Is it really that hard to hand out "Best Answers"?

I've noticed that most of the questions on GAG usually generate some very good responses. Sometimes they are short and to the point, others are longer and more detailed. Either way, they provide the question asker with a valuable perspective. Is it too much in return to get them to come back and hand out "best answer" awards and free XPER? Lets make this a two-way street, no? The first person who posts a really funny or interesting thought on this subject will get a BA from me for sure!

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 5

• When I got my first answer it made me feel like a million bucks! I would really appreciate getting the best answer, because I know someone really needed the advice and it will work for them.

It would help me fine tune my expertise to know what advice is working best for everyone.

Gratitude is important, and I'm thankful for every best answer I've ever gotten. I would like to be thankful for more!

• I agree! And awarding a "Best Answer" on every question you post is a great strategy for getting more answers to your future questions... :)

• Lol, well I only give best answers to those whom are insightful and or friendly about the subject; soemines people are so mean with their answers lol :)

• Yea, there are some trolls on here no doubt, but why not give it out to the best answer regardless, even if they aren't super insightful? Not every question on here is of earth-shattering importance. Often times they don't need a super insightful response, just the right one to answer the question.

• Truee, lol. It also varies on the question :)

• You are correct. A lot of people on GAG give best answers but I think its because they feel as if they may get a better answer. Its a grass is greener on the other side sitch and a delicate balance. If they answer best answer to quickly and a better answer comes along, they would probably feel bad to revoke their first choice.

• Good point. That being said, go back and check your questions in a few days and find out which ones were the best, right? After a couple of days, you aren't going to be getting any new responses anyways. Just go back and finish the job. :)

• If you do the color deal, just pick out the most funny comment? There's humor to be had and might as well give something back to those who contribute to it, right? :)

As for the answers that were poor, yes, don't pick a BA. For most questions though, it is common to get at least three or four good answers to choose from if the original QA'er asked it in a clear manner and wasn't trolling.

• Quite true, humor is always good, if the QA is smart enough to understand the humor. You have to take into account that their are people on here that...well...kinda fell off the dumb truck

• I always give out a best answer if it stands out from all the others and I can tell they put a lot of thought into it and it is an intellegent answer;.Alot of people on here have some really dumb, lame answers, by that I mean utter nonsense, and in no way an answer that could help the person.

The only time I don't give a best answer to is certain times there are so many great answers that it would not be fair to just single out one particular person.

But I do agree that it swhould be given to those who truly deserve it.

What Guys Said 4

• I am new to this and have only asked but one question and it received nine or ten responses. For the most part they were good and honest answers and I appreciated everyone taking the time to respond. I found it exceedingly difficult to choose the BA! It would be nice if you could award a top three! Naturally you are inclined to give that honor to the person who gives you the answer you are hoping for or you yourself agree with. BUT...the other responses are probably a more accurate sampling of opinions. In the end I went with the one that was short, sweet and happened to fall in line with my thinking. I ruled out those that were profane, bigoted or just downright silly as they did not seem thought out. I do think askers are remiss in not taking a few moments to review responses and reward others efforts after a period of inactivity on the question. But sadly some people are selfish, self centered and unappreciative of others efforts. GAG should develop a system for deducting points if questions are not reviewed and awarded within a reasonable time, just as they do for failure to login, etc... Or we the answerer should be able to go back and hand out our own BA (biggest a-hole) award!

• I totally agree with you. Few people take the time to either rate questions, or to give Best Answers.

I get a certain motivation from getting a Best Answer. We don't get paid for our time here, and it's nice to have SOME sort of recognition for our wisdom!

• I award "Best Answer" usually about a week after asking it to give users some extra time to answer it. But I agree, when I look at some of the questions that I answered over a year ago, there is still no "Best Answer" selected, and the user who asked the question is still active on GAG. It's weird, and annoying.

• I think what's most important is that people can read all the answers, which they can. Advice > feeling good because you got best answer.