Do you think it's stupid to care about people on GaG?

I've gotten to know a couple people on here and have grown to care about them as well. Should GAG not be so serious where you start to care about some of the members?

Explain your reasons

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its stupid to not care.

Behind every pixelated screen is a person. People are worth caring for, and by simply answering a question, you are getting involved in someones life.

Caring is a human thing. There are so many personable people on here, I think it would be impossible and selfish to not grow close to them. Heck, by just reading peoples answers I feel like their friends.

The stuff we post on here aren't things we would typically share in a friendship group irl; there's a lot of personal information and insight flying around. Call me weird, but I feel close to a lot of users that I've hardly talked to on here.

Anyways, I normally just end up skyping with people after a certain point :p

• Some people think GAG isn't serious business enough to care about the people on it. Would you understand why they would think this?

• thanks for ba!

What Girls Said 6

• I have many friend's on here and care about them very much. I think that's totally normal but it depends on who you are friend's with. I have come across some really stupid people on here but the people I am friend's with are good friend's that I have come to know. Some of them are Facebook friend's with me and even one's that I talk to outside of GAG. This is a good place to know someone because you get to know what kind of person they are and what their view's are on certain things. You can follow them and read them. I mean what other website allows you to know someone that personally. There are some trolls on here and I can't stand people that are here only to sex chat with people cause this is not that kind of site. I would be very sad if one of my friend's left this site and I had one that did which was very hard for me. I still talk to him but its not the same as having him here :(

• We are human beings that feel emotions, when a connection to another is drawn. It is perfectly normal to feel this way, whether we have met the person or not.

• Probably because they haven't formed a connection deep enough with someone to form that care. Its like this in real life if you think about it, you can have 10 people you associate yourself with but really only care about one of them.

• Its good to care about someone you meet here because some of them are considered as online buddy.Online or real,they are still your friends.Btw you sound familiar : )

• I think it would be very sad not to care about the people you talk to or read about here. We are all human, thus caring people.

After all, you see the news and get concerned about people you see there, and you don't know them, right?

This is more personal, I think. So, of course it is normal to develop caring feelings about people here when you read that something is going on with them.

Only human...

• It's completely okay to care about people you meet online. I do. Plus, if I actually get into talking to someone on GAG, we usually start using Skype or AIM, making GAG irrelevant.

• It is good to care about others especially if they have tough times and you click, DebiePie is right we are only human and also it is not like we are going to meet these people.

What Guys Said 4

• If someone likes to help a person in need of help/advice (Even if they don't know the person), then that is their decision. Some guy was having trouble getting a girlfriend, so he asked if he should become gay, or just kill himself. I don't know who he is, but I still wanted to show him that I cared, and wanted to help him. So, after giving him a long explanation about why he should not do what he was thinking about, he thanked me, gave me the "Best answer" award, and told me that he will not do what he was thinking about, and it was because of my answer. So, I don't know him, he does not know me, but I still cared, and I am glad I did.

• We should care about every single one of our fellow humans. But we don't.

As far as I am concerned, anything which allows you to care about more people in the world today than you did yesterday, is a good thing.

• Hey, some people think members of their actual families aren't important enough to care about the people in them.

I don't understand it, no. While I don't think GAG is particularly serious either, there are real people on here, and some of them are in real pain and seeking help and advice. I see that as making them important enough to care about. I don't really understand people who can turn their back on them, mock them, or tell them "I don't care".

The ones I don't care about are the trolls.

• No, not at all. I don't even see why it needs an explanation, I mean, they're people. We, an empathetic race, with capabilities of love, and affection, and other types of closeness and caring, are inclined to the sociable and humane, as such, are predisposed to caring about the people we get to know. As such, if we get to know someone, its likely we'll begin to care about them. I can see absolutely no reason why getting to know someone online and subsequently sharing real human emotion with them would be considered stupid or even trivial; its bigtime, as bigtime as it is anywhere else. I accuse anyone who would challenge me of being superstitious, fearful of novelty and emotionally stunted.

• > mfw everyone else talks about humans capabilites of emotions

Well, its a GOOD POINT, if slightly homogenous.

• To answer your question,

Uh... People have explained to me their reasons a few times, they usually vary. Most people say that because they aren't actually there, as in, in the flesh, physically, they're not really there at all; they say that the people you talk to online probably aren't anything like the people who they are in real life. If they think its not serious, its because they come to it for a less involved reason than you do.

• I think it is only somehow stupid.. not completely stupid!

You just NEVER really KNOW who exactly is that other person behind the screen, so growing affectionate feelings towards someone who could really be just anything and anyone is beyond the common sense!

Though if you really KNOW who is that other person - one unfakeable way of that is video chat or also called as webcam chat then it's not stupid, it's normal to be like that through the Web, we are human beings with a soul and emotions.. well, most of us!

But as your question was only about GaG then yes it is stupid to care, for example if you're an ugly ass guy, what on Earth could ever prevent you from checking "Female" box when creating a new account and uploading fake pics found on Google or Myspace?

...yes, it is a rhetorical question!