Do you think GaG should allow people to post fake photos?

There's a lot of people here on GaG with photos of other people than themselves. It's a bit deceiving, especially when they're posting pics of non-famous people as their profile pic. Obviously you know she's not Jennifer Aniston, but when she posts a picture of Jane Doe you're led to believe it's her, are you not?

I'm all for freedom of choice, but is this type of perspective manipulation wrong?

• It shouldn't be allowed. It's manipulating people to believe you're someone you're not, which is potentially dangerous to allow.
  • It should be allowed. Freedom of choice/expression is more important than the possibility of deception.
  • Other / I'm not sure

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 7

• I think if people claim an image is them, then I think it should be. As a basic thing, people should be honest, and I think it can be manipulative to lie about that. And it can give the real person in the photo a bad reputation /fake life they don't even know about. So I don't think it's really OK, especially without permission of non-famous people.

However. If you are only using that as an image that remains purely online (e.g. you never try to meet up with people in real life) it's no different than other "white lies" people might tell about themselves online. Some people consider the internet a way of creating an alternate persona, and as long as that fake or altered persona doesn't affect the real world (meeting up, relationships, etc) I don't think there is really an issue with it.

People have very different reactions to people based on the photo they use, I'm sure the girls who post bikini shots get very differnt treatment than someone obese. We are judged by our apperance everyday, so I think if people want to pretend to be something they aren't (so long as it stays purely virtual) I think it's not so bad. Don't think its good, but it is justifiable.

• So a 40 year old man pretending he's a 20 year old girl and flirting with you is okay so long as he never tries to meet up with you? That doesn't seem justifiable. Equally an obese / hideous / grotesque girl shouldn't be able to pretend she is a model if in pretending she is manipulating real people into believing it's true. That's my opinion on it, at least.

• That's what I mean, as long as it stays virtual, I think it's sort of justifiable. Not right, but I can sort of see why people might, and I suppose seen as everything is so image obsessed at the moment people should be maybe allowed to change how they are percieved occasionally. I think it can be quite difficult to make real connections with people purely via the internet, as at the end of the day its just a bunch of text.

I think convincing people it's true IS wrong though, but understandable

• I understand your frustration, but just as with Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, etc., it would be impossible to police this. Rather, I would just be cautious when communicating with people online, and never give personal information. You are correct - you never know if someone is who they say they are!

• I used to post fake images...random celebrities with horrible plastic surgery...because I thought it would repel predators..someone reported me for having those pictures and I was forced to take them off.

I wouldn't blame someone for putting pictures of good looking celebrities they idolize...but as for me I don't do that because people may think I am someone else..not every celeb is famous world wide.

I think we should continueour fake pictures..but tell everyone we aren't who we are.

• They wouldn't be able to keep it in check. Using fake photos is wrong, yes. But there's not way to enforce it

• Does it really matter? Not like it'll affect me in any way :L

• ^ it effects the guys who unknowingly flirt with a girl they otherwise wouldn't. Or girls flirting with guys.

• And how exactly is GAG going to monitor that? Depend to see someone's license before allowing them to post pictures?

• How they monitor is off point. But reasonable suspicion can be confirmed by a simple google reverse image search. Odds are you're not the girl in dating site ads.

• wow this is kind of a scary scenario, but I'm sure it happens all the time. morally, it is wrong especially when they are claiming it is them.

What Guys Said 6

• No. It is wrong. I don't mind the use of random pictures. I do have a problem of people using real photos of people that are not them.

• Obviously it shouldn't be allowed, but I don't think there is any way for them to tell if its a fake or real picture.

• It happens all over the internet...

• Well no but it's impossible to monitor.

• Don't care. Doesn't matter to me what other people look like. Lying is a shame, but for women I can understand lying to keep from being hounded so. Sadly, women deal with that a lot.

• I agree, GaG should be allowed to hack into your computer to check if you really are the same person than in your profile picture! Oh wait...

Just the fact that you google search people's profile picture creeps me out. And that disturbs me much more than someone posting a fake picture...

• Checking if someone is who they say they are is more disturbing that someone flirting with you pretending they're someone they're not? Hmm... that seems rational. -.- Sorry, but identity checks are extremely common. I can't think of any common examples.. oh wait.. when you get a job! a license, passport, bank account, etc, etc, etc.

I never said anything about hacking into someone's computer. Your comment is full of crazy, guy. Go anonymous troll someone else.

• Why? I am who I say I am. Google search my picture and you'll see I'm indeed anonymous

• How does that even make sense in your head? Because you're who you say you are, I should want you to troll? geeze..