Should blocking be allowed?

So I just got blocked by a QA for the first time since joining this site. It was kind of surprising as I hadn't really crossed any lines, I simply disagreed and told him that he was wrong about something. Anyway, he said some rude things back (nothing hurtful or obscene, simply rude) and blocked me so that he looks like he got the last word.

So I'm wondering, should we be allowed to block people JUST because they don't always agree with us? Sure we need a mechanism to prevent harassment and blatant belligerency, but if a respectful exchange is going on, I think that the moderators should be able to override it so as not to silence opposing views.

So what do you think?

• Blocking should be entirely up to the QA for any reason
  • Blocking should be verified by moderators SOLELY to stop harassment
  • Blocking shouldn't even be an option
  • I don't know, no opinion, see results
I just realized that I haven't worded poll option one very well, as it isn't always the QA doing the blocking, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at. Just replace "QA" with "blocker".

Most Helpful Girl

• It should be allowed, because there are cases of harassment, cyberbullying, cybersexing and spamming.

Some people do hit the block button easily, for not agreeing with them or telling them what they want to hear "my boyfriend watches p*rn and I hate it!" answerer1: most guys are going to watch p*rn. He's with you & loves you. accept it" BLOCKED! A bunch of users had that happen on a p*rn question.

Anyways, anon people shouldn't be allowed to block. Or what they should do, is when an anonymous person blocks you, they're automatically on your block list and you can remove them and they can remove you, but them unblocking doesn't mean they're off of your block list. People would get around the block by unblocking and commenting unnecessarily and then blocking again.

What Girls Said 7

• I know what you mean. I don't even know how many people I've been blocked by, because I've apparently pissed off plenty of anon users by disagreeing with them or pointing out huge holes in their point of view. Its not something we could really regulate, though, unless the mods or admins evaluated every single block request, which I doubt they want to spend their time doing.

• I agree it's not a practical solution by any means, I just wanted to see the numbers.

• Hard to believe that anyone would block you...but I don't agree with any of the reasons that I have been blocked../:/:/:

• People should be blocked for reasons such as harassment like you've stated but certainly not for disagreeing with someone as after all this site is based around people's difference in opinion. I agree with you completely, it's pretty much just shutting down your views and opposing argument to whatever question and well to be honest, anyone blocking you for that reason is probably very narrow minded and if they didn't want an opinion or discussion then maybe they should get off this site.

• Well, encouraging them to leave is also a form of silencing others... But I do agree with your logic as to why are they even here in the first place?

For example, if I ever typed "There is no god" (or anything else controversial) on this site, I would take on all comments and try to hold my ground to the best of my abilities. I'd never dream of blocking anyone that was respectfully disagreeing with me, because I love to have the debates. If one can't handle that, why put your opinions in public?

• Not encouraging them to leave but if they are finding it hard to grasp the concept of disagreeing with one another on a topic then there is just no point. Exactly, the opinions are on here to be debated and to have a wider view of other peoples thoughts on a subject, if those different opinions aren't wanted..why ask?

• Some people are only open-minded to their own opinions. I've been blocked several times because of that. I rarely use that button unless the person blocks me first or curses me out for believing what I do believe.

• Some people are just anal and block because they can

• Maybe there should be an appeal process and if a person blocks someone for no just cause, they should be penalized. Some people just want their own opinions confirmed and get mad when anyone disagrees, but then again, it is a free country. Shrug.

• Right, but given that our elected officials demonstrate this exact same behavior, wouldn't it be great if private entities (i.e. Girls Ask Guys) taught young people that there are better more constructive ways to deal with disagreements than plugging your ears and saying "Na na na, I can't hear you!" lol We're the future, and it seems pretty grim from what I reading on here.

• I like your suggestion, wpmason :D

• Some girl did the same exact thing to me. Because I gave my "personal opinion". I think it should be allowed for valid reasons, like spamming, harassment, things of that nature.

• Some people are really sensitive and block just for that

What Guys Said 5

• I find it hard to believe that the users of this site would want to give moderators any more power than they already have.

• Blocking is indispensible at putting some distance between you and someone you loathe.

• You should have the right to block whoever and whenever you please. You live with the consequences. The rules are right as they are. If you try to differentiate a good block from a bad block, it'll result in more contempt.

• Not every one on here is an adult, just like in real life.

• Right, but I see it as a teachable moment. If you aren't allowed to simply block a differing opinion, you learn how to deal with it in a civil manner (hopefully) which makes people act more mature in real life. Believe me, I do not expect anything to change, it's just an interesting thing to consider as a way of improving behavior. In theory, at least.

• You are right, most people begin to understand the concept of other people at an early age. The cases that didn't make it over this development al hurdle cause me to wonder ... see above ^

• People can simply hit the 'block' button on here for little or no reason. I had a user get butthurt because my answer wasn't good enough, so, she blocked me for it. But unlikely anything will be done about the blocking feature.

• Of course nothing will happen, I'm not that delusional. I just wanted to quantify how people felt about it.

• I wasn't saying you were. It's just one of those things here-you get blocked for nothing sometimes.