Do you think that people who ask racist/sexist/nationalist questions on GAG should have their account deleted?

I see tons of anti-women and anti-american comments on GAG and people just spewing offensive garbage in general and I wonder why the question hasn't been removed. And then you go on their accounts and see how pretty much all their questions are about how men are better then women and how europeans are better than americans and I just wonder why their account has not already been deleted. Why are people who are just spouting hate even allowed on GAG?

Note: This does not apply to questions about abortion or atheism. Just the above listed topics.

Most Helpful Girl

• well freedom of speech - the first amendment allows it so what would be the point - I see people ask the world's stupidest questions alive so yes I don't want them here but this is a site of opinions and what would be the point of removing any question at all?

• Unfortunately 'freedom of speech' is abused by people who want to just spread hatred around! That has led me to be very skeptical about it!

What Guys Said 14

• It's the internet. Either be ready to encounter people who disagree with you and take sh*t or f*** off back to TV.

• hey, I don't know where your from, but in America we have freedom of speech...i may not agree with what people say and I do agree some posts should be removed if they are too vulgar but you really cant, its backed by the 1st amendment

• I think they should be and I don't think freedom of speech is actually counted in this case. This is a privately owned website so the owners of this website have the right to delete anything object-able they see fit.

• You have to find the level between protection and freedom. You need to be free enough to argue your case, but there needs to be enough protection so you don't greatly infringe on others' freedom.

I believe in this case they didn't see enough infringement of freedom.

• free speech anyone?

• Who cares, just let the mods remove the question if they're that bad. If they do nothing but cause problems for an extended period then sure why not ban them. Give them a chance to learn from their mistakes though.

• i think yours should be deleted for wanting censorship

• Nope.

• No.

• if you can't remove them from reality you might as well just learn to deal with them.

• No. Because what you may see as anti-american or anti-woman is just people speaking truth.

I'm a patriot I love my country and I think it's the best there ever was.

The suffrage movement was an invaluable part of making us a better place.

But now people overreach themselves when there isn't a problem and screw things up. ADA. and that sort of thing. Actually hurt the people they try to protect. Forcing people to hire women makes them resentful. So women. Start a friggn business. and discriminate against men.

I really don't think that companies should be forced to hire someone if they are racist. It's bad for business to be racist so you will eventually be out done by the smart people who aren't racist.

• NO.

• no because there is this little thing called freedom of speech and they can say anything they want

• Freedom of speech has limitations though. Libel, incitement to riot, public mischief, sedition, and so on.

• No

What Girls Said 7

• Do you know what makes me chuckle?

You ask a question, in which you specify should posts be removed if they're negative about Americans, and in response - the Americans all come out speaking about the "first amendment", as if the whole world follows their laws...

In answer to the question - there should not be a blanket ban, no. Sometimes criticism is valid. So when people criticise American isolationism and cultural ignorance - they can often have a point, and can often back it up.

Note to all people - if you want to make a universal statement about freedom of speech, why not use the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (article 19, I think), which at least has some scope outside of your own country?

There's a big difference between fair criticism based on a common observation and just spouting nonsensical abuse, like the loathsome "hurr, Americans are dumb, hurr" which is so fashionable nowadays...

Often the best response to an opinion we disagree with is not to silence it, but to respond and explain why it is incorrect. obviously, this only works with a point that's rational to begin with, and tends not to work so well with prejudice.

We can't ask all free speech to be intelligent (some people just aren't) and can't ask that free speech be inoffensive (you'll always find someone who's offended by something!).

What we can as is that people use free speech responsibly, and don't abuse or degrade others. If someone isn't capable of censoring themselves according to this respectful principle, then sadly someone will have to do it for them, to protect those who may be victimised by such hate-speech.

• Great answer.

• The american thing was just an example, and I used it because I see it commonly and it usually is the non-sensible type from where it is an insult and no longer a critique.

• I agree, I used to see that a lot. I think it's pathetic that anyone says such childish things. If there's good cause for criticism, then criticise. But criticism should be *respectful*.

• Yeah I do definitely, this is not really the site for that sort of question. People who want to ask stuff like that should go onto Yahoo Answers - they can get into some lovely arguments and mud-slinging on there! I'd like to see GAG stay as friendly and pleasant as it is now!

• Haha, seems mine is not a popular opinion! I hate bloody 'freedom of speech', mainly because people are given an inch and take miles and miles... i.e. they feel they can be as offensive and hateful as they like and then if anyone doesn't like it cry 'What about my freedom of speech'. It's a cop out for a lot of people!

• Yeah, that's how I feel. It should lean more towards freindly, thoughtful, discussions instead of trolling forums.

• Freedom of speech.

• No. In America we have "Freedom of Speech" and according to Schenck vs. United States, unless the words present a clear and present danger to national security, nothing can be done.

• just report the question and person and gag will delete it

• I know some that have been reported and not been deleted even though they are total garbage. I have reported some myself but I still see some floating around afterwards.

• the worlds not perfect. neither is this site. just gotta live with it and try to ignore it

• That's true I suppose. it's still retarded though, haha.

• Unfortunately people are abusing 'freedom of speech' indeed you have the rights to speak what you want but there is no absolute freedom of speech. It's not right when you disparage others. So I agree with you.

• There's freedom of speech HOWEVER,this site deletes things that are mundane when they should be erasing that nonsense...which IS offensive.But maybe they can't catch everything because a lot of times offensive questions are anonymous..