If someone agrees with an answer like up- vote if they disagree they down-vote. That's all that is really needed.
If it showed who they were less people would up-vote and down-vote from fear of harassment and hate mail. This would lead to a much more inaccurate portrayal of how each answer is perceived by other users.
People come here to find the truth about what others think so it's kind of retroactive to do anything which would change that.
Anonymous surveys are always more accurate too because people are more likely to lie if it means avoiding persecution.
No one likes their answers to be down-voted and the answer itself may be a fantastic one but it's more about whether other people agree with it or not rather than if it's a good answer. So we shouldn't take it personally.
i think if you made the names available it would stop people from down
voting you for stupid personal reasons (not that it makes a difference in my life). but for example: a guy asks how does he get over an ex. I answer by going out and meeting other girls. and then every teenage girl who don't want her ex talking to any girls comes along and down votes my answer (true story...but again, not that it makes a difference in my life)
i think if you got something worth knowing, put it in a comment. actually they should probably just do away with up or down's all together. and I'm a person that gets mostly up votes and I still think it is pointless.
Yea I have not slept or eaten for 2 days because I got down voted & it bothered me so much on who it was that would do such a thing. Must have been one of those useless cowardly anonymous users again, that's what I tell myself. Hopefully I can get some sllep tonite.
I'd be more concerned with the why than the who. I've been in situations where I'd post about a personal experience or put a lot of effort into answer only to receive downvotes with no critiquing. I don't lose any sleep over it, but it would be nice to know what the people disagreed with.
I don't think there is. I mean virtually everything on this site is an opinion. The thumbs up/down are almost like confirming fact/fiction in which opinions are neither.
I've posted questions before and while I've had disagreements, I've never thumbs down anyone (no matter how arrogant) for disagreeing with me. thumbs downing someone on this site is almost 90% due to the fact that two people can't get along. The other 10% are for spam and such.
having the ability to see who votes you up or down would because some more drama I think, I mean if I get voted down I really really don't care, I mean I just gave my perspective and if they don't agree with it then that's their choice. I do think some people abuse the whole downvoting thing to really sorta gang up on someone's answer but like I said, f*** it
I think it could be a great feature. I also think the person should add why they gave you a thumbs up or thumbs down. But honestly, some people on this website are so ridiculously sensitive that they'd probably block anyone who gave them a thumbs down more than twice or just argue about getting a thumbs down. When it's really not that big of a deal at all. You can tell by some answers that it's like they expect applause and when they get a thumbs down, they make a big deal out of nothing.
There are times when it would be nice to know WHY someone voted either way on an answer. But I don't think it's necessary to know WHO voted, personally. On the other hand, if votes weren't anonymous, people might be less likely to vote for silly or mean reasons.
YES! , because sometimes I don't get why someone would thumb down something , especially in questions that ask for like personal experiences , I mean I'm describing something that happened to me in the past , I'm not offending anyone , so WHY thumb me down?/