Does GaG change quality of the photo after uploading it?

I uploaded a profile pic and It kinda became worse quality than It was before.

Most Helpful Guy

• yes they do.

just compare you pic with the original one you uploaded:

for mine avatar:
    original: 1000x1346 (627kB)
    I saved it as JPG with the compression set to 90

GAG: 446x600 (46kB)
    so the resolution got removed by 80%

now if I save my original pic at the same resolution with the compression still set to 90, the file size will be 132kB. So you can see that the compression is much higher too, which means that it loses detail (less sharp, artifacts, etc).

To get the picture to 46kB, I would have to set the compression level to 45-50, so much higher. At that level there is definitely a visible quality loss

What Guys Said 5

• Most likely, like any other site will do. Gag stores photo's in JPG so if you uploaded anything but a jpg it will be converted for you. Jpg's are not lossless and i doubt the site picked the best settings. So another thing they will do is decrease the quality for faster load times but often not by something to noticable. The third thing they will do as all sites do is shrink your photo to the maximum allowed size to make sure it doesn't take to much bandwith or diskspace.

• Waiting for someone to offer dick pics here...

• That has to do with resolution

• I guess :P

• no it doesn't

What Girls Said 1

• Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do