Should G@G warn you when you're blocked by an asker before you write your opinions?

I just spent some time researching and writing an opinion on a question, only to find the user (who I've never interacted with, afaik) has blocked me.

I don't understand blocking people who aren't being directly and personally offensive to you.

910

Most Helpful Guy

• YES FUCKING ABSOLUTELY

I'm tired of seeing content from people that have blocked me. I once was on a myTake and decided to write a long and drawn out and thought out answer but no, fuck you, I was blocked. Wasted 10 minutes of my life for nothing at all.

Though I don't know if G@G should make a warning when they could just simply not show the content at all. Make sure it doesn't come on our feed at all.

• I don't mind seeing their content, at least then I could start counter-argument questions. I guess they wouldn't see them because they blocked me? Blocking seems a silly response to losing an argument.

• Obviously, it's fine for blocking creeps and stalkers.

• Thanks for mho

What Girls Said 9

• Yeah, this has been mentioned many times before. I think it would be helpful as users have typed a long, though-out response only to find out their work was for nothing since they've been blocked.

• I was stalked by a troll on yahoo answers and on several other online websites so when I see a post that might be written by him - like if it describes me and is anonymous - I will block the user.

• Still waiting for Gag to Install "Delete and Edit" Buttons. Why would they Bother to do me this favor Here, dear? xx

• I wouldn't mind those two buttons but only as long as they only last until someone starts replying to the opinion. Otherwise you're likely to find people pretending they never said something they did, so the people disagreeing with them look dumb.

• lol I don't know, Facebook has them and Still Very Popular. xx

• yes i agree.. we should be warned

• Omg yes you have no idea how long I've been saying this and how many times it's happened to me -__-

Oh and just wait to comment under someones opinion also just to find out that you're blocked 😒

• when someone blocks you, they're blocked back, meaning you shouldn't even see they're questions and opinions on the feed or homepage

in that case, it's better if we didn't see they're content at all
    but GaG slips up sometimes
    so yeah, a warning would be nice

• But I want to see other people's opinions, what's the point of a forum where you only talk to people who agree with you?

• yeah, the blocking system was intended at stopping harassment, but some users use it a different way. so would you prefer one-way blocking, where if someone blocks you, they can't see your content but you can see theirs?

• I'd rather have it as a reporting tool, with a person looking to see if it is really harassment or just a legitimate disagreement. Warn the harasser a couple of times, then ban them if they persist. I don't think the site has so many members that it would be unmanageable.

• That's the only time i can see the down vote functiion as useful. 🙋

• But if you are blocked you can't give them a thumbs up or down.

• Ahhh. I see your point now. :-)

• That's only available to opinions, though, isn't it, not questions?

• no need it

• I guess if they're 3 word answers, then I wouldn't either, but I put time and effort into some of my opinions.

• ohh yeah u r right about it

• Yes it sure would be a nice feature.
    Are Listening here @girlsaskguys

What Guys Said 9

• Yeah, I think it should hide those takes/questions/opinions completely. At the very least, put their name in a different color or something. Umm... not like anyone would block me. I mean, I'm intelligent, attractive, fit, funny, and I write witty responses to "how do I look?" posts. Who would block me, right?

• If they hid the takes/questions/opinions completely, it would split at least the political areas of the site into two echo chambers with nobody seeing the questions of the other side.

• I don't think a warning is necessary. If someone blocks us, then GAG should make it hidden from us so we don't have to constantly see their username/content everywhere...

• It would be nice to not see their questions or opinions to avoid this from happening. I typed out one of the longest responses I've done to only find out I had been blocked. I'd like to avoid this in the future as well.

• Would be nice.. but one way you can tell is by trying to like/dislike their question or opinions, that always tells you if you are blocked or not before you start writing anything

• That's a helpful tip, but I had no reason to believe I might have been blocked.

• well maybe just make it a point to like/dislike every question you think about answering

• Yeah it makes sense to remove the textbox completely for questions you're not able to answer.

• No.

We shouldn't see their activities and their questions at all if we are blocked.

Still if someone @ mentions you, there really ought to be a warning if the author has blocked you.

• I tend to agree. if someone has blocked you, then I think it is silly to even offer the option of putting in an opinion.

• Yeah. The same thing has happened to me.

• I agree with you. There should be some warning coming up to let you know.