I though you wanted my opinion?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of this site. But I thought it was to ask a question and get advice or an opinion from both sides.

What I don't get is when users attack another person's answer and rate it negatively. You asked for an opinion, I gave one. Granted, some advice may be rude and inappropriate. But can't you just ignore it?

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just trying to help people. I don't expect my answers to be attacked.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes you're not alone, some were raised in a barn with the other animals.

What Guys Said 6

• Some people are really sensitive and get butt hurt when they hear something they don't want to hear. That's just the way it is. There are better things to do than waste your breath on them. Just keep your head high and don't worry about it. Life's too short to have your head in the slumps over the little things. And remember, smile :)

• My understanding is that an up vote means "I agree with this statement", and it's just there to save people from having to rewrite the same thing that someone else already put.

It would follow that a down vote means "I don't agree with this statement", which is fair enough - but if you're going to down vote something, it would be courteous to post a comment explaining your reasons as well.

If someone is being offensive / racist / etc, surely you should be clicking the "report" link, not the down vote button? (btw: I regularly click the "report" link by accident, mistaking it for a "reply" link - sorry admins).

And at the end of the day, it's just a silly rating on a website - it's really not a big deal.

• I usually give down ratings / comments to people with responses that are rude, racist, etc. ... not simply because I disagree with a response.

• Yeah that makes sense. There should be respect even if you don't agree.

• people are entitled to an opinion on your opinion. what you are saying right now is that your opinion is more important than theirs

• I only downvote if an answer is rude or nonsense.

• Disagreeing with someones opinion is not an attack.

• ive seen some attacks. people get 'really offended' or something. (not by things I've said, I've read others comments).

What Girls Said 6

• Well there will always be at least one person who does not agree with you. It is stupid to get downvoted for something esp when you do speak out to how you feel.

• I've noticed it,it sucks:(

• ya I've seen that definitely.. but what can ya do.. it's the internet.. there's gonna be rude peeps.

• Yes and its annoying. Ignore them or post lol. The rude person stops talking a majority of the time.

• You can't really regulate how people react; this is the internet ANYbody can join

• agreed people only want to hear what is positive, they fish for compliments and want things sugar coated.