate reasons as to why they disagree. I'll almost never down vote but rather type out why they are wrong or right in my opinion. Healthy debate is what keeps things interesting. Why is that GAG is so afraid to state their opinion?

• I think down votes are weak
  • I disagree, sometimes I'm just too lazy to respond to people
  • I'm neutral..
  • Other.. will respond

What Girls Said 10

• Unlike you, I hate it when people contradict me and incite an unnecessary time wasting argument. I'd rather have them downvote my opinion (to which I am entitled to, I am entitled to saying anything I want and everyone is entitled to either agree or disagree, like it, or dislike it), and then move on. I mostly just want to leave a comment, express myself, and not have to defend my opinion cause that would be a waste of time, especially on controversial topics, and would just be an annoyance for me. Because you know, not everyone has a sound mind. Too many childish people who don't know how to have an argument with a cool head. So I'd rather have those people downvote me, and then silently move on and never bother me.

• Nope.

They build character.

• Not every opinion is worth defending. People get down voted all the time for the silliest things. Like what they're favorite color is. You really have to pick and choose your battles around here.

As for me, there's really one issue I'm passionate about that I have decent knowledge compared to most people. So if anyone disagrees with my opinion on that, then I'll respond. It really depends on the OP too.

If I know OP is deadset in their thinking on the topic, I'll post no more than 1 or 2 responses. Not so much for them, but for the other people. If I feel OP is more malleable, it could go longer. But not too long as I'm not fond of messaging.

• I think it's funny. You really can't get more pathetic than that

• i like downvotes
    the more hate i receive the more i get convinced how awesome i am

• Don't feel like it. Not everyone is up to a debate every single time.
    I don't explain to people why I up vote so why do I have to just because I down voted.
    People get so touchy when it comes to downvoting.

• 8d

It's not that it's touchy... it's just frustrating that literally no one will try to express anything for the reasoning as to why with me. I mean, there is a reason as to why you can reply on opinions. If it were just a matter of up or down votes, then they wouldn't give us the option to reply. An online forum gives you the option to talk about a variety of subjects.. that's the purpose, but the quality of GAG questions/opinions is pretty low. Just one neutral sentenced response. I think it's a result of GAG hiding and deleting opinions for ridiculous reasons as well. Social justice warriors.. I swear.

I understand that a lot people might not have the time for a full fledged debate, but when it comes to an abundance of 10+ up or down votes the probability that they are all just too busy or lazy is low. I think a lot of people are too afraid to speak their true opinions. Hence why people on here abuse the fuck out of the anonymous feature.

• 7d

No, we're going to eat then head down to the cadaver lab today. There's about 4 of us and it's rude to text, so I'll call you later on today when I'm done :)

• 7d

Ohhkaaayy.
      I have no idea what I'm doing on my phone or how the hell that even happened.
      GAG doesn't give the option to delete your own comments apparently so just ignore that.

• I don t give a damn about downvotes lol
    but usually arguments on gag are a complete waste of time

• Downvotes are great. They are the fuel to my fire.

• I'm fine with downvotes if they comment too.. I just hate when people downvote and dont explain what they disagree with.

• I hate when people downvotes but don't explain why

What Guys Said 16

• I think its mostly laziness and the realization that debates with the people on here rarely result in anything meaningful. Generally they turn into long exchanges filled with condescending /petty insults and end with one side either blocking the other or just giving up on responding.

I don't think many people get through a debate on here and think "gee, that was totally worth the time I spent arguing with that person. I really benefited from that exchange"

Nope...

Doenvoting is an easy way to express disagreement without having to waste your time or energy on someone who isn't worth it.

• 8d

Most people can shoot right past the petty insults if they carry any solidity in their stance. If someone starts throwing jabs at me I usually respond with raw logic, ignoring their attempts to divert. I've had a lot of healthy debates on here. Sometimes I'll even oppose someone just to get a reaction in attempt to see if I can learn anything new.

• 8d

@Other_Tommy_Wiseau Yeah I hate the way you argue but to each their own lmao. I respect the fact that you don't take it anything past that opinion or question though. You don't get butthurt.

• 8d

@chico_brah I figure people are grown up enough to not cry over an insult. If so, god forbid y'all hang out with me and my friends cause I don't think we can go 15 seconds without calling each other anything less than having grade 2 Down's syndrome. Part of the fun is seeing if people can come up with creative insults back at me, tbh. Usually they're supposed to be more funny (for me) than anything else, although I do mean some of the insults in a few cases, and I'll let the person know. But as cam says at :25
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXe-XerqRI

But yeah, I figure 1 opinion doesn't make a person. Plus the conversation is over. Dragging shit out over multiple posts and holding grudges are for 15 year old angsty teenage girls... I got 4 sisters. I know all about dat life and ain't about it, bruh

• Because a lot of people are on this site to just up and downvote stuff. As in they just enjoy the content that everyone else comes up with, they may ask a question here or there or post an opinion but I think there are a lot of people who just want to make their statement I agree for an upvote, I totally disagree for a down vote and maybe someone else already wrote the reasons, maybe they just don't want to get into a pissing match with someone. But I think there are good reasons for it. I rarely use it though.

• Downvotes are no deterrent for me honestly. Take for example Reddit, you get downvoated and your opinions simply gets hidden, that is a bit of a deterrent, but in G@G a downvote means jack shit.

And yes people are afraid of state an opinion, let alone an opinion that opposes the general concensus of the community.

An example of this is Donald Trump, he has strong, very strong opinions on different topics, and he states his opinions and is apologetic about it, he doesn't care if you get offended, that's who he is and he is not gonna sugar coat his opinions for anybody.

• I like it. Partially because I'm lazy and partly because, without them, it puts people into a false reality where they think that because they got 20 upvotes, everyone thinks they're right. When, in reality, they would've gotten 900 downvotes. But the individual will assume that they got 20 upvotes that everyone agrees except for the 1 or 2 people that took the time to answer

• Because people are pussies who would rather hide behind down votes and keep their irrational reasoning... maybe?

• 8d

My thoughts exactly, literally no one tries to oppose me. All I get is a series of downvotes.

• It would be nice to get an explanation on all things in life. Down vote, rejection, passed up on promotion, etc. But that is rarely the case. Part of life is learning to accept something without any reason given.

• No, I couldn't careless if people downvote me. I rather downvote the stupidity on here than waste my time arguing with a bunch of stupid people on the internet.

• I prefer getting downvotes to upvotes

• i dont really think they are weak but it would be cool if the person who down votes can explain why he or she did so. its not really a big deal though

• Lol in bulk downvotes have a lot of effect

• Well if you oppose some people even in a respectful and rational way they sometimes block you mid argument right after responding to what you said and make you look like a fool.

• Sometimes people can't handle the shit

• If it's an opinion that everyone else agrees with, wouldn't you rather not get ganged up on?

• 8d

Besides, you always mention arguing with logic. People don't care about logic. It's about your prestige. You only think that logic is working for you. It's not the logic, people here just respect you. I'm sure you would have the same results if you were arguing using emotion.

• Things only have as much power as you give them. I never really pay any attention to them.

• I have a question. Do you eat deli meats?

• I have no idea. but there's also so many "keyboard warriors" 😂