Do you agree that this should be changed? (Warning: peanuts-question)

It's kinda annoying that GAG automatically changes the word "cause" into "because" in the question title. I mean, sometimes you mean because as in "to because something", not as in "because"...so WTF?

I know it's just peanuts, but I was bored and though I'd point it out. Maybe someone agrees...

SEE! It did it again! I wrote "[...]sometimes you 'cause' as in 'to because something'[...]" and it changed the "cause"s into "because"s!..."to because something" - WTF?

Seriously GAG, are you really that dumb?!
*sometimes you mean 'cause'...

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, it annoys me intensely. I always talk about 'Cause and effect', this age-old concept for explaining the way the world works, and it f***ing... RUINS it, man.

There was a newspaper here, once, that must have had an automatic filter just like GAG does, and the front page, the big headline, featured a name like 'Ryan Gay', or something, a footballer, and it changed it to 'Ryan Homosexual.' LOLOLOL. And this was printed en masse.

• This is so ridiculous. Why would they even ever want to change the word (not the name) "gay" into "homosexual" anyway?

• Hahah, I know, I dunno. It's like GAG changes f** (cen) got into homosexual, and I always thought that was backwardsly offensive, because bisexuals, trannies, queers; the whole gamut of human sexuality, falls under that insult, not just homosexuals. But *they're* stealing the limelight

• Thanks for BA!

What Girls Said 4

• Yeah, it gets annoying sometimes.

It always catches me off guard too. Like, I reread my question/answer and think to myself, "WTF? Did I make that typo?" and then I realize that GAG changed it.

There have been other things, like I've said, "U" of Toronto (meaning university) and it's changed it to "You of Toronto", or I've been talking about math and used "r" are a variable, only to have it changed to "are". But at least those ones are kind of understandable.

Changing "cause" to "because" is stupid because "cause" is an actual word, in and of itself.

I also dislike that it forces me to use the American English version of words, like taking out the "u" in words like favour and neighbour.

• Oh, they must have changed it! My "u"s are still there. XD

• Nope you can cheat the system by putting quotes or apostrophe's around them like 'U You r' are Cause' cause

• Nah, I meant they left the "u"s in favour and neighbour. Previously they would change it to favor and neighbor.

• Well that's really stupid of them...

• i usually just type cuz.. haha

• Yes! It pisses me off. They assume they know how to use the word! Sometimes I really did mean cause.

What Guys Said 6

• yes I agree and I'm also tired of the "question is either too short or too long"? message when asking questions.

• Yeah, I mean why can't we decide for ourselves how much information we wanna put in the details?

• thanks for letting me know, I thought I just typed stuff wrong. And GAG shouldn't edit grammar or spelling at all. We should all be able to see who here is stupid ;)

• "BTW" also gets converted into by the way which is super annoying because then it looses its "bee tee dubs" connotation. Imagine if "LOL" were converted into "laughing out loud"... Not the same effect, not by a long shot.

I hate all the word changing, I should be trusted enough to use the English language... And people who "tak liek dis" are NEVER going to be intelligible no matter how much you filter and fill in their speech.

• I hadn't event noticed it, but yes, it is completely stupid of them!

• This is a bit bothersome to me, too...but I do understand its purpose of inserting the actual word in place of the shorthand word.

It bugs me too...but it bugs be because I actually make sure my spelling is good on every question lol.

• "[...] inserting the actual word in place of the shorthand word." - But that's the thing, "cause" is not always the shorthand of "because", it's a different word with a different meaning. It has nothing to do with having bad spelling. And that's what makes this automatic changes so annoying.

• This is just one of many many bugs in the system, which would be *trivial* to fix.

The fact that they aren't fixed, makes me think they don't have any developers working on the site, and only bring them in for major code changes. (Like implementing the whole super mods thing recently.)

• But as much as I remember, it didn't always automatically change the words. So someone must have programmed it that way...

• Very possibly, and I'm sure it made sense to them at the time. But they skimped on the testing, or something.