Do you read other answers before submitting your own?

Suppose, you see a question you'd like to answer. You know how to answer it. Before submitting your own answer, do you read what other people had to say? Please, explain your approach.

Reading other answers may change your opinion of the question and the asker. You may no longer wish to answer the question and your point of view will not be known. You may not add weight to a similar viewpoint, if you think one answer is enough. This argument is in favor of not reading the answers first.

Most Helpful Girl

• If the situation is complicated / the whole story is not stated / I believe key points were left out: I would take a look at other peoples' responses first (including the QA's to theirs).

If it is simple or I want to be blunt yet informative, I will give my answer before reading other answers.

The same goes for if I know I have a very detailed response/experience; I want my response to reflect myself only.

If I want to be effective (emotionally), I will look at how the QA has responded to other peoples' answers before answering.

• I will also look if I'm not sure if I want to put in the effort to answer. I will check to see if someone has answered the question to my satisfaction or if the QA's responses to their answers make me think that I don't want to bother (QA thinks too differently compared to me for my answer to be of worth).

What Girls Said 14

• I usually don't. I like to just type out what I know I want to say first. Sometimes I will glance before I answer, but I try not to read them all fully. I don't always even read them after I answer haha

• Usually yes. It depends how many answers there already are. If there's more than, say, eight answers from each gender, I just scan instead of fully read, unless somebody says something that really captures my attention.

I never just answer without looking at any others at all, though.

• Sometimes I do, other times I go back and read them right after I submit mine. I can't really say what decides which route I take because it's totally random. Sometimes the answers and comment exchanges inspire something else I want to add to my original post.

• I generally don't read answers to a question before I leave an answer myself, because I want my answer to be 100% mine and not get influenced by others. But honestly there are some questions that I KIND OF form an opinion about, but I want to read what others said first to help me fully develop my kind-of idea. Very interesting question, I've never thought about this before! And by the way I didn't read the other answers on your question before posting mine lol

• nah, never do. sometimes I read other answers after I answer, but if I read it before I might comment more on those answers than on the actual question x)

• Usually I type my answer first. If I read answers before I type mine I will lose my train of thought. I usually read the other answers before I submit mine in case someone says something I want to reiterate or elaborate on.

• I do because I find it intersting on what other people have to say. Sometimes it stops me from answering though because someone else says pretty much what I had planed to and I feel maybe they even said it better then I could have.

• Sometime because. Repeat answers don't earn best answer

• I almost never

• Yes, but it doesn't necessarily change my thoughts or opinions towards the answer

• Sometimes

• AOnly if its a question I really like or id like to know the answers to

• Sometimes

• I have a question for you. Can we communicate through the messaging system? There's something I'd like to know. You can unfriend me after you answer my question. Thank you.

• Alright, add me then.

• at update: You are right.

• It depends. Most of the times I just scroll down to read very fast some lines about what you guys are talking about.

What Guys Said 9

• Not usually. I have a pretty good outline of what I am going to answer with so I don't need to look at others' to decide what I am going to write. Occasionally I will if it is a subject I don't have much information on so that I can confirm my answer.

• Usually, I do. If someone has already stated the same information that I have on something, I might just comment or add to it if I agree with it. Often, there's no point in repeating something that's already been said, especially if the question is informative in nature.

Sometimes, if the question is like this one (basically a poll), I'll answer without bothering to read others' comments first, though I usually read them after.

• It depends on the question. If it's a serious question, I read other answer first. If it's just a random question (like: What's your favorite song?), I just answer, and move on.

• most of the time no, so I give honest unbiased answers.

• Sometimes yes. Other times, no. It depends on what the question is.

• Sometimes I do or someime I won't scroll down at all and just respond looking at the question asker's question.

• Sometimes I do. A lot of the time I don't, though.

• Well sometimes I'm to lazy to read them... damn I didn't read them this time either...

• normally I read the answers first