Is hate speech acceptable on GaG?

In general, do you find that GaG moderators and members condone nonsensical, hate based speech?

What types of hate speech do you find GaG is most accepting of? And what are your thoughts towards any exceptions they make in allowing hate speech?

For example, would you say GaG members/moderators allow

Racial hate speech?

Political hate speech?

Religious hate speech?

Niche (nerd, jock) based hate speech?

Or are they pretty good in standing against all forms of hate speech?

Most Helpful Girl

• They seem to let a lot of anti-woman stuff in. I'm not sure about anything else.

• I have noticed more than a few uses of the word "feminist" as an insult. Most women bashing I see is in "getting over my ex" type questions, where guys reassure each other that all women are sluts as an effective means of putting past memories behind us. Is this what you're referring to?

• And do you see moderators, admins or community members typically standing for or against this type of hate speech?

• I don't know. It's hard to tell about the admins without being able to see what they delete. The community seems divided.

What Girls Said 5

• Girlsaskguys moderators and admins have become pretty intolerant to questions regarding religion, race and sexual orientation, as of late. I guess because those topics ignite strong emotions, once which are normally ignorance, immaturity and stupidity. So it all becomes a question ridden with nothing but attacks towards one another. Like, users begin calling each other names. I think politics is the worst on this site, simply because most of the conversations are just ignorance, and many of the Liberals on this site are extremely pushy about their beliefs and expect us all to feel the same.

As far as the community, political, religious and racial hate speech is most acceptable. It's not uncommon to see an atheist say something mean about Christianity and to have 10+ thumbs up or to see some liberal down talk conservatives and have 10+ thumbs up or for a Caucasian person to say something in the category of racist and to have 10+ thumbs up

But it only works certain ways really. Like, to say something racist against white people is frowned upon by the community. To say something rude about Atheists is frowned upon. To say something bad about liberals is frowned upon

• Do they condone it? No, but they don't condone much around here as of late

• The liberals on this site think anyone middle class and about should pay higher taxes anyways, so I think they'd be happy about that. I'd say a majority of people on this site are poor, which is why politics is sh*t on this site. Cause they go on and on about how the 1% is selfish anyhow. Plus, the no religious beliefs would tickle their pickle

• Sexual orientation I tend to let go because it's usually legitimate advice questions. However, religion and politics I don't feel belong on this forum because there is no advice regarding them you could get and all they do is start flame wars.

• The 4 links you linked peace.love.couture are has religion as a common theme. Why inhibit people's train of thoughts? Why stop others from questioning out curiosity? Why limit imagination? If you love and understand religion and God so much, I thought you'd be the first to understand, forgive and love people for who they are.

• I don't seek to stop others from questioning out of curiosity. What you must understand is, not every question is asked with intent for advice or thoughtful answer. Some questions are made as statements. Like, "if God loved people so much, why'd he kill so many". This can be a genuine question. This can also be a stab at religion. It's a genuine question when reading scripture and confused. It's a stab at religion when you're atheist with no serious intentions towards knowing religion.

• People are smart enough to know the difference and to know why a question will cause offense. Sadly, they're also smart enough to pretend they don't.

• they do. there are some of the most hateful racist things posted on this site that GaG apparently condones because they leave it up even after its been reported

• Most racial, political, religious and niche-based hate speeches are deleted by admins on this site. There will be disagreements on personal judgement, what's alright and what's not, but that's what you have to put up with for signing up this website. If you don't like it, either be miserable and complain, or find another medium that satisfies your personal taste.

• But is it really something that belongs on an advice forum? I mean, it's not like this site is designed for politics and most certainly not designed for discriminatory bashing. It's meant for questions you can get advice on or different perspectives. Not the rallying of political or religious beliefs, is it?

• As I've pointed out, there will be disagreements on personal judgement, what's discriminatory, what's a hate speech and what's not. There's only so much you can control in this site.

• Well I agree with peace,love,culture to a certain degree , Except for white comments. I feel that they except people putting down whites, But when it comes to people talking about same sex they most definitely don't except that. I made a comment once which I thought was minor but they removed it. But race comments is not a biggie and my opinion. But the question answer is right, When it comes to religion you can't say nothing and I'm religious to and I'm not white. It's funny how you can defend certain things but you can't defend religion wow.

What Guys Said 7

• I find it amusing reading those types of questions, just because they're so stupid. Moderators for the most part have their heads up their asses, they sometimes delete questions that don't need to be deleted and most of the time the ones that do need deleting are not deleted. I think they let personal judgement of a question get in the way of their decision rather than a judgement for what's strictly right by the rules of the website.

• I try to delete everything I can that is a specific violation of the terms of service. Unfortunately my daily deletes are limited.

• I was quite disappointed to see a question about trolling being removed. It was funny :/

• Was the person talking about trolling? Or was she/he actually trolling?

• The question itself was a trolling trollolol, and the answers were meant to be the same. Pretty harmless ;)

• Haha. Well people will have their fun. Someone probably reported you all for "nonsense". ^____^

• There is some jackass who just linked to an anti-Martin Luther King article from Stormfront on here...idiot.

• You seem to single out any question which does not kiss the ass of religion as hate-speech.

Do we have to list all the questions which come down against atheism? Or science?

Those aren't hate speech, even if your religious faith is so tremulous that you find them offensive.

• Could you give examples of my extensive history in singling out questions that are not hate speech, but that I thought were because of my over-sensitivity?

In my question I never claimed bashing atheists was okay, nor the bashing of science (which I'm not aware was much of a problem on this site). Nor would I think either bashing excuses the others, no matter which was done first.

• Why should I? Aren't you in the habit of doing both sides of the argument?

• Answered for you once. The other time I paraphrased the BA you thought I was quoting you. Again, I'm not to blame for your misinterpretations.

• I think certain types of questions (which will offend others) are allowed.

There are plenty of questions to be deleted in the guidelines, but there is no broad blanket ban on hate speech questions.

I know that I deleted certain questions which seemed designed to do nothing but cause offense to a specific demographic, and Admin restored the question. So I just don't bother with those any more. Now I only remove troll questions and questions which are specifically described in the guidelines.

• I think you're yopyopyop's natural enemy.

So my take from this is that mods don't have much power in stopping hate speech? That would make sense.

• This question is a good illustration of exactly why all "hate speech" is non-sense, and why there shouldn't be any restrictions on speech that don't incite imminent violence or harm. Thank you First Amendment. Private groups, however, (like GAG) are also free to regulate their forum as they see fit. So if they want to ban certain things (in this case anything that criticizes GAG) that's their choice.

• Yes, to a certain extent. I am member of another forum dedicated to a passion of mine, and they have gone so far in the "politically correct" that everything is boring there. If there is no place for humour, then it's not worth the time. I don't condone racism or even rudeness, but admins should understand they'll always find someone offended about any kind of things, even the most petty ones. A little trolling is always fun :)

• yop yop yop! LOL!

• That's a good point yopyopyop. But we can both agree their is a difference between a clever gag (excuse the pun) and a one that is just out right insulting.