Do you feel like sometimes the main goal is lost on here?

I feel as though sometimes when I see the answers people put on here its either to be cute, stupid, or just to get attention of course this happens a lot but it seems like that's almost all is see now.

And people really seem to get into messing with each other through other peoples answers or their own.

Agree or disagree..

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh, you mean like posing the question "Can you rub your head and pat your belly at the same time" that I see was posted on here about an hour after your post? It is followed with a paragraph about how being able to do it means you will probably live past 70 and most girls cannot do it and the QA thinks girls are less coordinated. The only thing that surprised me about that was how many people responded and that they did not put the QA on blast, lol.

I don't think the main goal is lost here, I think it is a free country with a free website allowing people to say what they will. Freedom of speech doesn't come with any clause qualifying it as protecting intelligent speech :)

You can block someone who is a pest and ridiculous. Beyond that I am surprised at how many questions do receive a good range of thoughtful answers. I may not agree with all the answers but many seemed thought out, not just written for shock value.

What Girls Said 16

• yes I agree. I have answered serious questions but there is usually some wiseguy who chimes in with a nonsense comment. Funny these people normally don,t post an answer of their own.

Another thing is that most of the time the QA is asking for affirmation not a solution or an opposing opinion. So they get mad or rate you down.As a result the serious answers shy away.

• I'm starting find it pointless to ask a serious question with a good description as people just don't answer or leave answers that don't really help. An example being just saying how stupid one gender is. That doesn't help anything, it just gets people all hot and bothered.

• I agree. I think among the more known users, there's an attempt at getting attention by posting "funny" things or "cute" things however as time goes by those little cliques fade away and those users begin to actually answer questions thoroughly.

I know some users have complained about unnecessary comments, like, when two users are flirting with one another on someone elses answer or are just playing around and whatever they're saying doesn't pertain to the answer or question. I can DEFINITELY see how it's irritating. You have to pick and choose your timings though.

I'm guilty of it and we all are at one point or another.

I think what irritates me is when someone needs advice on a serious problem and I see people posting answers like "too long" or "I didn't bother reading." Answers like those are completely unnecessary.

• Somewhat agree.

I think it's better then when I first became a user.. but your right some people lose sight to what this site is actually about.. or just don't care and use it for entertainment purposes instead (trolling, leaving useless comments, or starting arguments just for the sake of it). It's pretty selfish when there's individuals on here who are looking for quality advice for a problem they have and no one seems to care.

The only thing you can do is to just report the answers/comments but like Belgie said even when a mod does remove answers like that, people get angry.

• Agree. I usually try to put forth an honest answer, though sometimes a snarky remark is the first thing that comes to mind.

I notice this way more with the questions- the general poll like, get to know some random thing about you ones on here that are designed to be read and answered in 20s to generate a lot of posts, but not anything meaningful.

• 75-80% agree or mostly agree, but there are a minority of users who help and ask questions with a good sense and a good purpose here without other intentions. Also, different users have different sense of the main goal and the main purpose of being in this website. It depends on the strategy, vision and purpose the admins set out to cater for the public.

• Yes, I agree. I can't even ask serious questions without being anonymous now.

Though maybe I haven't been here long enough :/

• I agree. It's like on a lot of questions, people are trying to be popular or just get attention and appear to be charming instead of really helping someone out.

• Yeah, it seems like it's getting more and more like that. This section is the one I see it on the most on.

• yes that happens a lot, but there are lots of users here who are not like that at all. You just have to weed them out.

• i agree. but I also think genuine questions typically get genuine answers. a lot of the questions on here are ridiculous, therefore they warrant ridiculous answers.

• omg I so understand and you are so on point I can't ask a serious question without people saying stupid sh*t that has nothing to do with the question.

• I agree, but what fun would this site be if it was serious all of the time. Sometimes I read funny comments that make me giggle and make my day :)

• People are often selfish, ridiculous and miss the point in favor of attention in real life. Why should the internet be any different? That said, I think this site actually has enough decent, thoughtful answers to make up for that.

• That happens sometimes but there are also a lot of people who give out serious answers and those who mess with it don't always do it

• I agree, that's why I stopped asking very many questions...

What Guys Said 9

• Disagree.

If I see a genuine, sensible question, then I will answer it helpfully.

if I see a question posted by someone with the IQ of a pebble however, I will rip them to shreds with sarcasm.

Sure there are some people who do as you said, but there are many (although, it could be a minority) that are blunt and straightforward with their answers and don't lie or spew endless cliches because the truth might hurt or offend some people.

• it depends what your goal in the first place is.

i do agree that there are VERY FEW who will actually take the time, read the situation and give their opinions.

A lot of people will just read the title or something like that an respond. They key is the details. That way you can give the true opinion of yourself. The title doesn't explain all, unless you write (question explains it all).

I do feel bad for those who are in real need and help and advice and they use the whole page and then you'll get responses like "this is too long, sorry"...its just not fair. If you don't have time to read the entire post, then don't even bother commenting...

i would however like to see some of those "long reads" fufilled and answered so that person can be helped out. its too bad, but yes I do agree people tend to be more short than they used to be with answers on here.

• Well if you want a good response level and a quality response, you do need to put some consideration into how you write a question. A long read that is written well and not filled with a bunch of superfluous information such as minutia about one-line text messages and random looks at each other, those are ones that I will read and respond to if I am able to. Ones that are written with run-on sentences and you can barely understand what they are saying, what's a person to do? :)

• I fully agree with Tamikaze. I'll add that I never answer wall-of-text questions, either. If you want help, edit your text properly. People seem to write like they THINK, and that just doesn't work.

• Stick around long enough and you'll generally see people like yourself, typically a "level 7" user, ask this question about whether people take the site seriously or if it's worth being here or whatnot. And that goes to follow the same logic as to why you see people who post questions we've already seen over 9,000 times before - they haven't been around long enough.

A level 1 person doesn't know we've already talked about penis lengths, breast sizes, whether someone should ask a certain someone or other to prom, or whether anyone else does a certain something they do, but these questions are very common to those of us who've been here. Stick around and you'll see the same thing you're mentioning continue to happen, why? Because it's nothing new, it's just that someone new will come along and realize it too.

• I agree. I also see a lot of answers that aren't at all helpful. Some people rack up tons of xper by answering with one sentence answers.

• The guidelines say mods and supermods should delete comments and answers that are pointless and just there to get Xper points.

And yet, when we do that, there's no end to the bitching.

• Disagree if feel a lot of answers are on point

• I agree but its really not something to bitch about when you can do all these different things to make people unable to even see your question.

• yes I agree

• I agree 100%. And it's getting that way more and more with some at least-

• Agree it's lost all the time and I probably contribute to that but whatever