How do you use the thumbs up and thumbs down feature?

I've recently been paying more attention to the thumbs up and down feature on GAG. And I've started to wonder how other people make the decision to vote up, down, or not at all.

For me, I vote an answer up if I agree 100% with a person and think they gave an honest and helpful answer. And I will only vote an answer down if a person is purposely trying to degrade the questions asker and say something hurtful, or if their opinion goes against my morals. But I won't vote for an answer at all if I don't feel strongly for it or against it. I've either got to love it or hate it to express my opinion.

But it seems that other people use the voting system more lightly than I do. I've observed that not only my answers, but other people's answers as well, are getting voted down when there's absolutely nothing offensive about them. So fellow users of GAG, please enlighten me on how you personally choose to use the voting feature.

Most Helpful Guy

• i can't remember the last time I downvoted someone, it's a waste of my energy to get worked up over internet b.s. anyway. if I post a question I generally give an up arrow to whoever answers at least half competently. when I see answers (on other people's questions) that make me laugh or are on point I give them an up arrow as well.

What Guys Said 3

• Up: agree, insightful or to offset down votes that seem unwarranted.

Down: not that often but generally only for really faulty logic

I do not down vote over morals or differences if opinion clearly identified as opinion.

• Gets an UP: Answers the question tactfully and sincerely (note that this not mean I agree with the answer). Makes a humorous statement related to the topic but it is not derogatory in anyway.

Gets a DOWN: Rude, insulting, legitimately incorrect advice, horrible use of grammar and punctuation that requires several minutes to decipher.

I don't vote often, but when I do I take these parameters into consideration.

• If I tend to like the person's response or I agree with it I generally thumbs it up.

I only down it if it's a ridiculously dumb answer.

What Girls Said 3

• I usually don't use it but I usually don't read other answers on a question either. If I do read them and one is racist or can be hurtful to someone else who doesn't deserve it then I'll down vote. As for up vote, I'll do that to most good answers that I read (which I don't usually read too many). Sometimes people down vote just for the hell of it or they get down voted themselves and want everyone else to be down voted as well.

• Yea some people use to down vote answers of people they don't like on here for dumb reasons. I have a few of those people following me around. They need to grow the eff up :P

• I have never really paid much attention to them.. I up vote an answer when I find it to be funny or I agree with it.. I never down vote anyone unless the answer is immature and just plain ridiculous.

I don't even up/down vote answers on my own question either.

Everybody has their own opinions, regardless.