Do you think it should be visible who up- or down votes an answer?

Like it is on Facebook where you can see who liked something, do you think it should be visible on here too with the up- and down votes?

Please explain why or why not.

• Yes, it should be visible who up-/downvotes an answer
  • No, it shouldn't be visible who up-/downvotes an answer

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 21

• It's a bad idea.

If someone agrees with an answer like up- vote if they disagree they down-vote. That's all that is really needed.

If it showed who they were less people would up-vote and down-vote from fear of harassment and hate mail. This would lead to a much more inaccurate portrayal of how each answer is perceived by other users.

People come here to find the truth about what others think so it's kind of retroactive to do anything which would change that.

Anonymous surveys are always more accurate too because people are more likely to lie if it means avoiding persecution.

No one likes their answers to be down-voted and the answer itself may be a fantastic one but it's more about whether other people agree with it or not rather than if it's a good answer. So we shouldn't take it personally.

• No, it shouldn't be visible. It keeps the design cleaner, plus the voters can comment if they feel an answer deserved it. Why try to figure out who voted for what?

• i think if you made the names available it would stop people from down

voting you for stupid personal reasons (not that it makes a difference in my life). but for example: a guy asks how does he get over an ex. I answer by going out and meeting other girls. and then every teenage girl who don't want her ex talking to any girls comes along and down votes my answer (true story...but again, not that it makes a difference in my life)

i think if you got something worth knowing, put it in a comment. actually they should probably just do away with up or down's all together. and I'm a person that gets mostly up votes and I still think it is pointless.

• Yea I have not slept or eaten for 2 days because I got down voted & it bothered me so much on who it was that would do such a thing. Must have been one of those useless cowardly anonymous users again, that's what I tell myself. Hopefully I can get some sllep tonite.

• Sure, if it would make any real difference to people, I wouldn't mind.

I mean, I personally don't give a crap about it. And if I bother to thumb people up or down, I'll have an answer or comment there that makes my position perfectly clear anyway.

But the thumbs up and down don't have any real meaning on the site. They don't affect Xper points or anything. They just tell you how many people bother to agree with you, or not, as the case may be.

• I'm not sure myself If I'd want it or not. But sometimes I'm thinking to myself "hmm, I wonder who gave me that downvote/upvote", that's all.

• I'd be more concerned with the why than the who. I've been in situations where I'd post about a personal experience or put a lot of effort into answer only to receive downvotes with no critiquing. I don't lose any sleep over it, but it would be nice to know what the people disagreed with.

• I would like to know why. Some are obvious, like in sports if I say team "A" there are a lot of down votes.

If it's an opinion state why you think I'm wrong.

• Meh, I really don't care, honestly.

• It seems good but I don't think many people would then downvote as often

• C: doesn't matter to me. I'd just like people who do downvote to say why. I love a good counter argument if they can provide one.

• A upvote says you agree, no need to say why. Should make it so when people downvote, it prompts a "why" to comment.

• that'd be nice, and ya, that's why I only said downvotes are why I wanna know. People who agree are, well, obviously in agreement O.o but the disagreements can be many reasons and I wonder why.

• I think it wouldn't be good idea.

Because it would trigger even more hatemail like: "You BICH why You downwoted meee?!"

Like anybody cares.

• I don't think there is. I mean virtually everything on this site is an opinion. The thumbs up/down are almost like confirming fact/fiction in which opinions are neither.

I've posted questions before and while I've had disagreements, I've never thumbs down anyone (no matter how arrogant) for disagreeing with me. thumbs downing someone on this site is almost 90% due to the fact that two people can't get along. The other 10% are for spam and such.

I think we should get rid of it.

• I think that is a good idea.

or

I think if you place an up or down vote it should default that you have to make a comment why..

The comment could be anonymous I guess but you would have to explain yourself.

• having the ability to see who votes you up or down would because some more drama I think, I mean if I get voted down I really really don't care, I mean I just gave my perspective and if they don't agree with it then that's their choice. I do think some people abuse the whole downvoting thing to really sorta gang up on someone's answer but like I said, f*** it

• Seems like a good idea. I also think it would be a good idea to have a best answer by the author and a best answer by the community.

• It's an interesting idea. I would like to know. But then again, I don't want to have anonymous up & down votes.

• I don't see why yes or why not to be honest. I don't really mind on who votes one thing or the other.

• I don't know or care...but you're definitely a hottie!

• yeah I got o green arrows and 7 red arrows for pointing out pointless a question was (she was asking if Asian have naturally curly hair

• Not at all people are allowed opinions if they want to share they can comment

• I'd be tempted to see, but that won't happen. I really don't care so much for who up or downvotes me too much.

What Girls Said 13

• If that was the case, some people won't bother to down vote because the answerer might want a reason as to why they've been down voted, which isn't unreasonable of them.

I never really bothered with up/down votes on an answer.

• no, it will only because more unnecessary drama and people stalk/blocking/downvoting each other

this is the internet, anyone can say anything they want and in life people will disagree or agree with you, you just have to accept it and let it be, who cares who on the internet disagrees with you?!

• I think it could be a great feature. I also think the person should add why they gave you a thumbs up or thumbs down. But honestly, some people on this website are so ridiculously sensitive that they'd probably block anyone who gave them a thumbs down more than twice or just argue about getting a thumbs down. When it's really not that big of a deal at all. You can tell by some answers that it's like they expect applause and when they get a thumbs down, they make a big deal out of nothing.

• There are times when it would be nice to know WHY someone voted either way on an answer. But I don't think it's necessary to know WHO voted, personally. On the other hand, if votes weren't anonymous, people might be less likely to vote for silly or mean reasons.

• Yeah...upvotes are great and all...but downvotes don't actually because you to lose points or anything.But if it did...then I would want to know who the culprits are! *shaking fist in the air*

• It doesn't really matter too much to me, it'd be cool to see who agrees and doesn't agree with your answer

• YES! , because sometimes I don't get why someone would thumb down something , especially in questions that ask for like personal experiences , I mean I'm describing something that happened to me in the past , I'm not offending anyone , so WHY thumb me down?/

• no.. it'd just add more unnecessary drama and this site already has tons... it'd be nice for the ups.. but not the downs.. that would lead to craziness.

• What difference does it make?

• Yes I think it would good to see who down votes you-sometimes it's pretty clear,other times not so much.

• I think it would be useless information. It would make the down voters targets for disagreeing and the up voters would be attacked for liking something "offensive"

• Actually, that's a pretty interesting idea. I personally would be interested in knowing just for curiosity's sake. But I don't think it should be a thing if most people don't want it to happen.

• No, I'd rather not know who disagrees with me but I'd like to know who agrees