Why do so many people ask/answer questions anonymously?

I really don't understand this. I see lots of answers that aren't personal in the least or anything, and yet the answerer makes themselves anonymous. Same thing with really simple questions that have nothing to do with their specific situation.

I can understand if it's a personal question, or if it's a question about something that you don't want people on GAG to relate to you. But why ask a question about say, hair styles or what to wear as "Anonymous User"

Most Helpful Girl

• Most of the time, when I answer anonymously, it's because I am either going to say something rude, troll, don't feel comfortable with the question, don't want people to block me about my honest answer, or just feel safer in my cocoon of anonymity. For this question, I am feeling very safe in my anonymity cocoon and somewhat trolly, if that's a word, so I am answering anonymously. :P

• Why troll on here though? If you asked a question that was about dating or someone you liked, wouldn't you want people to try to help you get him instead of losing him? and what if he is asking stuff on here and you're interested in him, wouldn't you want the girls of GAG to make sure he isn't a d*** to you or take their troll advice and hurt you?

• I usually don't troll on questions where the question asker is asking a logical and important question. The trolling only kicks in when the question asker is also trolling or if the question is really idiotic.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't understand it either.

Sometimes the person also puts themself has anonymous because they leave a rather direct comment and do not want the person to take offense to it (and block them).

Others use anonymous to troll and say silly things.

So there's various reasons one may use it, not just for revealing private things.

• I get what you mean :P I think it depends- if its something quite revealing I think some people worry they'll get sexually harassed or something by other users. :L I think I've gone anon several times because I'm worried guys will get all weird and try to harass me about my details in my question before :L

• More people answer your question if you ask that way

• It keeps people from judging you based on it

• cuz some people are just creeps maybe? I asked a question about physics lol and had some guy asking about my body.

• I've noticed mostly guys ask like that and girls answer like that

• Because sometimes I feel like GaG, knows too much ¬.¬

• dont want to be blocked or harassed in personal messages for stupid things or my personal opinions. it has happened before. blocking affects my ability to answer questions and comment.

• I hear new users do that to accumulate points without anyone ever knowing who they are.

Another reason is to protect oneself from stalkers.

What Guys Said 1

• It annoys me too. I asked the same question in fact. Question 659810

They do it just to do it, because most people can't own up to their questions, or answers. Now if it's something embarrassing, then sure I can understand, but if it's something so bloody simple, then why bother answering if you're gonna go anon.

But I also know some of the women do it because they don't want guys adding them as friends...

• I can sorta understand for the girls not wanting tons of "friend requests" lol.

• Oh same here, but at the same time. Sometimes it seems that people post anon just to piss others off.