Why do people post Anon?

Why do so many people post anonymously? Why not own up to your questions or answers?

Most Helpful Girl

• 1) A lot of users on here hold grudges and if you just so happen to answer a question unanonymously or ask a question unanonymously that holds an unpopular view on GaG or that is not so politically correct, you can expect many users to hold it against you

2) I know of a couple of users who only post anon because they don't want to receive any friend requests or messages. They're only on here to answer questions and offer help, nothing further.

3) I guess for extra identity protection. I mean, a lot of people on here post unique situations that aren't likely common...so, it's easy for someone involved in the situation to recognize who would be asking it...but it'll happen whether you're anon or post unanonymously

4) There tend to be quite a few perverts on here, so many girls feel inclined to post anon in the sexuality section

5) They're trolling

• I can understand about the pervs, and many other reasons, but when it's something simple, and I see an anon post, it just gets to me.

• Yeah, I got ya. It's kind of silly to answer anon to a question like "What's your favorite color?" but everyone has their reasons I suppose

• 2-4 is so true

What Girls Said 15

• There are some legitimate reasons that people would not want to sign their names to the questions or answers on this site. I have offered advice for a few years on here, good bad or otherwise. The biggest reason I would post anonymously is that I have had people take offence to something I have said and then they followed me around arguing with everything I posted or down arrowing me and arguing with me from then on. I finally had to block 5 or 6 people because of this. I was almost kicked off the site because of the constant harassment from those few people. If I don't want to show my name I wont. Somethings are just so controversial I'm not interested in taking heat because someone does not agree with EVERY thing I say. I mean people are entitled to there own opinion but then again so am I.

• Aye that's true. People whom follow you around to disagree with everything you say are f***ing retards. They need to grow up.

• I don't want people to tease or "hate" my questions or answers.

I don't want people to know "oh so you're the dumbass who asked that question or posted that answer. wth were you thinking?"

ect .ect .ect...lol

Notice: I'm not going Anon so...don't hate! ha (sorry...I hate that phrase...)

• Hey thanks for not posting anon on this. I appricate it. The only stupid question is the one not asked. But I can understand if you fear of being hated.

• I honestly don't know. I have my opinions and I'm not afraid to share them, no matter what people think of me.

• Cause theyre afraid of being judged, wouldn't you be afraid of being judged? I forgot the last time I posted anon.

• I'm not afraid of being judged. I guess I'm just too open about most things, and I want people to know whom posted stuff.

• I answer anonymously when I'm saying something I think will be unpopular or not believed, and I don't want requests or messages about the question.

I ask anonymously when either I feel the question will be controversial or the situation is personal and I don't even want strangers being able to connect me with it. I have been harassed (and I mean badly) in more than one question and I wouldn't have liked had I not been able to hide behind being anonymous.

• They are scared people would think they are weird just because they answered "honestly" Some have low confidence and self esteem online. But, I'm more confident online then in life ^^

• That's good. Hopefully people will start being more open about comments, and questions.

• Part troll(mostly troll) the rest embarrassment, or fear of incorrect assumptions..

• Embarassing question/answer

• Caz I can

• Sometimes I don't want people to add me

• To palek maybe because the options is there dear.

• Because we can. We do not forgive. We do not forget. We are legion

• Will it really matter, We use screen names anyway . We still wouldn't know one another. I could care less . If we don't use our real names it doesn't matter.

• You have not been here very long to say such a thing

• I guess I'm just open on many things. In real life, and online. But then it's each person's choise. And yet comments where others' make a judgment without knowing someone pushes others' to post that way.

• You didn't start the firestorm, there already was. As you can see the number of people down voting me are most likely the people who like to push others around.

• Amen Sister...(:

• Because the button is there. That's why.

• So if a piece of sh*t was laying there just sitting there, would you eat it. Just because it's there doesn't mean you're going to use it

What Guys Said 4

• I just figger people who do that are shallow and rudderless, and devoid of integrity. No offense intended of course.

• Well on certain topics, yeah sure I can understand, but I look at most that are posted, and it's always anon, and it seems like it's nothing to be ashamed about or to be judged on...

• I hear ya. It's like they're all afraid of their own shadows and prefer to spend their lives lurking in corners. Very bizarre.

• Some people don't want to be embarrassed if they ask a stupid, or creepy question. When they give a personal answer, they don't want to reveal who they are. It's like when you watch the news, when the crew asks people on the street (for example) to comment on something that happened, some people want to say their opinion, but don't want their face and name to be shown so nobody finds out who they are.

• I usually only ask anonymously if I'm seeking advice for myself personally. I'm not much of a troll, so it's not a matter of cowardice. It's more pride and embarassment :/

And I almost never answer anonymously.

• well they might be embarrassed by their answers or questions, and they might not want friend requests