Would you visit GaG more if there where less ads?

Don't get me wrong, I get it sites need some ads to help keep it running and I respect that.

However, there is SO much advertisements on here I don't come on as often as I would. I actually really enjoy the concept... but this site always... ALWAYS without fail makes my browser freeze like crazy. After a while I can't take all the freezing forget about the site for a week or so and come back. I wonder why I left, then all the freezing because of too much advertisement happens again and the cycle continues. I think the site is loosing major potential traffic because of this.

My laptop is new... like not even a year old yet new so I know it's the site and not my computer and I doubt I'm alone. I feel bad for people with computers over 3 years old even attempting to contribute on here :'(

That's awesome they get rid of ads for people at level 9... but it still goes to show they are loosing major traffic because many of you have said you are a small minority on the site. First impressions make a big impact and the average person's first impression is still "I'm getting Ad raped, no thanks, next" I hope I get to level 9 but judging on my rate right now it might take a couple years. Ouch.
Thanks for everyone's input. If hate the ads too, look into the best answer for tips for how to block them!

Most Helpful Girl

• Just use google crhome and install their ad remover. Problem solved :)

• awesome thanks!

• AdBlock works with Firefox too

What Guys Said 25

• Yes, I agree totallly...mycomputer gives me no trouble when I don't log in here. What happens is that people who are fanatics will brave the ads, and log in contantly...but a lot of 'regular' people who are more sensible and would give better advice won't put up with it...such as you!

• They recently made a change and we at level 9 or higher don't have ads any longer. But we're a small minority of the people here, most don't stay long enough to get to that level. It took me over a year to reach that level.

• wow! a whole year... I try to brave it but normally can't take it much longer then an hour. It'll take me 4 years I bet 0.o... well I hope not. I'd be nice to not deal with any ads.

• Most browsers have plugins available that completely eliminate the ads. I've completely forgotten there were any. You shuld research more =)

• chrome sucks then... but firefox would let viruses in so I'm not sure about going back to firefox yet

• all browsers can let a virus in. It's the plugins and your antivirus software that prevent that.

• "Boo-hoo :( Why can't I just use some common sense and download adblock?"

That's what this post sounds like to me.

• I'm not use to google-chrome so I didn't know how to get adblock until I asked the question. If you actually took a few minutes to read the comments you would of known that, instead you're assuming like a stupid teenager.

• If it had nothing to do with what I said then it was extraneous, and means putting it in your comment at all was pretty idiotic of you :)

• I hate teenagers. They're all the same, thinking they know everything.

• ads? what ads? :D

• Yea use adblock. It's on Firefox and Chrome. I use it for Chrome I also installed like 5 other ones because things seemed to slip through sometimes. But not anymore!

• I use AdBlock Plus with Firefox so I don't see them. I'd suggest using that. Problem solved. :D

• once you hit level 9, all the ads disappear lol

• I'm almost at level 9...one you reach 9 or higher, there are no more advertisements.

So hustle up those XPers and get there. :)

• Yes, they recently made that change and it help[s those of us at higher levels.

• Get to Level 9. No more ads!

• Use chrome and run adblock or use firefox and run adblock plus. I prefer chrome but either one will work. No more ads.

• The ads don't bother me at all. I just ignore them. So, no, I would not visit GAG more often.

• No idea because every site has them. From basic sites like Yahoo to You tube to CNN. I would love to learn how to block ads on here, they are always keeping me from making quick responses to questions...

• yeah the ads are here are totally outrageous

• when you reach level 9 the ads go away

• Well, who would visit it if there were more ads? Way too many already!

• I already don't have ads, but sure I'll jump onboard. Grrr ads

• Great question, downloaded adblock plus. I'm a happy camper.

• ANYTHING is more attractive to me, the less ads it includes.

• Yea I have a top end computer and gag stops working on there and its a huge pain in the neck

• Not really.

• I'll visit it just as much.

• the ads piss me off

• i have a ad blocker for firefox so I don't see any at all its great

• Not really, I asked them ages ago to turn down the ads or I would just start using adblock plus.

The video clip of a mini van/car screeching wheels/brakes on endless loop on every page was the last straw for me.

So now I use adblock plus.

• What ads? oh I have firefox, so I'm using a few ad blockers, there isn't a single ad

What Girls Said 12

• nah I love GAG just the way it is. For some reason I don't get all that pop ups that everyone seems to be getting.

• They recently listend to the complaints, and took away the ads for those of us at level 9 or higher. But we're probably not even 1 pecrent of the people here.

• Also, for those not at level 9 yet, you can google "ad block plus" for chrome and or firefox...it solves the problem that way, as well

• cool didn't know that either.

• You have no idea, the other day GaG wasn't loading on FireFox (where I have Adblock) so I opened the site with Safari.. I could not Believe how many ads were on this site I found it so irritating having advertisements popping up on my screen every minute.

Get Adblock Plus.

• I have Firefox, and I downloaded AdBlock Plus. Now I don't see any ads (or very few) on every webpage I visit.

• I wouldn't mind them so much if the video ads didn't automatically start at full blast when the page opens - it's not fun when you're watching a TV crime drama while you're surfing the Internet...which is what is exactly what I was doing right before I opened this thread and had a video ad greet me right as I was trying to read through the thread.

• Get addblock plus

• I don't see ads

• The adds make no difference to me, I hardly even notice them.

• I have an ad blocker added to my browser. Problems solved.

• yes...plain and simple yes

• I hate ads...Especially the ones that play sound and the rollover ones Dx

• Yeah I didn't like them much

• I don't really notice the ads except for when I click on a question and I have to wait for it to load and take up half the page. But my computer loads really fast