ONLY being able to inbox message "friends"; do you feel this change on GaG was needed? Do you agree with this?

I noticed this change...and I was wondering what your users think about this change to the site.

I know that some people want others to send them a message to their inbox before adding them, and that makes sense (and I am one of those users that would inbox the person that was friend requested).

Also...I do understand the problem of harassment and internet stalkers at the same time (which is why I think think this change was made).

--------

Do you think this change, of ONLY being able to inbox message friends, is a needed and a positive change for GaG?

Thanks for your input, and I'm quite sure the admins will see your feedback on this question. :)

• Yes, this change is a good thing
  • No, this change was unnecessary
If you want to be able to receive messages from other users that aren't on your friends list, go to your settings and uncheck the box.

Thanks, taster, for passing that info on to me. 8-)

Most Helpful Guy

• It should be optional.

If people have beef that needs to be settled, it's better they do it via PMs rather than have a flame war in a question and involve too many other people.

What Girls Said 8

• I don't think it's a good change really; I don't see how it's necessary. If someone's stalking you ... block them.

I'm right in assuming that if a user is blocked the can't message you? If that wasn't the case, then maybe that's the change that should have been made.

• Just to let you know...when you block a user, that person can't inbox message you.

I taught you something today...im proud cauz you seem so smart already! :)

• Well - I said that's what I thought it was- educated guess and I was right. I like that I'm pretty ignorant about that - it means I haven't been blocked by many people ;)

• Cant say the same for myself...i've been getting blocked a lot more frequently in the past few months lmao.

I suppose that I'm becoming more polarizing! :-P

• Why not just block the stalker? I have messaged and received messages from users who are not my friend. I don't see the point.

• I'm indifferent to changes like that. If the person ends up seeming creepy or there's something else I really don't like about them, I'll just delete them. Although I usually read a few questions and answers the person has posted before I accept a friend request, just to get a feel for who they might be.

• Unnecessary, but maybe that's because I don't care who I friend on here.

• It's a good decision because I know of a couple of users who have been stalked(literally, stalked by loonies on this site).

Speaking of stalking, there seems to be a particular almost 30 year old virgin on here who creates multiple accounts daily to ask questions nonstop and with those accounts, he enjoys answering my questions. I won't say names, but I will say he had an account, deleted it and created another account and continues to act like a retard.

• I guess I don't mind if you have the option to block messages from nonfriends...I have actually tried to message you and was unable...but I don't think that option should automatically be decided..in other words...if you want that option, then YOU should go in and check that box blocking nonfriends from messaging rather than all the rest of us having to go uncheck it.

• Thanks for the tip, I was going to actually email you and let you know why I didn't add you. But you know now I wasn't able to inbox you to explain. I don't accept friend request , I just give advice. But if I start you will be at the top of the list.

• Yes I agree on that. That's how it should have been in the first place.

• When did that happen? I have no friends but I still get messages often

What Guys Said 5

• I asked something similar recently link

I don't like it sometimes I want to message someone for more info on a question or if I add someone as a friend I want them to know why I added them. I think it defeats the purpose to have that feature.

• No I don't like it at ALL...I don't usually need to message my friends..I can chat with most of them...maybe even e-mail...but now...with most strangers, I have to converse with them publicly or not at all..I realize that there is the option to turn the message back on...but I doubt that everyone is even aware of the situation...maybe it would be OK if THEY chose the option for Friend Only Messages..but after all..they could always block. I used to message non-friends on here quite a bit and that is not flying at the current time../:/:/:

• I don't care either way. If it comes down to it, I'm fine with giving them an IM chat I have on Yahoo or MSN.

• Given the state of the sheer insanity that goes on here that we don't know about, plus the amount of feedback admin receives from users, it's not surprising. Of course, admin could have acted on their own accordance, because not only does someone have to be a 'friend' to get a message, they have to be such to make wall posts as well.

• This was a really bad idea