Does anyone else think religious questions should be banned from GaG?

Maybe it's just me or are you sick of seeing questions on this site relating to religion? All they do is incite anger , hate, arguments, judgmental views, they are not in any way helpful. Surely we have learned something from the effect religion has had on the world and don't need to encourage it anymore, or at least have a section devoted to religion so you can avoid it if you want.

By the way I don't care what religion you are that's your business

Most Helpful Girl

• Doesn't bother me. If I don't wanna read something, I don't. Censorship isn't the answer. I think it's important to confront these issues so people won't consider them so taboo.

Also, this question is ironic.

• Ok banned may be too strong a word and I would hope speaking about such issues would develop an understanding but it rarely does. And how is this question ironic

• Likewise, and I'm impressed you gave BA to someone you don't entirely agree with. That doesn't happen often :)

• Its called best answer not most agreeable answer. I don't understand why people post questions looking for opinions or advice and then give b.a to the person that agrees most with them. But that's a whole other question:-)

What Guys Said 11

• Religion is important to a lot of people (or they act as if it was) thus it will always come up, certainly on the internet where there's anonymity and one has nothing to fear IRL. In some countries and probably also in American towns, one can get in slight to heavy trouble for not following the maintream religion(s)

• You don't have to tell me about the trouble religion can cause, try living in Northern Ireland for a while. Of course religion is important to some people but it doesn't mean it has to be shoved in everyone else's face. Surely any questions which can be so controversial or confrontational h nt

• Northern Ireland is a painful example but it happens even in theoretically 'liberal' countries, albeit without Irish kneecapping. In Belgium not being mainstream MAY ncost you your job and certainly your career.

• Well it's the same here and the emphasis put on religion gets tiresome so why can't this site be somewhere where religious beliefs or lack there of be completely irrelevant

• Yes, they never get resolved and end up going nowhere. Best Answer usually goes to the person who believes in the same thing as the QA.

• Not with me it doesn't , best answer goes to the person who gives the most insightful, constructive answer regardless of whether I agree with everything they say. And you started off so well ...

• I've never seen BA go to the person with the most constructive answer and from what I've seen, you have yet to ask a religious question.

• Well there's a first time for everything ;-)No I never asked a religious question cause I made up my mind a longtime ago about religion but I have answered my far share and slowly lost the will to ever answer anymore.

• Maybe.. but also I like to rip the skin off from those jesus freaks or allah freaks with my obviously flawless logic, when the topic is about religion.

Though I never indulge in big and long arguments, because I don't like to repeat myself.

But I'm not sure what is your position about this.. you're from Ireland, and you ask this because you hate seeing people judging religion.. or you hate seeing believers promoting their faith?

And let's be real - this is the Nr.1 flame attractor on the Internet.

Obviously this site would be more "Clear" by successfully removing such questions, but people still gonna post them.

Religion is obsession. It's like a drug.

And that's why the followers feel an irresistible urge to spread their views.

But maybe there is a way to stop this.. implementing a feature if the question contains words like "god, jesus, christianity" or anything like that - it cannot be posted.

• To answer you're question I hate seeing both. I've some questions and answers on here that have literally made me question peoples intelligence and I've seen some old fashioned preaching. If someone wants to believe in something why do we all need to hear about it, what difference does it make to any of us, and who can judge another for their beliefs. intoI just can't understand why there can't be a section devoted(pun intended) to religion.

• Well.. actually no.

But the responses sometimes can be - as long as nobody is insulting everyone or losing temper.

Just the thing is it's impossible to play the noble diplomat forever when you're seething within from the argument, and here people can say whatever they want - nobody is taking their actions in account, so this is from where this problem appears.

It's not about "educational" things, it's about losing temper.

• Yeah I know there are some genuine questions and answers but I also know what you mean by seething within, at that point I generally just leave the discussion but I don't think it should be allowed go that far. Maybe it's just a question of the moderators doing their job with unbiased views

• No. Freedom of religion is a Right under our Constitution. As well as Freedom of Speech.

Now, do I believe religion is right as a topic all the time, absolutely not.. I am not, nor will I ever be, overly religious. But I did sign up and enlist to keep those Rights upheld for all persons of all religions in the U.S.A.

And if you really don't like the topic of a question here, you can just scroll right past it and not even read it if you don't want to.

• But this is a world wide website not just the USA. But yes religion is a right which should be respected but isn't all the bigotry and hatred and stupid arguments pointless

• For that there are other sites and forums about religion, this site is not indented for it, so it counts as "off-topic" or even "hate spreading" in some cases.. so your rights here do not apply.

Oh wait, and I almost forgot.. "Freedom of religion" does not mean ONLY freedom to be religious - it also means freedom FROM religion.

• Thank you Honour that's kinda my point

• Personally...i say no, religious ?'s are OK on GaG.

Once they start getting ugly, or someone ask a question that's meant to cause arguments like, "don't people know that (insert religion here) is complete BS?"

...

...

...then I do remove those.

• They get removed, you know. They're actually not allowed on the site. The removal of them is very slack, though.

• That's news to me. Try extremely slack

• You should have been able to figure that out by my nationality

• Haha, yepp, I saw that afterwards

• No, I don't think they should be banned. Maybe a bit of education to askers/answerers can be enforced or suggested by the site admins though...

• I agree that when taken to their extremes, religious arguments get pretty overwhelming. But I don't think that strict secularization of everything, including this website, is the answer.

• Everything else is secularized so why not religion

• No.

• A lot of trolls love Atheism as an online persona because it's like troll heaven to make religious trolls. People should just ignore them, it's mostly the same people asking the same questions over and over again

• I think they should be removed if they're offensive.

Speaking personally though, I've seen questions which I found totally offensive as an atheist, but even though they were deleted Admin saw fit to restore them.

Clearly, it's okay to offend some people, but not others.

• Exactly. If you're atheist or agnostic then your morals and all about you must be questioned but if you believe in a god you must be a better person than anyone else

What Girls Said 8

• I don't mind religious questions I just really despise when immature and arrogant people participate. I love a debate in a friendly and respectful way with open minded individuals but that seldom happens and that's when I think religious questions should be deleted most of the time because things usually do get out of hand. I think a wise move would be to actually have religious questions in pending mode first so that the higher ranking mods or admins can first control check it and then post it if it seems like a question that's not accusing of anything but in a light and respectful manner.

• Unfortunately I've witnessed very little if any questions debated in the manner you suggest. But yours is a good idea

• Is this question inciting the same arguments as the other religious questions? Yes. In my own personal opinion, it's not the questions that are the problem, but the rude and disrespectful way people answer them. If you disagree with someone you don't have to call them (as I was just last night) "a dumb showing off whore who should spread her legs and fly away." Why did I get such a reaction? The fellow told me I was wrong because of the Bible he (accurately) assumed I believed in, so I quoted a verse that held up my end of the conversation (about how not all people are terrible people, and good people exist). So now I'm a whore because I think good people exist. The point of this story (besides the fact that I am more than a bit bitter about it haha) is that if people don't resort to immediate name calling, polite philosophical conversations could ensue on GaG, and there wouldn't be any issues. The issue is not on the conversation topics, but the disrespect people have for others' beliefs.

• No I don't think it is inciting the same arguments because its not questioning anyone's beliefs or disrespectful to those you don't have any. It is questioning the way gag handles those arguments and why there isn't a religious section and the way you were treated proves the pointlessness of religious questions on here, there is hardly ever an open polite discussion

• they should have a religious section.

• Not at all. I think people should be able to have freedom of religion on here.

• ya they should be because of the types of people on here and how they react to serious matters such as religion.. it always ends up in a fight or stupid comments happen on them.

• People on here are a sample of people everywhere. Religion has always been discussed and debated for centuries and the result is always the same; bigotry and disrespect

• very true.. it has been that way for years.. I guess since people in life don't really talk about religion it seems even more violent on here because it's a big topic.

• Maybe that's because you can't be anonymous in life

• No,but I get what you're saying...

• Thank you. I was hoping people would understand what I was trying to say and not bombard me for saying something negative about religion.

• Tabooing a subject is never a solution.

• And ignoring that it may be causing a problem is also not a solution

• Yeah true. Get rid of the idiots.

• If we only could...

• If they're prejudiced and rude, maybe.