Would it be advisable to limit Xper points to something reasonable? Say no more than 25 answers a day?

That would stop all the point grubbing people from clogging up our questions with anonymous three word 'answers.' There are often so many of those that it's a pain to scroll down through them all to get real answers!

I think more than 25 answers a day is really just trolling. The person at times isn't even reading the question! Some people have admitted, anonymously of course, that they do exactly that.. answer dozens of questions without even reading them, with 'Yes, I agree" or some such formula.

Sadly, I see those kinds of anonymous answers (?) even getting MHO, since a lot of people really want validation, not any actual advice.

Alternatively, we could just set a ceiling on how many Xper points you can earn daily. Point trolls would wither and die pretty quickly if they couldn't grub for points with anonymous three word answers.
And not only have they been forced to raise the points for a card several times, but they've introduced new rules such as you can only redeem two cards a month. This is because of the point trolls like Mr. Anon 36-45 below and there are quite a few like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think there shouldn't be anon TBH.

• Yes, or at least THAT should be held to a reasonable daily limit, but don't hold your breath for that, I've been saying it for years. I think they're scared they'd lose all the 13-14 year olds...

• Yeah I agree with you. Getting rid of anon would get rid of the trolls too so I wish they would but I know they won't. You're still somewhat anonymous under your username if you choose to be. I agree capping anon replies but I don't agree with capping replies in general. I sometimes answer a lot of questions a day but that doesn't mean I don't think carefully on my answers.

• Thank you for MHO :)

Sponsored

What Girls Said 19

• Not necessarily because not everyone that answers a bunch of questions is just searching for Xper. I know I answer a bunch of things on certain days, and I answer how I see fit, not just because I want the points.

• Exactly. I know I'll hit Guru some day. But I don't want to be restricted arbitrarily from answering and getting credit, just because someone else is a milker.

• @ObscuredBeyond When you use rhetoric about the masses when you really are just arguing for the few trolls, you are inviting the comparison to Trump.

• I don't care about the trolls. I am arguing for any who'd be mistaken for them, and cheated out of their Xper. If you design a mouse trap that has legs, and will catch a hamster just as it would a mouse, someone will be mourning their hamster.

• No, I don't think so. I don't think it would stop them from posting short answers. Plus it's fairly easy to answer more than 25 questions a day, even if you spend a bit more extra time on your answer. I'm pretty sure I could do that in less than an hour if I wanted to.

• C'mon, you couldn't give more than 7 or 8 in an hour if you were honestly trying to answer the question, giving it some thought.

• And it's clear you didn't give it any thought. Maybe you'd think through your answers more if you knew there was a limit. Nor did you read the agony 36-45 guy below which shows you the problem.

• How?
      - I said that it wouldn't stop them from giving short answers.
      - It would be a silly limit because it's easy to answer more than 25 questions a day even if you give them a bit of extra thought (not talking about essay-answers though).

Ergo it would not make sense to put such a limit on answering questions, because it would also affect people who don't even spam and give thoughtful answers.

If you don't like the answers you get on here, you could leave and find another forum.

• But what if that's their legitimate opinion? That they agree? Who are you to tell them they can't succinctly agree with the OP?
    I answer because I'm bored, but I mostly (sometimes) give questions answers befitting how serious or necessary I feel the questions are. But at the same time if I'm going to be doing this, I want an end goal that's reachable, and I want a means to reach that end goal that's not gated by some whimsical amount. If you have a problem with troll answers, maybe try sorting the answers by MHO% or XPer level or whatever filter works better.

• Or maybe offer better MHO incentives in terms of... your month to month percentage bracket affecting how many Xper points you get for each answer. It would make point trolls fight harder to give better answers. Have a cap on how many 1-5 word answers can be made a day... that way it won't affect those who get a surge of spare time and enjoy offering real and thought out answers.

• They just don't allow 1 and 2 word answers already, in response to the trolls. Not allowing point after 25 or 30 answers in a day would help discourage them.

• Given that 1 xper point is 15/10000 of one penny i find it hard to believe this is a real motivation to inspire more posts.

Even if you posted 25 answers in a day you wouldn't get a penny for your efforts.

So, nahhh, who cares?

• Check Mr. Anonymous ( I accidentally allowed anonymous answers,$%$) 36-45 for why it matters. I think you math is a little off, though I agree I can't understand why people grub for those cards. They can't be making more than $1 an hour...

• It raises the point totals for rewards for all the people making LEGITIMATE answers, like you!

Maybe that doesn't bother you, and in the overall scheme of things, it's not a critical issues.

But within the confines of this site, it IS an issue for most people.

• I honestly doubt I'll ever claim a reward here, it's really not worth the effort

• I don't think it should be limited. I get bored and just like to post on some days. I always give reasonable answers. I don't think anons should get Xper. And I personally don't care for the points to get Amazon cards or whatever. It's too much work to post for 25 bucks or however much it is. I can just go on Amazon and buy what I want.

• There are always a dozen or so point trolls, posting nearly always anonymously... I agree, not giving anons points, say beyond 5 anonymous answers a day, would also solve the problem.
      How often do you answer moe that 25 questions in a day, though? Or, again, they could just not give POINTS after 25 answers...

• Honestly I think GAG should put a limit on the amount of anonymous posts you can put out in a 24 hour period.

• I've advocated that, but for some reason the site values their spoiled 13-4 year olds too much to put ANY limit on anonymous answers. Instead, they limit how many HONEST and worthwhile questions you can ask to 5 a day!

• I think they shouldn't allow anonymous answers and users at all, i understand if you don't want people to message you, you can still change it into receiving messages just from people you follow, anyways, i do agree with this post and i noticed the same, and it is unfair because a lot of people do really need our help and our experiences and thoughts on their situation they are facing... so i guess the minimum we can do as human beings is HELPING WITH WORDS... but hey it's just me 0.-

• I waste mine deleting stupid questions I've posted.. because it takes 6 everytime to delete a post 😩 lost all mine... but whatever.. I don't even know how someone can point whore on this HAHAHH pls explain

• Check the anonymous guy, 36-45. His answer tells it all. Too many anonymous guys is another problem here.

• Hahaha I saw... it's weird. I still don't understand

• Personally i don't care very much about this point system. I just want to give my opinion on questions that catch my eye.

• yes, i agree

• Maybe the points should only be awarded if someone likes your reply?

• It wouldn't really be fair because some people exactly do write 25 real answers or more but then they won't get more then 25 xper a day because of the trolls. And you only get xper when the asker liked your question right? So the asker shouldn't like the troll posts

• I think it's very difficult to answer more than 25 and really give thought to your answers. Maybe I'd go for 30... but not more than that, or trolls will go on trolling.

UNLESS as an alternative we just limit the total number of points you get in a day, regardless of how many questions you answer. That would also work as a solution.

• It is achievable if you answer in the morning 7. In the afternoon 10 and in the evening 7 or more but I get what you mean

• Do you realize how easy it is to answer 25 questions? Even with well thought out answers? It doesn't take very long. I've answered well over 25 questions in less than an hour many times. So I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.

• No way you are really giving any thought to your answers if you do that. Maybe you'd give better answers if you kew you faced a limit. Maybe 30 instead of 25.. but somewhere in there.
      Otherwise, we'll continue to host trolls like Mr. Anonymous, 36-45 below... see what he says.
      Or, if you really love giving three word answers, we could just say you don't get points after answering 25...

• As someone that was close to 20k and waiting to cash in on cards once I reached that when they raised the point value to 7k, I get it. It was frustrating. But I don't feel like this would help that.

• Sure it would. If the trolls couldn't get points for 100 3-word answers every day, they'd disappear, mostly. And the point value for everything would stop going up... maybe even come down!

• I don't think this is a good idea. It's pretty easy to fly threw questions when you are bored.

• Maybe it shouldn't BE so easy! You should give more thought to your answers.

• I will not argue with you about a difference in opinions. I don't care how someone else spends their time on this site.

• Did you read mr. anon 36-45? We're talking about what happens, not our opinions!

• Nah I don't agree with that... I believe you should be able to put as many replies as you want everyday.

• I think you aren't giving good answers if you're giving three word responses all the time. Look at the anonymous guy 36-45. There are unfortunately many like him. They're usually anonymous, so people don't notice them.

• It is optional to to allow people to be anonymous, I have personally notices when I don't give the
      anonymous option to people in my threads I get more detailed replies and very few three word replies. :)

• Ummm no... some of us are actually trying to help people out you know...

• Not if you're giving three word trolling answers, you aren't helping anyone.

• clogging up "our"... k, its not yours but your website needs to eliminate anonymous, change the xper system or have two divisions of your website for 20s and under and 30 and up. Hey and an additional section for everyone that hates anon, like 7xper and up- no anon allowed to post there ever, alright?
    that should make everybody happy because there's just too much hate here and none of you seem to understand why its so important to hide your identity online with personal revealing questions and pics to prove you're not a catfish, yeah no. If you hate the oldies or youngins, or anon then might as well have sections for this or not have the anonymous feature at all or maybe I don't know, not have the asks get flooded this way because a new user is sick of the ads?

P. s. this was a rant and a rushed reply for the sake of "xper"... the website is setup this way... Suggest a solution and email them.

• How do you even get xper points?

What Guys Said 14

• I don't have a huge problem with the way they do things on this site, my only complaint (and it is a small one) is on the ranking system, in the sense that I feel that earning in excess of 100,000 points to become something other than a 9 is a bit much. I mean I can appreciate that it does indicate a high level of participation for sure, but I have other things in my life that have a higher degree of importance than posting on this site (no offense intended). :-)

• I don't agree. It would hurt users who really answer questions and I don't think it'd stop people from answering 25 questions a day with 3 words.

• But that's a lot less than some trolls do all the time now. It would at least cut down on all their crap...

• See the 36-45 troll below you here. See the problem?

• I've been doing a steady 40-50 answers each work day the past week. 25 would be too little for me.

• Maybe we could make it 30 or 40. Something like that. You could always hold a few answers until the next day.

It wold encourage you to give more thought to your answers. I assume many of yours now are the three word version...

• I answer three words to trolls only, mostly. Most other answers have at least some thought in them.

• No. I love giving 3 word answers Thanks for the Xper point.

• if this site wasn't giving or making money and didn't care much for it's community then it would be...

however, it does give members money and makes it from them, and it does care about it's community, so it wouldn't be a great idea

besides, you're going to have trolls regardless of what measures are put in place

• Those kinds of answers are annoying but i dont see them that often to the point where we need to limit them. That would just be even more annoying for the rest of us who have no lives and spend all day on here, like me

• How is 25 reasonable? Thats not reasonable at all.

• Can you give LEGITIMATE answers to more than that in a day? I doubt it.

• No doubt you would. But at least we'd make yu trolls go to the trouble. And that way, you'd wouldn't be able to point troll since all the points would go to these different accounts, so you wouldn't do this in the first place.

• 7000 xper = amazon gift card
      trolling = priceless

• No, I dont

• Why? If people want to answer questions all day, let them.

• No, I don't think it's a big deal.

• If we limit the amount of points per day, the ones who commit more time here will be disadvantaged in leveling up. It would take so much longer.

• See the anon troll right below you.

• I really don't know why this stuff bothers you so much

• I'm amazed anyone pays attention. I hit master on old account I think and guru now. I've never used any xper for myself i just gave all the amazon cards to a friend here who had kids and not much money.

I honestly still don't know how much xper you get for anything.

• Perfect example. While you're trolling up the cards, the rest of us legitimate people lose out because they have to increase the points necessary to get a card. Gone from 4000 to 7000 in the last year or so.

• Can you read?

I've never used a single damn card myself, they could get rid of xper and i'd do nothing different, and it amazes me that ANYONE changes their behavior based on them.

• No. What?

• if they limited it, then they HAVE to lower award costs. 7000 points for amazon, at a limit of 25 a day. no, just no

• Exactly. That's why they raised the cost, because of all the drive by answers for points.

• i generally don't make mytakes. and, they've limited us to 3 questions within 24 hours, already. soooo

• Exactly Writing questions is very rarely a trolling exercise; i mean, how d you write 3 word questions? and hey limit THOSe pretty strictly! So why no limits on answers, esp anon answers?