Should GAG have a 'Girls Only' and 'Guys Only' option for asking Questions?

asking that last Q made me think of this one.

when asking a question only meant for girls or only meant for guys, should there be a check box to block guy's from answering or bock girls from answering?

sometimes a Q really does not require answers from one gender at all, its just pointless for them to answer, yet they do anyway.

and it can be annoying because the site tells you there's a new answer and you're hoping its from the gender you wanna hear but then find out its the opposite and now your time has been wasted.

even if those Q's are rare.

what you think? I think there should be an option.

• There should be an option to block one gender from answering
  • Both should always be able to answer
  • Same to me
  • See results
if the site did have this option, would you use it?

i don't think many people would, since most of you don't even want the option to be a thing in the first place.
prof don, I blocked your ass, how the hell did you answer my Q and WHY the hell did you answer it if you have me blocked too?!

Most Helpful Girl

• I get what you're saying, but I'm going to have to say no. While some questions may be targeted at a specific gender and that gender may generally be able to give a more informative answer from experience, I think that the opposite gender [certain individuals I mean, depending on the situation] can sometimes, even if it's kind of rare, be able to offer more insight to an issue than many from the targeted gender can. I think it varies more by experience and knowledge, who they know, and ability to reason and put one's self in the other gender's shoes [or mind, if you will, lol].

I find myself answering a lot of questions that are intended for guys to respond and give their opinion or give information that may be known primarily by guys, and I think I [usually] do a good job of it. I've been 'one of the guys' for so long that I've absorbed years of unfiltered and uncensored thoughts, learned to understand how guys [in general] think and what drives those thought processes, and often 'think like a guy' in how I reason and interact with men, just out of habit. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I AM saying that I and some other random women can still offer valuable and informative feedback to a situation that mostly guys would understand or have experience in.

• makes sense but I don't think it would be a bad thing to have the option

• Nah, but I bet a lot of people would abuse it, just like they abuse the anon option, lol.

• dam those poople man... yes I meant to spell it that way

What Girls Said 10

• Thanks for the suggestion! You're right - sometimes what we want is just one gender's point of view. And the other members are correct - you can just say in your question, "Girls only" or "Guys only." Remember though - by doing so, you might end up blocking a really great answer.

While we don't actually have the option to "block" a gender's answer, we appreciate the suggestion, and will consider it. :)

• that's what you guys always say! lol

you did end up adding the feature last 2 times tho.

that was pretty cool.

• I suppose in certain situations when people ask questions they request answers from a specific sex and even though they may recieve answers from people who they dnt want answering the question I find it very insightful as to how everyone thinks.

I think posts should remain as they are simply because it may not be the " right person" who answered but doesn't mean they won't give a damn helpful good answer.

• No because even if something is aimed very much at one gender eg. Girls, do you have painful periods, a guy can always have valid comments like, my girlfriend suffers with this, any advice for her.

People will abuse it either way, there are going to be some people in the chosen gender for the question who will have no idea how to answer and will be more unhelpful.

• yeah but like I said, there's Q's where its really not at all needed for one to answer but they still do

• Yeah but my point is sometimes there is a need even if the question is designed for there to be. I understand what you're saying, I do, but I think sometimes the wrong gender can give a better answer.

• sometimes isn't always

• I guess it would make sense.

• nah..not really.

• No, you can always ask in your question that girls/guys only answer. Then only read the gender answers you want. So simple.

• its still a waste of time to come look at a new answer and find its from the wrong gender. I mean, all I had to do to avoid it was press a button. now I have to keep comin back.

• On your questions that you only want girls or guys opinions on. That way, you can sift out their answers. I didn't mean on this question.

• well I already do that but guys answer those too cause they're douches.

• No, maybe girls/guys know the answer that you need guys or girls to answer it.

• i'm talking about specific cases

• Will * I meant they will press that button all the time you know!

• i don't think they will tho. could be wrong, idk.

• Nooo. If you want guys only then only read the guy responses. sometimes the gender that you're not targetting has the best advice because they went through that situation too

• yeah but if its that one special circumstance where its completely useless for them to answer, then they're just waisting my time.

• No because then it takes the meaing of the site away.

• not if its only for specific Q's. those kind of Q's are pretty rare. plus most people wouldn't even use the option. but I'd like to know that I CAN use it.

• yes, sometimes it is pointless for the other gender to answer but a lot of times I'll see a question where the QA asks for only one gender to answer, but they actually could benefit from both genders. If there was an option to block one gender, I think a lot of people would abuse that.

and yeah...it can be annoying when you get your hopes up for a new answer and its the wrong gender...but its the same when you see a new answer (regardless of gender) and the answerer doesn't know what in the world they're talking about and the answer is completely useless haha.

So, in conclusion, I say no.

What Guys Said 8

• Potential for abuse is FAR too high on this option to have it on the site.

I will honestly say the anonymous feature is abused (trolling), to the point of having the ability to block anonymous users on this site to be implemented on your questions.

This site would be rendered useless if you block entire genders from answering.

Due to the amount of creepers on this site...some girls would block guys from most of their questions altogether, and YOU wouldn't be able to give your advice to girls cauz they blocked all the guys.

----------------

Interesting idea here dude...but it's not gonna happen. The means of the entire site would be compromised.

• Generally I'd say no, but there are certain questions were answers from the opposite gender are just not wanted. For instance when a girl asks GIRLS a question about underwear, I can understand why answers from males would be kinda wrong. Or if a guy asks GUYS about, I don't know, pain in the testicles, I can see why answers from girls would be kinda wrong. So for those cases, I'd say yes, that option wouldn't be a bad idea.

But the problem is, people would use it for everything...

• because there is no way of hiding your gender when you answer a question (even if you are anonymous it still shows whether you're male or female), if the question asker wants to ignore the answers from one gender, they are able to, meaning that there is no need to block them

• That would reduce xper and be good for the people making money off this site, not us.

You can ignore the other answers. You don't need administration to guide you in this process.

• yeah but its a waste of time to come see what someone might have said just to see its useless

• You take the good with the bad. If you want to join a web community built on people's opinions then expect some you don't agree with. They have the freedom to answer just like you have the freedom to complain.

• yeah true. I've used that defense before too haha

• no because even if a question aims at one gender, this doesn't mean that the other gender is not welcome to answer a question in any way, shape, or form

• I'd probably still use it even with this option

• Not a great idea, imho. Most of the QAs who are asking for only one gender to answer now are just guys pretending to be girls. Why humor them?

• haha if you say so

• Here's another obvious fake profile:

link

Watch the admins delete my response and say it's "irrelevant." Given the fact that the QA is so clearly a dude, I'd say my response is actually the most relevant on there so far, would you?

• If you can't handle an answer coming from the "wrong" gender, then there's something very f***ed up with your question.

• its not about handling it, its about not needing it. did you even read everything?

• If that was the case you could always just not read the damn thing.

Obviously if it even EXISTS, you have a problem with it.

• that would be rude and I don't like treating people like that. its just better for them not to answer.

why would I have a problem with it anyway?