Is GAG a popularity contest?

I've noticed several people on here who get 20+ answers on almost all their questions, and then I ask one similar to it and hardly get any answers. Are there certain people whose questions you like to answer more?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends. Some users can ask a question here and are automatically awarded 5 stars, and get more answers to their questions. Some are great, hard-hitting, mind-bending, and some are attention-oriented. And yeah, there are 'cliques' on here, there are users who have favorites on here. I've been here for nearly three years and honest to god, it's never been this bad. And you also have attention-seekers who can't stand being left in the dark or out of the limelight. And you've also got some who can and will say what they want, to whom ever they want, and no matter what's been said or done, they get away with it, time after time. But it's kind of like life itself, a popularity contest. Ignore it.

What Guys Said 6

• A brief and well worded question attracts an immediate response. Some questions are so lengthy and vague that they have to be re-read to try an understand what the question is. In fact some questions lead you to the answer and makes you wonder why it was asked!

• I think some of it is popularity, but I think people get used to seeing the same faces ask questions around here and so they grow accustomed to answer them more. It's random for me really, sometimes I'll get 3 answers, other times I'll get 63 lol

• Yes, it is a popularity contest for some! But for me this is just a forum!

There were questions before about this sh*t and of course as you may expect everyone suddenly were all correct goodies who don't like "immature high-school esque stuff" and so on...

even the biggest attention whores made comments like that! The hypocrisy is endless!

• Lifes a popularity contest

• Look QA if you talk to people on here you tend to get to know them and thus you like to kind of 'hang out' with them on GAG. it's not about popularity to some of them, it's just about friends being friendly.

My suggestion: Get to know some users and perhaps more will be likely to answer your questions.

• This was actually a very good question, thank you.

• I didn't say it wasn't a good question. sheesh lol

• sorry I meant answer*

silly typos

• My thought provoking or controversial Questions seem to get rated 5-stars but only answered by 6 or 8 people...however...if I ask something simple, the Question gets lots of traffic like 15 or 20 answers but frequently only rated 2 or 3 stars...

What Girls Said 4

• Personally, I answer questions if they're interesting, or if I think I can provide some good advice---regardless of who is asking the question. (To note, I also tend to skip over questions if they've been asked a million times already, because it gets boring answering the same or very similar questions over and over again).

I imagine that I'm a fairly "recognizable" person on this site because I've been here for some time---I have some questions that have 50 answers, and some questions that have 2. Perhaps some people might be more likely to answer my questions because they "know" me, but the questions that I get a lot of answers on are more often questions that people feel very opinionated on, or that are fun or easy to answer.

• Probably. I don't base my answers on that. If I really don't like you, I'll block you so I won't be answering any of your questions but in most cases I look at the title and answer whether I feel like answering and can offer a good response or not

• Yeah, pretty much. Not completely, but a lot of it. That's why I dropped outta the GAG rat race, man. Only answering on anon temporarily to get an Amazon gift card.

B-|

• YES and you lose