Why do people keep asking questions that strangers can't know the answer to?

Why hasn't he returned my texts?

A: We don't know. There's a million reasons. Maybe he doesn't like you. Maybe he's dead. Maybe his phone died. Any answer from us is a guess.

Does he/she like me?

A: Probably not, probably so... I can guess "yes" if it makes you feel better.

"Is he/she cheating on me?"

A: Yes, now go kill yourself please... OK honestly we're only guessing. Whatever "reasons" you gave in your post for suspecting him are circumstantial and/or downright speculation. It's obvious that you don't trust him/her, but that's all we really know.

You get the drift. I'm pretty sure that everybody on here can rationally answer MY question honestly, truthfully, and accurately than so many questions on here all the while with less speculation...

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes I think it's just for reassurance. It's like talking to your best friend and asking him/her what's up with that guy/girl? She doesn't know either but she can only guess. It's to have some opinions and ideas other than your own ideas.

Like the texting: why isn't he texting me back? You can say he doesn't have the time, bla bla bla, but someone on GAG here can maybe think of other reasons that you can't think of? It's a different point of view, to have someone listen to you and give you advice.

I think sometimes it's like talking to a friend because nobody can handle everything on their own. When that person really doesn't know what to do or think, they don't always think of the most logical explanation, some people here might give them that explanation.

• Alright. That makes sense.

So when people complain about lack of texts, they really might be looking for an answer such as:

"There's a million reasons that might have led to him not texting you back. Maybe his phone died."

If so, I'll keep giving answers like that. I just feel like an ass pointing out the obvious (that we can't know) sometimes.

• You're talking to Captain Obvious here and people still come to me for advice, haha, so I guess it's just some kind of reassurance and comfort they're looking for. When a guy isn't texting me, I'll call my friend and say: what a douche, he said he'd text and he's just ignoring me! She'll be like: ah, forget about him, enough other guys that you can get to know out there!

I think it's a bit like that

What Girls Said 8

• Welcome to GAG.

• It's true, you only get half the story, don't know the people involved or the situation. When I answer these type question I think kinda like this "what are reasons I wouldn't return someone's text?" answer: are they being clingy, did they do something to make me mad, am I not really into the person texting me?

Translate that into an answer for someone else, encourage them to talk about it face to face with thier guy/gal and hope that it gives some insight to calm thier nerves. When people are worked up they don't tend to think straight missing even generic, obvious answers. I don't claim to know anything, I just hope to help someone think about it.

• Sometimes strangers can't now the answer, but a lot of times they can because even though we are strangers to each other; we are connected by similar experiences and feelings. Someone who is just a stranger to you may have dealt with the issue you're talking about first hand or they may have observed that issue play out among people and know exactly how that course runs.

Yes, there are some details that we couldn't possibly know as strangers, but that doesn't mean that we can't give insight and advice as strangers. Which is what people are looking for. You think that we should stop coming here and seeking advice because "strangers can't know the answers to our questions"? Lol, then there would be no purpose in this website.

• Some people, myself included, want a shoulder of support and sometimes need to be pushed into recognizing the glaring truth. Others just want you to encourage them, regardless of the consequences.

• Lol! I agree. Good question

• Word. :p

• These are women questions seeking emotional comfort.

• I suppose I can't answer your question, since I don't know the answer o.o

• I think you can rationally answer my question better than you can any of the questions I presented within ;)

• Ok, maybe you can answer this one better then. A week ago I texted one of my friends "Damnit, it's gonna take me a week to work off this Dorito Taco Supreme! I think I won't order any more of those... but they are so yummy..." and he didn't text back. Does he not want to be my friend anymore?

• Aha wow. Obviously I wouldn't know..maybe he doesn't want a fathead friend eating taco bell at risk of getting diabetes? Who knows..theres no specific answer. But the Doritos Taco supreme is pretty badass. Just saying ^_^

What Guys Said 2

• Well because they want to hear and other people opinion and then to make a go for it they just want to make sure that what they think is rely the right thing it's how thing's go in this life but we all have the answer's just some people are to lazy to think

• Maybe they think he/she would be around here to answer that question.