Should Blocking People Be Allowed?

I mean I can see in various cases of like hate speech or like harassment. But most people that block one another on here just do it because they feel threatened by someone else's opinion and it seems somewhat cowardly to say the least. Just because someone doesn't subscribe to your world view does not mean that you should block them. What do you guys think? Do you think blocking people has become a strategic move so that people cannot defend themselves or quiet people's voices?

Thanks for all of your replies. Some of you have brought up the anon users do you think the anon users should be treated as if they were blocked by everyone considering a lot of anons are simply saying things they know are offensive and hateful at times? Or do you think that anon users should be treated like everyone else in terms of blocking or being blocked?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have to agree with you..I am not blocked by many..and by more males than females..virtually every block that I have on me was for some mundane, childish, idiotic or prejudicial reason..i have two males blocked...because they have me blocked and were abusive as well..most people who have had me blocked have unblocked me or have been kicked off of here..I have been blocked for 9 months by one female because of a sexual preference...and she is a Moderator!...O:O...Que Sera...I do think that users who are being harassed should be able to get relief..one way or another..Good Post!...(:

• Thanks IU'm just kind of heated because this one guys GDaz blocked me because I wasn't what he though a black girl SHOULD be it just seems idiotic.

What Guys Said 13

• I say yes, blocking users should be allowed.

I'll admit, I am on some users' blocked lists. I have a very open, "intense", friendly and flirtatious (more so online than in real life tbh) personality...and my extroversion can definitely:

1) creep out some girls that are paranoid from "Mark McCreepers" they have dealt with in the past (it's their loss of a good person if they mistakenly sort me as a "Mark McCreeper" *shrugs*).

2) be over-bearing and towards people who are seriously painfully shy.

--------------

Wth everything said above, I STILL believe blocking should be allowed...although there are at least 5 users (who shall remain nameless) that have blocked me for said reasons above.

There's plenty of people who have blocked people for seriously legitimate reasons imo.

• I've been here a little over four years and have only blocked one person. It was due to harassment, I think. It's been so long ago I've kinda forgotten. :P I don't think anyone has *me* blocked. I'm generally a pretty easy going guy.

If someone has a differing opinion from mine, so be it. As long as their reply's or whatnot don't delve into personal attacks, I'm fine with it. If they do start attacking me (or someone else involved), I may point out what they're doing and try to leave it at that. I try not to attack back personally as it serves no purpose really, and most likely will get the question rescinded. I highly disagree with the notion of using it to keep someone from answering your question.

All that being said I think it should still be allowed. Harassment is real unfortunately. I'm sure there are many ladies out there that are getting nonstop attention from creepy guys (or girls too I guess). Some allowance for defensive measures need to be considered. :)

• 7gnat blocked me just to get the last word. Then when my friend Renee commented on my answer, he blocked her and called her me.. then he updated his status and told everyone I'm contacting him on multiple accounts when in reality she had nothing to do with it. Haha. So whereas there are some good uses of it, in cases of real harassment. Sometimes people do it just to troll.

When blocked you should still be able to comment on your answers-- other than that, the feature should still be allowed since it does prevent harassment in some cases.

link

^ if you want to see how a troll uses it to win a failed argument rather than to escape harassment.

• Oh he has an answer on here. XD "Some overzealous religous idiots that refuse to end a conversation" I guess that's me. My suspicion towards his hatred for religion and his troll question as you can see turned out to be so not true (sarcasm). So he blocked me. Then went on a rant about how the golden rule you're taught in kindergarten has to do with the Bible and blahblah religious nut bags.. something something.

• Sometimes people's bs has to be stopped at one point. Some overzealous religous idiots that refuse to end a conversation or some people that pretend to be your friend and then say some horrible back-stabbing thing behind your back. Been on here about two years and only blocked 3 people. I think the block feature is overused but if we did not have it then there would be a lot of stalking and harassing going on. Great question by the way -5 stars

• I have three annoying broads on my ignore list because they continued to comment on my answers and questions even though they had me blocked. If they want to talk to me then it needs to be a two way conversation.

Other than that I have not blocked anyone else, and I would support disabling the blocking feature on the site so that I can continue to annoy everyone equally.

• Anonymous users should be blocked also. If I have the balls to not go anon and say offensive and invective sh*t then all you people need to grow a pair too.

• there was a huge thing I heard years ago about people socializing online vs offline, saying that people can be more choosey when they make friends online because instead of being in a room with people who have different views and not being able to ignore them you go online to a form talking about your favorite TV show and you can make 100 of friends who like the same show.

same thing about the movie theater instead of going to the movies putting up with people who laugh and make inappropriate noises you download the movie (or now days go on netflix) and watch it at home. there were more examples but those are the 2 big ones I remember.

so blocking someone is just another feature of socializing online vs offline not that it's right it's just a fact.

personally I only block trolls people who make hate speeches and the other things you said. I try to defend my view but if they disagree I don't block them I just accept that they don't like my view.

• Yes it should be allowed and I don't see it as cowardly. People that block don't want to tolerate other people's BS.

• Yup. I blocked some guy on her that likes pee. He said some messed up stuff behined my back after we became friends and said that if he had the chance he would fu#% my girl behind my back if he could. Nice friend huh?

• I had a few people (mostly older ladies who didn't agree with my views) block me because they didn't like my opinion.

I remember being blocked because I said people should be allowed to wear hats at casual restaurants, can't remember who the old lady was but I was blocked.

I don't mind being blocked though...I only block people who block me.

I'm on the fence about it being cowardly...I do think people are cowardly when they do it, but at the same time it could get annoying and people will just block for annoyance (which I completely understand).

• Only cowardly dullards resort to blocking.

• I've said it before. Everyone has a right to enjoy this site without harassment and annoyance. Therefore, blocking is necessary.

It is more cowardly to be unable to walk away from a bad situation.

Alas, sometimes blocking is ineffective, in that there are serial trolls on here who own multiple accounts.

• Yeah. There's one guy who creates new accounts every few weeks for the sole purpose of stalking me. I don't know if he does it to other girls, but he creates an account, hides his identity, and reveals it weeks later.

• You either have the freedom to block or you don't.

If you try to differentiate between what's a blockable offense and what's "cowardly", you're gonna create a lot more conflict, discontent, and abuse. It's true for anything that gets over-regulated.

• it gets misused but there's not a lot to be done about it. you can take a little peace in knowing you were probably right and they realized it would be easier to ignore you completely than try to respond to your point of view. I don't think it's too big of a deal. sometimes the truth hurts :p

• your 100% right about the last statement, I think it is nothing but cowardliness. like in my case, some chick here use to stalk me and every time she did I would hit her with it hurts her the most and she blocked me... and even till this day, she has me blocked, yet she still stalks me around

What Girls Said 11

• I agree with you.

Blocking someone says a lot about the person. Obviously, the only opinion they can handle is their own.

This is how they must be in real life also. When they hear something they do not like, they get offended, aggressive and try to tune others out. They are really hurting themselves, because they are drowning in their own ignorance.

• I reliaze I have gotten blocked by girls who constantly ask questions about their appearance,( I call them out for posting the same pics) and they block me for that, which is a really silly reason, or I have been blocked so I can't respond when a person is trying to attack me, which looks like I have nothing to say. Those reasons to block is really silly.

I have only blocked 2 people for commenting on my answers harassing me.

So I think when you get harassed that is a legitmate reason for blocking.

• Ehh I don't care too much either way. I'm blocked by a couple people, and I have a couple blocked too. Not something I think about, I usually do it if they send me a stupid message or I'm tired of their opinions. You don't always want to deal with a user and see their constant updates

I only wish there was a way for you to be able to tell who has blocked you before you answer their question (especially if they ask anon) because I've tried to answer questions sometimes only to post it, click submit and then be told that I can't comment on their question. it would be nice to know that BEFORE typing a dissertation lol

• I think a lot of cowards do abuse the system because they can't handle a different view point but I've blocked ...a few people for very good reasons and that's because I should never again interact with them on this site. It is, in my opinion, the most helpful tool on here with reporting a close second. Some people on here should be admitted or thrown in troll prison (: but it is definitely a useful thing and we need it.

Have I been blocked by some stupid idiot for a dumb reason yep but I've also blocked people for legit reasons.

• I think it depends.Blocking people that disagree with our opinion is totally childish but if that person keep harassing us then I guess that can be a strong reason.There are some people that won't stop voicing out their opinion and tend to be offensive when people disagree with them.So they blocked us and how are we suppose to react.The only way is to block them as well.

I never block someone that have opposite opinions from me.Usually the people that I blocked must have done something wrong.Either he posted offensive comment on my answer,trolling on my question or try to cyber with me.Only that three things that can make me block someone.

• Sure it should be allowed, but I think the person being blocked should know who has done it. That would avoid all the troll blocking.

• Yep. I deal with people I don't like all day. I should at least be able to sit at my computer and not have to deal with some closed minded prick or jealous broad. You don't have to agree with me but state your opinions respectfully.

• People that block others on here for not agreeing with them are pathetic. Someone on here asked if they looked skinny or "thick" I said skinny and got blocked. Same for another girl asking about her looks.

• Yes! For the Creepy McCreepersons. :/

• Do you think blocking people has become a strategic move so that people cannot defend themselves or quiet people's voices?

Yep

• people only block because they can handle another persons personality. they want to get the last word in where you cant. personally I think gag should allow people to block anon users especially if they say something that is out of line